ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

induction kits...

ok i miss the sound my ptperx used to make on the valver! so i is defo gettin a new one for the cup for chrimbo.

Only thing is, ive spoken to so many peeps who got theirs then had to remap the chip, due to various problems!

any views? ive been a good boy all year long!

danny ive read this so many times but with no true answer. i run a "green" replacement filter with no other mods,so do i need a chipping too!

Your a brave boy getting a cup in the winter! I spoke to a 172 owner who fitted a carbon viper kit with relocation pipe with no problems. If you plan to modify your 172s quite a bit you might as well get a chip anyway..cheap power after all.

I think your also brave to risk invalidating your warranty on a brand new car also!

by brave u mean abs?

i think geoff on this forum has a viper, or is it his mate, i was speakin to him at brands, but he needed a remap! :confused: as did his mate with a hillpower one.

grrrr or was it geoff with the hill power???? doh?

Silver Fabia vRS

Ive got the Hill Power and Chris (aka Chris172) has the ViperX. Mine has just had the fuleing remapped by Nick Hill but Chris has gone for a K-Tec Exhaust and a Superchip too.

As far as I understand air filters / induction kits this is:

At WOT (Wide Open Throttle) an Induction kit lets a lot more air in, especially if like Chris and I you have a cold air feed. A replacement filter only lets a little more in as it is simply made from a different material to the original paper filter. Im sure with a replacement filter you wont need a remap. The problem with an Induction is this. Normally when you drive the lambda sensors constantly monitor and change the fuel to air mixture. When you are booting the car at WOT lambda doesnt work, so the car is getting a lot more air but not enough fuel and leads to the car running lean. Hence a remap.

I hope thats right?

thanks geoff! i was chattin to chris @brands its kinda good cos im torn between the hillp and the viper! lol!

how are you findin it? hill power told me theyll do the remap for free will the induction

The viper looksss cool. Ive heard that they give better bhp than k&n and the like too, not sure bout hillpower as i m a k-tec racing fan :D

Silver Fabia vRS

Find the Hill Power kit really good...lovely noise. Performance wise mine was a development kit so Im going back to see Nick at the start of next year for his public fuel map which should hopefully get me around 10-15bhp at the wheels, at the moment I only had an increase of 4bhp at the wheels.

I think you will find Nicks kit is just as good as the ViperX, if not better becuase it is made specifically and is a lot cheaper than a ViperX and Superchip route.

Silver Fabia vRS

Yeah my remap was free becuase it was a development kit but I think he will charge for it now. Not too sure so getin touch with him if you have any queries...hes a really nice bloke.

ViperX is about £250 and the Hill Power Induction is going to be around £200

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Geoff was right when he says about fueling @WOT but, when i went on the rollers before the remap and with the Viper and K-Tec exhaust it was not as expected. It was lean at mid point and massivley over fueling at WOT. Which tends me to think that all installations/combinations of IK/zorst need individual treatments to rectify any anomolies to running, if there is any.

I think you need to make your decission on which IK you want to go with and then have it checked on a rolling road capable of reading Co2 readings and if all is well then great, no extra expense. Then if you want the extra BHP/Torque, go for the remap at a later date, but if there is a problem then be prepared to have it remapped for the whole nine yards and expect 180+bhp:D.

My whole concern with fitting the Viper, which I had bought 3 months prior to fitting was the fueling and the chipping and the liability with the insurance. On further investigation the insurance wasnt a major problem so I went the whole hog, which in retrospect, was absolutely necessary.

Which ever way you go good luck!

indeed, i was opposite, and took me and the supplier 3 weeks to make a suitable serial program to get fueling and ignition right (this is in Hong Kong, not the best tunning world).

but it does feel a tad better and the wail at 7750rpm is amazing.

and is about as far as you can go really on a std 172 without MAJOR surgery.

Clio 1.6 16V

Chris, if you dont mind me asking what was the rough increase in your insurance premium when declaring an induction kit and performance exhaust?

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Norwich Union Direct clobbered me £26 for the remainder of the year..(3months)

Got a quote from Elephant for £450 including chip, IK & zorst.....renew in Jan:D

Clio 1.6 16V

Cheers Chris, not too bad really. I have recently fitted a K&N 57i and plan to fit a Magnex at the turn of the new year, so will declare the mods to the insurance then. Good quote from Elephant too! My renewal is due Feb ... worth looking at!

Quote: Originally posted by chris172 on 11 December 2002

Norwich Union Direct clobbered me £26 for the remainder of the year..(3months)

Got a quote from Elephant for £450 including chip, IK & zorst.....renew in Jan:D
Not as bad as tesco, they charged me £14 for 3 days! I only put alloys on. I wished I hadnt told them. And because of that, even though they were cheaper, they lost my custom. I may need the money I would have saved, but I also have princaples...b******s!

Paul

GEOFF...

when you say performance kit, what is that?

ive spoken to the geezer at hill power, top bloke! he says hell do remap as part of package!

Silver Fabia vRS

It is basically a pre-production model so that Nick could iron out any problems if they cropped up before selling it. Nothing different about it though so dont worry!