ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance advice

Clio 1.2
Hi guys, I'm meant to be picking up a 182 in two weeks time, I was going be going with Greenlight but unfortunately they cant insure me until I'm 21, but I turn 21 at the beginning of November, currently with admiral on a multi car policy so does anyone know if I can keep the 182 on the policy for a month then remove the 182 and switch to Greenlight?

Not sure if it will affect anything...

Last edited by a moderator:
The insurance section may help you more, but yes you could put the car on a policy then cancel - you'd have to pay the full premium, then cancel and get the remaining cost back as a refund. Or just don't drive the 182 until you're 21...

Clio 1.2
Yeahh I need to pick the 182 up soon so that's the problem I'm having, you cant pay monthly then cancel can you?

Also sorry didn't know where the insurance section was! haha

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Pick it up then cancel within the cooling off period? The problem with insuring it early is that when you cancel, being with Admiral, they'll probably take quite a bit from you as admin fees etc, and they'll round the month up I assume.

Clio 1.2
Would I be able to pick it up then change it back to my 1.2 in the cooling off period? then cancel and move to greenlight?

It's a lot of hassle but if it means it all gets sorted it's worth doing...

Edit -

Just looked on temp cover, they don't touch sports but I can insure my 1.2 for 300 for a month :(

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
What is so important about this particular car ? Why not get one when all is easy in November or later next year ?!

Got any friends that can add it to a trade policy to please the bean counters and leave it on the driveway until you can take the policy as your own ?

Clio 1.2
I've got it at a good price mate...

I'll have a chat with one of the guys now see if he can add it to his policy! :)

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
If you HAVE to buy this car then buy it, and keep it on your drive until you turn 21. It's only one month away by the time you pick the Clio up, I'm sure you could go without a car until then?

In the meantime, get quotes for November, they will be cheaper as you are getting them in advance, kinda like how a train ticket works. Don't see why insurance is cheaper buying it one month in advance than buying it for the cover to start the next day. The risks for the insurer are still the same. But it does lower your premium if you buy your cover in advance.

PB Clio 172
you can get temp cover theses days

or get someone else to pick it up and park it on a drive for a month or two- easy

also Greenlight are so helpful give them a bell

Clio 1.2
Yeahh came off the phone with them then started this thread, The guy I spoke to said the underwriters wouldn't allow me to have the 182 on there and because we tried for the 182 they will most likely say to the the 1.2 aswell...

I'm trying to find someone with a trailer but that's proving difficult at the moment aswell...

If you already have insurance with Admiral then they *should* let you add the 182 as a rolling temp car...

I've done this in the past.

Ford Mustang 5.0
Our age limit is stricly 21 and over. I did ask our underwriters if they would bend the rules and let us put you on at 20 but unfortuntaly its not possible.

It could of been better to take a 2nd annual policy with Admiral on the 1.2 Clio and then Cancel after a month. I believe Admiral offer a Pro-Ratta Cancellation meaning that you only have to pay for the days you use and a £40 admin fee.

We have got the policy all ready for when you turn 21.

Best regards
neil
greenlight

MR2 Mk1.5
Have you been in touch with us? Our age, car and postcode restrictions are a lot more relaxed than most of our competitors..

Tel: 01707 642552

skyfbimage_zpsf8bef167.jpg