ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance wont let me change suspension... what do i do?

Twingo GT
I bought a set of wheels and coilovers for my twingo GT. Im 18 and with 1st central insurance (went with them because they were cheap, and before I was interested in modifying cars). I phoned them up today and asked how much I would be to declare the modifications, at which point I was told that they would decline cover if any suspension changes were made. Ive just spent quite a lot of money on coilovers, and quite a lot on wheels (which would look horrific at standard height), so what do I do?

My current insurance is £750 or so, and when I looked up quotes with the modifications declared I would be around £850. The problem is that I have had this insurance through 1st central for 4 months, so If i cancelled it I would get £500 odd back (estimate), so I would need to fork out £350 which I dont want to do, and lose my 4 months of no claims.

Totally unsure on what to do now, as dont want to put them on as they say they wont cover me, but dont exactly want to spend even more money on insurance! The insurance would get renewed in October and I dont want to wait that long :/

Phone them back and say it wasn't made clear in the policy that modifications weren't acceptable and that competitions are offering it, ask why they are refusing to offer it and if they are willing to lose custom over it

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I think you probably already know the answer . You either wait til October and take out insurance with a company that will cover your mods or you cancel your existing insurance and go elsewhere . You options are very limited to be honest . And i'd also be surprised if you got back £500 from your existing insurance company after 4 months .

172 cup
Ring your insurance back up ask about the suspension then ask to speak to there manager, say to the manager how ludicrous there policy and all you want to do is upgrade your suspension to make it a nicer drive, also ask is he willing to lose bussniess over this and there must be something he can do.

May or May not work but it's not going to cost you anything trying(request a callback)

Good luck

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
suppose your best bet is wait until you have your years ncb then change policy.

personally id just fit it anyway, declaring mods isn't something id be interested in lol

Twingo GT
I already have a years no claims, and no modifications are fitted yet. I'll give them a phone again tomorrow and see if I can work something out I suppose. Just a pain as I thought any insurer would let you modify your car if you paid the fees. Just another pain that I didnt need. Insurance companies really do take the mick.

Twingo GT
Why didn't you ask your insurance before spending money on mods?

I did. Alloy wheels are fine, but they were very vague on suspension. Was told "It doesnt say anything about suspension... It should be fine". Suspension came up cheap so I bought it, figuring I could work something out.

Clio 182 arctic
I did. Alloy wheels are fine, but they were very vague on suspension. Was told "It doesnt say anything about suspension... It should be fine". Suspension came up cheap so I bought it, figuring I could work something out.

Did you really ring up before....really?

Because if you did I would have told them on the phone that you called beforehand and was told it would be fine. They will dig out the transcript from the call and probably offer to insure the mods. That is of course if you did call them.

Twingo GT

Because if you did I would have told them on the phone that you called beforehand and was told it would be fine. They will dig out the transcript from the call and probably offer to insure the mods. That is of course if you did call them.

I phoned them last tuesday as thats when I bought my wheels and was considering coilovers. The bloke on the phone said that they should be fine, as he couldnt see why they wouldnt be, but told me that I would need to pay to have the modifications insured and an admin fee. Fair enough. The bloke today wasnt sure and asked a manager, who said they wouldnt cover me. I didnt pay much for the coilovers so im not worried as i'm not exactly out of pocket, but still annoyed about the hassle. Will give them another ring tomorrow.

Twingo GT
:banghead: Which one is it? Jeez

I wouldn't spend any sort of money on modifications unless I knew I could actually put them on my car.

Spent a lot of money in the sense that im on apprentice wage, and for what I paid it's a lot out of my paycheck, however they were not expensive for what they are, so will get my money back if I need to sell them. I've obviously made a mistake buying them before confirming 100% with the insurance company, and appreciate that fact. I just wanted the opinion of someone who had gone through this before, to see whether it is better to wait it out, or change insurer.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Should of kept schtum as I doubt they would have spotted them even if you did have a crash. If you do swap em back before its inspected ;).. I'd guess they'll be looking now. What about lowering springs?

Should of kept schtum as I doubt they would have spotted them even if you did have a crash. If you do swap em back before its inspected ;).. I'd guess they'll be looking now. What about lowering springs?

How do you swap it back if you're in hospital though? :)

I get what you're saying, but you really cannot guaruntee that!

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean

Surprised you didn't go with this TBH.

Clio Initiale 2005
Wish I could have gotten insurance for £750 when I was 18! I think you'd best call them back and argue your case, and if they still refuse I'd personally wait till the insurance needs renewing... If you could put up waiting 8 months!

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
It probably says something in your insurance documents so it's unlikely to be the insurance company's fault, more likely yours for not reading your terms & conditions. Lesson learned.

Ring up your insurance company, tell them to insure the mods, if they say no then tell them to f**k off, and put you through to cancellations department.
Once you've cancelled, get insurance from someone else and take the loss on the chin like a man.

It's only money ffs, don't let it rule your life.

/hippy.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ring up your insurance company, tell them to insure the mods, if they say no then tell them to f**k off, and put you through to cancellations department.
Once you've cancelled, get insurance from someone else and take the loss on the chin like a man.

It's only money ffs, don't let it rule your life.

/hippy.

Aye... losing 4 months of no claims isnt exactly the end of the world tbh. Id rather lose the 4 months and have a better looking/handling car than wait the remaining 8 months and have the parts sitting there teasing me!