ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intel X58 or Intel P55 chipset?

182FF with cup packs
It's new PC time, as I realised today that my motherboard is 5 1/2 years old :S:S

In the past I have always bought the top of the line board available, usually one that's fantastic for overclocking, and I always have intentions to overclock the s**t out of it.

But I never do. I never get round to it.

So, that being said, is it worth me ponying up the extra cash for a X58 chipset, or will the P55 suffice.

There will be gaming, but not loads (that's what my 360 is for), but i would like it not to chug like a b*****d when I actually try a new game out (I started playing Aion recently, and in cities, I'm down at 5-10fps :dapprove:).

Price isn't really a factor, but if I can save £80-100 on the motherboard then i can spend it on another hard drive for my NAS, or beer, or a couple of tanks of petrol or something ;)

182FF with cup packs
Imo, I'd go for X58. I've got my eye on this.....

http://uk.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=W7i5W4Pw4fH22Mih&templete=2

....if I upgrade in the near future. :)

D.

That was one of the X58's i was looking at. either that on, or : http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2958

Is the solid money on NVidia video cards these days? I'm so out of the loop these days it's not even funny, but I refuse to have someone else build a gaming rig for me :D

Better than yours. C*nt.
Nope! Hold fire for the 5870x2. By all accounts it's going to rape nVidia - and hard.

Every card is going to rape the previous one. It's progress. Nvidia and ATI have been sword fighting for a long time. Nothing new.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Every card is going to rape the previous one. It's progress. Nvidia and ATI have been sword fighting for a long time. Nothing new.

That's not entirely true though is it - ATI have forever been swiping at the mid-range cards but it's a long while since their flagship has been able to knock nVidia's flagship for six. The 5870 is the first ATI card to properly swipe at the nVidia single GPU flagship, and it's not far off taking the 295 off the top spot as well - that's a dual GPU card with nearly twice the frame buffer!!!

The 5870 will leave nVidia reeling I think, and they've got a lot of work to do to get Fermi into a position where it can even be taken seriously, let alone brought to market!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
That's not entirely true though is it - ATI have forever been swiping at the mid-range cards but it's a long while since their flagship has been able to knock nVidia's flagship for six. The 5870 is the first ATI card to properly swipe at the nVidia single GPU flagship, and it's not far off taking the 295 off the top spot as well - that's a dual GPU card with nearly twice the frame buffer!!!

The 5870 will leave nVidia reeling I think, and they've got a lot of work to do to get Fermi into a position where it can even be taken seriously, let alone brought to market!

Looking forward to seeing some benchmarks on this. I've got my faith back in ATi now that the drivers have appeared to fix the DVI issue. :) Windows 7 works fine on DVI now.

D.

Lots of truth in that. ATI had been lacking in recent years when it came to the Alpha card. If they come back then great. It means more frames per second for me. I don't give a f**k which logo is on my graphics :D Either way, I can't see my 295 needing an upgrade any time soon.

182FF with cup packs
That's always been my issue with ATI. Fantastic cards, shocking driver support. I remember there used to be a couple of hacked/customm drivers that were much better.

I think I've decided to get myself a nice ASUS Extreme II. That should keep me happy for another couple of years.

Better than yours. C*nt.
nVidia weren't great at drivers when I got my 8800GTX... I think they rivalled ATI in those issues!

I've personally had more driver issues with Nvidia than I ever did with ATI. That said, the issues I've had, have normally been SLI and/or AA related, and the last ATI card I had was the 9800Pro.