ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

interesting argument. (can of worms)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Owned both, for hot hatches they are both at the top of their game relative to the time they were released. As that's over 20 years apart it the only comparison possible...

R5GTTx2,R11,Clio DCI
anyone who pays 7k for an old peugeot needs their head checked.

people pay more for a 2 year old euro box with no character whatsoever, that will depreciate like a stone, and once the warranty is out, and you have a problem, its scrap!

i'd love to see a new clio after 20+ years on the road..... somehow i doubt that will happen

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
id much rather spend my 7k on a 2yr old car than a 20+ yr old car. i love an iconic hot hatch however i wouldnt be paying £7k for something that wasnt nearly new!

GTD, Lupo
people pay more for a 2 year old euro box with no character whatsoever, that will depreciate like a stone, and once the warranty is out, and you have a problem, its scrap!

i'd love to see a new clio after 20+ years on the road..... somehow i doubt that will happen

Yeah because you see shed loads of 20+ year old french cars in the road now??? get real they are all broken or rusted to pieces. As for character and being RAW!!! from what i can remember of my mates it was noisy, tail happy and put me in hospital after he drove into a wall. 205s are good cars but if you really wanna make this so called argument a real one you are gonna struggle with cars that are so different. Its like comparing Marilyn Monroe and Megan Fox. Which im sure the same old comments will come up "Marilyn Monroe had more character and was RAW because she has a massive bush".

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Again it's not a comparison on what you'd buy now. It's about how good they are in there time scales. Like Peugeot moved the game on in styling and performance/handling a lot. It was the top of the pile for a long time. In comparison has the 200 really moved things on that much and it will probably be bettered when either the new Clio comes out or by the next hatch to come out with newer technology. So it's a measurement of greatness with what's available at the time.

And as for paying 7k for a 205gti. I payed in 2009 7000 for a Clio 182cup in 2010 I sold it for 4700. The 205 if looked after wouldn't depreciate at all and imagine how special that would be to own. Check it out it's on pistonheads and see, it really is a brand new 205 in 2011.

Inferno 182 & Saxo

The Williams' are getting on for nearly that age now?

SG9 Forester STi
I wouldn't say they are two cars you can compare really.

Anyway 205's are awesome! I've not long bought a 205 gti and it's one of those cars that you just want to throw money at. It's now a restoration project (as you said a decent one goes for over 6k these days). In the middle of a cylinder head rebuild and then it'll be back on the road and enjoyed :)

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I wouldn't say they are two cars you can compare really.

Anyway 205's are awesome! I've not long bought a 205 gti and it's one of those cars that you just want to throw money at. It's now a restoration project (as you said a decent one goes for over 6k these days). In the middle of a cylinder head rebuild and then it'll be back on the road and enjoyed :)

cool. a warning about 205 ownership though which you will see youself is that no matter how many parts you renew they still break. lol annoyingly so. which model ya go for,year, colour,interior?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Can't compare them directly as cars, too much has changed since then. But you can say which is more fun (205), which has better performance (200) etc.

My fantasy garage would have a mint 205gti in. There wouldn't be a 200.

clio 182
People say you cant compare then due to age, technology advances etc, but it simply boils down to the fact that in twenty or so years will people see a clio 200 cup for sale and go 'my god those cars were awesome, used to love throwing then down back roads' like they do with the 205!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Again more fun because you'll fell like 95% of the time it's trying to kill you.

Comparing old and new will never work. Imo again a Trophy would be a modern alternative to the GTI not the 200.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
People say you cant compare then due to age, technology advances etc, but it simply boils down to the fact that in twenty or so years will people see a clio 200 cup for sale and go 'my god those cars were awesome, used to love throwing then down back roads' like they do with the 205!

It will never have the appeal a 205 has now.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Again more fun because you'll fell like 95% of the time it's trying to kill you.

Comparing old and new will never work. Imo again a Trophy would be a modern alternative to the GTI not the 200.

Simply not true. Even at sensible speeds, the steering and responsiveness of a 205 is special in comparison. They don't feel like they want to kill you, more that they are less forgiving. But that's due to how throttle sensitive they are, which is part of the appeal if you can drive it.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
How do you know...Do you think when the 205 was released they knew then what a cult following it would create...

