ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Installing brake discs on 172

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

My new discs and pads have just arrived, and my plan is to install them on the weekend.

This is the disc...
http://www.powerbrake.co.za/pics/disc_road_sport_01.jpg

Pads are Ferodo DS2500.

Now Ive got a couple questions as this is the first time Im installing new discs on the car by myself.

1.)The instructions state that the hub should be totally cleaned of any excess rust or other dirt (till the surface is silver and clean). This part is easy, but what comes next confuses me. The instructions state that I have to measure the runout using a dial gauge. What is runout?

2.)Has anyone used DS2500 pads for road use? The pad packaging states they are for racing only, yet they were the pads recommended for these discs and spirited road use

I didnt do any of that fella, just 2 torx screws holding old discs on, undo them (Preferably with a impact driver), remove old discs, replace with new discs.

I have never used Ferodos so cannot comment

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

just 2 torx screws holding old discs on, undo them (Preferably with a impact driver)

Oh dear...all I have are the standard torx screwdriver which came with the car

You may be ok fella, its just mine were stuck solid and I rung the heads off with my normal Torx screwdriver. I had to drill mine out in the end.

Lionel Richie

get someone to put their foot on the pedal when you undo the 2 torx screws, they "shouldnt" be on tight

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

im now running this set up ferodos with standard new discs, did them at the weekend and they are mint, get them warm-ish and their bite is amazing!!! two things...

1. these pads were too big to fit in the caliper housing, you will need to grind abit off if they wont fit in, just alittle off each end untill they are a nice snug fit..... not too loose though

2. its a trox 40 bit you need for the discs, mine were easy to get out, but was told by a mate machanic to give the screws a few hard taps with a hammer to loosen them off, this should be enough

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Installed the discs and pads on Saturday. Everything was quite effortless except for removing the discs which took about 30 minutes of hammering and a lot of loosening oil to remove.

The 2 torx screws came out every easily though and the pads needed grinding to fit (but then again so did my previous set of ATe pads)

The disc and pad combo has amazing bite even from cold, even though Im still bedding them in. Cant wait till I can put them to full use

Where did they need grinding out of interest? :confused:

As for the torq bolts holding the disks on as fred said they shouldnt be tight and you dont actually need them, its not like the disk is going to fall off! lol

Weeman sucks ****

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 18 August 2005get someone to put their foot on the pedal when you undo the 2 torx screws, they "shouldnt" be on tight

Ive changed 2 sets of discs and pads so far and never do them up tight. Came off quite easy last week when I did them.

Very easy job, make sure you have a G clamp big enough to push the piston back in on the caliper or youll be swearing like i did lol. Neighbours are a great help sometimes.

Actually got the Ferodo DS2500s myself, still bedding in but feel much better than the renault ones which werent bad either really.

If you have any build up on the hub just get some snad paper to take it off.

[Edited by CHRIS172CUP on 8/22/2005 12:15:07 PM]

You don;t grind any of the pad away, just dont use the metal clips...oh dear!