ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

inner track to steering rack joints query

Have taken hubs out and got new bearings pressed in and when my hand was better (buggered it playing football) was going to put it all back together. However have noticed movement in drivers side track rod that is not in rack or on other side ( so must be inner joint, outer one is fine). Dealer said I will have to buy whole new arm (£48+ VAT) and did I have male or female track rod ends. I have two wee questions, can anybody offer advice - 1) My rod is threaded with the track rod end having a pinch bolt does this mean I have female track rod ends. 2) Renault dealer says inner joint is dead easy to get off, you just unscrew it, is he correct, anybody taken steering rod off rack. Is it easy, aint removed gaitor yet as cant use my right hand (w**kers cramp Ha HA), also is it worth doing as the play is not huge, but noticable

its female if the track rod has the thread inside, male if its on the outside. easy to do, unlock and unscrew.

Yeah thats cool but have you taken of inner one before, Seen what new assembly looks like, with strange locking washer. Dealer told me you destroy old one taking it off, so does this also mean it will be a bugger to free off, and also will rack rotate or is it locked, am I being paranoid, does it actually come off fairly easily, just cant be arsed damaging rack, to get rid of sucha small amount of play in joint. Would have sussed this out myself but with gammy hand, car is in bits and cant put it back together yet, and I am just wondering if this is worth doing or is it too much hassle

Alex M