At the time, the 205 was head and shoulders above the competition, and hot hatches were a relatively rare breed. The 200 is one of many, and certainly doesn't stand out.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
i think in 10 years time if i saw a mint 172cup id want it purely for the memories and that has nowhere near the pedigree of a 205. they were in group b ffs which is part of the appeal.

SG9 Forester STi
cool. a warning about 205 ownership though which you will see youself is that no matter how many parts you renew they still break. lol annoyingly so. which model ya go for,year, colour,interior?

It's an oldie - 1986 1.6 GTI in Grey :approve: so I believe that makes it a phase 1. Interior isn't the half leather and is in tatters so needs replacing.

Oh don't worry, I already know! I drove it for 2 days and then the coolant escaped and I realised it had a blown headgasket. I think the person who sold made a lot of effort to hide the fact when I went to view it and when I picked it up. Funny thing with this car is any other and I would've kicked it and grumbled alot but whilst I was annoyed the first thing we did was gather all the bits to get it back to life. I have already bought a new exhaust and have spoken to a body shop about a complete repair & respray. Engine has been resprayed etc. Anyway, I'll stick a project thread up soon when I gather all of the pics and it's alive again.

Definitely have a huge soft spot for it :)

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Simply not true. Even at sensible speeds, the steering and responsiveness of a 205 is special in comparison. They don't feel like they want to kill you, more that they are less forgiving. But that's due to how throttle sensitive they are, which is part of the appeal if you can drive it.

this ×10000. you dont even have to drive fast and they feel special. on motorways they are as smooth as silk and at 70mph are at 3k. the steering is mega direct and everything you do as a driver effects the car. try finding a faster gear change on any car, its literally as fast as your arm can move.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm not in any way saying we should all buy one. I wouldn't want one as an everyday car, horrific tbh! But to have one to drive occasionally would be brilliant.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
It's an oldie - 1986 1.6 GTI in Grey :approve: so I believe that makes it a phase 1. Interior isn't the half leather and is in tatters so needs replacing.

Oh don't worry, I already know! I drove it for 2 days and then the coolant escaped and I realised it had a blown headgasket. I think the person who sold made a lot of effort to hide the fact when I went to view it and when I picked it up. Funny thing with this car is any other and I would've kicked it and grumbled alot but whilst I was annoyed the first thing we did was gather all the bits to get it back to life. I have already bought a new exhaust and have spoken to a body shop about a complete repair & respray. Engine has been resprayed etc. Anyway, I'll stick a project thread up soon when I gather all of the pics and it's alive again.

Definitely have a huge soft spot for it :)

yep headgaskets are common. i suggest you check the thermostat if hes tried to hide it. they cut the middle out of it to increase cooling so hides the high temp.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
At the time, the 205 was head and shoulders above the competition, and hot hatches were a relatively rare breed. The 200 is one of many, and certainly doesn't stand out.

Yeh, the hot hatch market has become diluted. But we can't predict what will be cult in the future.

I would also challenge the 205 being head and shoulders above the competition, the late 80's/ early 90's were booming with wee hot hatches which prevail as cult cars today...

Renault 5 Turbo/ Turbo 2/ (GrpB legends car)
Fords XR2/3/Turbo (Massive following now adays)
Opel Kadett (Every old school rally driver started here)
VW GTi....Possible and argueable the greatest hot hatch marque ever?! Bolt statement.

Food for thought.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Yeh, the hot hatch market has become diluted. But we can't predict what will be cult in the future.

I would also challenge the 205 being head and shoulders above the competition, the late 80's/ early 90's were booming with wee hot hatches which prevail as cult cars today...

Renault 5 Turbo/ Turbo 2/ (GrpB legends car)
Fords XR2/3/Turbo (Massive following now adays)
Opel Kadett (Every old school rally driver started here)
VW GTi....Possible and argueable the greatest hot hatch marque ever?! Bolt statement.

Food for thought.

yeah those cars mentioned had there followings but every1 was in agreement (car journalism wise) that the 205gti was the best. you ever driven a r5 or xr2? there dog turd. like i said earlier it was between the golf and 205.

tiTTy & SV650
Out of the box the 1.6 gti handling was phenomenal, the 1.9 required a bit more caution.

But they are now (pretty much) at least 20 years old and things have moved on in terms of safety, speed, cost and so on but not in terms of raw feel and handling.

When I fitted my konis and eibachs to the 172 it improved the feedback and feel, improving what is already a car that handles well, but it's still not as good as a 205gti.

When it comes to what I'd rather have now: 172 / 182 / 197 / 200 over a 205 all day every day. But a standard 205gti in good nick turns more heads than any standard 2.0 Clio just purely because of it's reputation and the fact that their quite thin on the ground now and a lot of blokes (30+ typically have memories of them and stories to share).

I've only owned 4 cars: 1.6 gti, 182, 1.9 gti and 172

1992 J reg phase 2 1.6:
IMG_0004.jpg

1990 G reg phase 1.5 1.9:
DSCN0319.jpg

Last edited:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
yeah those cars mentioned had there followings but every1 was in agreement (car journalism wise) that the 205gti was the best. you ever driven a r5 or xr2? there dog turd. like i said earlier it was between the golf and 205.

Oh no doubt! But cult is what you make of it. Mini's, 3 wheelers, Morris Minors!

Journalists are the biggest hypocrites ever, one day they'll slate a car and the next they'll say it's cult and should be in every man's 10 car garage! Yawn!

120d M Sport
I'd love to drive one, a few relatives have had them in the past. From what I heard, they handled great and cornered brilliantly if you treated them with respect, none of them complained about sauntering towards hedges, maybe they could just drive!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Oh no doubt! But cult is what you make of it. Mini's, 3 wheelers, Morris Minors!

Journalists are the biggest hypocrites ever, one day they'll slate a car and the next they'll say it's cult and should be in every man's 10 car garage! Yawn!

Yeah I agree journalism can be a bit misleading but having read magazines as a kid then actually owning 1 everything they said was true.

120d M Sport
Don't see why so many have issues with the two cars being compared? It's not about quantitive factors; age, 0-60, bhp, spec etc, in that sense you can't really compare, but qualative factors i.e. feel, driver satisfaction, why not?

I've never driven one but I'll always be interested to read/hear what someone who's driven one and can compare it to the drive of a modern hot hatch has to say.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Out of the box the 1.6 gti handling was phenomenal, the 1.9 required a bit more caution.

But they are now (pretty much) at least 20 years old and things have moved on in terms of safety, speed, cost and so on but not in terms of raw feel and handling.

When I fitted my konis and eibachs to the 172 it improved the feedback and feel, improving what is already a car that handles well, but it's still not as good as a 205gti.

When it comes to what I'd rather have now: 172 / 182 / 197 / 200 over a 205 all day every day. But a standard 205gti in good nick turns more heads than any standard 2.0 Clio just purely because of it's reputation and the fact that their quite thin on the ground now and a lot of blokes (30+ typically have memories of them and stories to share).

I've only owned 4 cars: 1.6 gti, 182, 1.9 gti and 172

1992 J reg phase 2 1.6:
IMG_0004.jpg

1990 G reg phase 1.5 1.9:
DSCN0319.jpg

LOL! You could see that car eroding in my driveway!! ;)

tiTTy & SV650
I love the styling of them, doubt I'll ever own another one now. Been there done that, the 106gti moved small hatches on, same power as a 1.9 205gti but much faster from my experience.

Megane 225
strange this post is actually up today! a couple of months ago got in touch with a trader who deals at my work and asked if he wouldnt mind keepin his eyes open for a 205 GTI or a Clio Williams. Got a call yesterday saying a farmer has recently died and has left 18 land rovers in a shed to his son. Anyways the trader went to buy all these land rovers and at the back of the shed, not moved for 8 years and forgotten about under a massive sheet, a 205 GTI 1.9. So...just bought it! Apparently its pretty immaculate apart from the entire thing being covered in shite!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
strange this post is actually up today! a couple of months ago got in touch with a trader who deals at my work and asked if he wouldnt mind keepin his eyes open for a 205 GTI or a Clio Williams. Got a call yesterday saying a farmer has recently died and has left 18 land rovers in a shed to his son. Anyways the trader went to buy all these land rovers and at the back of the shed, not moved for 8 years and forgotten about under a massive sheet, a 205 GTI 1.9. So...just bought it! Apparently its pretty immaculate apart from the entire thing being covered in shite!

how much ya pay? nothing like this ever happens to me. lol

Megane 225
how much ya pay? nothing like this ever happens to me. lol

£500:) the guy is more interested in the landies and wants to get the pug out the road. no entirely conviced it is, as described "a minter" but for £500 it will suit me fine! only reason it happened to me is because of the amount of car traders about at my work and this particular one deals with older and sometimes rare stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.