ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Inner Steering Joints on Clio 172 Cup

320td Daily XR2t Toy
Hi,

I need to replace the Nearside Inner Steering Joint. having trouble finding on for less than £45. Was looking at one on ebay then twiged there all the same and the 172 has a wider track and they cant be the same went into renault and £45 feels a bit steep when standard clio ones are £20.

Rang Clio spares they only sell complete racks.

Any suggestions where to get one from or just bite the bullet and get the renault one?

Cheers
James

330i. E30 Touring.
Just get the Renault one. At least then you can guarantee it's correct. Speak to Wests on here, see if they can do any discount? Oh, and you need a special tool to fit them. Basically a big 32mm spanner/crows foot with a bit taken off it.

Dodgy one
Assuming its never been replaced £45 doesnt sound expensive when itl last 10 years as opposed to 2-3 years for a cheap one!

the part is dealer only anyway as spurious ones are too short!

The tool is £60, makes it a lot easier but isnt a nessecity, i reckon i couldve done it without the tool.

My 172 Cup has just failed it's MOT on the inner joint and I popped by my Unipart motor factors to grab a new one.

They listed one for TRW racks and another for SMI, KOYO AND J-TEKT.

I thought I'd have a nosey online to see which a Cup would likely to use and then I notice that the Cup ones are apparently a dealer only purchase.

There surely must be a brand which makes the longer Cup ones?

With regards to the tool required to change the rods - is that due to access? I intend to do the job at the weekend ready for a retest. Would usually use adjustables.

Just noticed some listed online as 287mm and others as 296mm. Does 296mm ring a bell to anyone for cup ones?

No. thats far too short. They are around 318mm measured from the mating surface of the rod/steering rack to the end of the outer thread (which is what the quoted lengths above will be). The total length of the part being about 335mm. Aftermarket places don't quote the right part. You could also search my most recent thread for more info which you may find helpful?http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?675576-possible-cheaper-inner-track-rod&p=9248668

Last edited: