ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Inner ARB bush help

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
I've been changing the inner ARB bushes on my Cup today. Getting the old ones off was the easy part, getting the new ones in was a struggle and it appears nigh-on impossible to get the clasp to close to get the bolts back in.

Any tips or secrets on how to close the clasp? I can't find any point to lever against and I've now run out of patience (and knuckle skin).

Any help appreciated.

I had this problem when fitted my polybushes. The best thing to do is find a longer bolt that can go through both sides of the clasp then get the nut on and do it up as hard as you can! Painful job through especially with no room to work with!

Nick

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
I had this problem when fitted my polybushes. The best thing to do is find a longer bolt that can go through both sides of the clasp then get the nut on and do it up as hard as you can! Painful job through especially with no room to work with!

Nick

Cheers, I'm gonna have a rummage in the fitting shop at work tonight for some longer bolts. Renault don't make things easy.

longer bolts is a going to help although i did (eventually) manage to use the original ones when i did mine. it was v fiddly though - one hand to use a screwdriver to push the clamp in, other hand for the nut/bolt

Clio II 1.4 16v
I've been changing the inner ARB bushes on my Cup today. Getting the old ones off was the easy part, getting the new ones in was a struggle and it appears nigh-on impossible to get the clasp to close to get the bolts back in.

Any tips or secrets on how to close the clasp? I can't find any point to lever against and I've now run out of patience (and knuckle skin).

Any help appreciated.

Hi, I'm replying from half the world away (GMT +7:00). Here in Jakarta Clios are rare, but followers are faithful.

I just got my ARB bushes replaced at official Renault dealer, and they let me into their workshop and watch them work. They use a special kind of clamp to squeeze the center rubber part of the bushing, so the bottom clasp can reach the thread of the bolt.

The clamp is designed that the bolt can go through the bottom clamp arm, so after the clamp gets tightened and the center rubber part squeezed, then the bottom clasp get fastened.

Labor takes less than 45 mins. Unfortunately I don't know what that tool is called. G'luck!

Octavia vRS tfsi
I used a G-clamp.

Put two of the bolts that hold the triangular plate underneath back in, put a piece of flat metal up against them and use that as a point to brace the G-clamp on one end and up against the inner bush bracket on the other.

That was my solution! Plus curse. Cursing helps.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Is this any easier to do when the ARB is off the car and re-fitted?

Just a thought as I have one being powdercoated at the moment

They are a pain ! Renault do have a special tool for the job , which I found out after!

I did mine a week or two ago , I used big mole grips , pref the body panel type , clamp it from a bit of a distance but it's still a pain trying to get them go back on !