ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance for young driver in Ireland

Clio 1.2 Extreme
I'm 18 now, turning 19 when i'll be on the road. I got a quote from Britton Insurance for 2500 euro in a 2002 1.2 Clio Extreme,no modifications or anything for when i'm 18. Did the same details and everything for when I was 19 and got a quote for around 1700 euro. It's literally a month between when i'm 18 and 19. That is the cheapest i've got so far but I want to get insured when i'm 18, is there any way you can haggle your insurance company and tell them im paying 800 more for 1 month?

Also, wheres cheap on insurance in Ireland, it's a joke how much young drivers have to pay to get on the road!

Thank you

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Quote for me when I was 17 and just passed on a 1995 Clio was six grand. Car was worth 300 quid, if that - clearly they thought I was going to write it off every time I got in it!

Needless to say - I didn't buy the car :smile: Even now on a 1.2 Dynamique I'm paying £800 a year - with a year of no claims as well, aged 22. I can insure 190mph sports bikes for less than that, and make far more of a mess of me crashing one as well...

Clio 1.2 Extreme
If it wasn't for the social side, I'd probably get a motorbike TBH, but I love driving. Insurance companies know that we will pay mad amounts of money because we want to drive around and look good in our car full with people, they have us sussed out :laughing: I've had a few 6 grand quote in my time, not a good sight to see the car of your dreams so expensive to insure.

Not gonna lie, but £1800 seems pretty reasonable for a first car from figures I've heard recently.

When I passed 7 years ago I was paying £1350, but it was meant to be £1750 before they included my Pass Plus!