ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

interesting argument. (can of worms)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know which car I'd rather crash in. That's not an issue for the driving gods in this thread though.

And yes. Safety is part of the discussion.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Why does one have to be better than the other ?

They are both good but in different ways, it really is as simple as that.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
The 3rd post has this covered...

...not identical enough.

Personally though - if it has to be answered - 205 GTi purely for how low down you are. The Mini Cooper/S is more of a modern day 205.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I know which car I'd rather crash in. That's not an issue for the driving gods in this thread though.

And yes. Safety is part of the discussion.

The Clio is what a 4-5 star ncap the 205 is like a minus 4-5. Lol it's does stick in your mind if you have ever been in an accident.

ST1050, 320d
Not a fair comparison; I own a 1.9 GTI and its a fantastic thing to drive, theres alot of people in this thread that i'm sure have never driven one. They're very grippy and responsive even at high speeds round the twisty b roads; if you know how to drive properly I don't think its any more dangerous than any other hot hatch. The brakes in my opinion are fit for purpose, im sure with some uprated pads they'd be even better. Mine has bilstein shocks and springs and toyo t1rs, so I can't comment on standard handling but it really is awesome. Never driven a 200, but have owned a valver (which was no where near the 205) However the 200 is brand new, so is bound to be faster etc. I'd certainly have a 200 over a 205 for daily purposes (old cars are a nuisance in the mornings) but the 205 offers a unique driving experience despite their 'lack of power' compared to modern cars.

172 cup
this is a much talked about subject , there is a gd read in the evo mag . compares the 200 to the 172 cup . 205gti and 172 cup are what a hot hatch is all about. the rawness of it. i.e no abs , traction control.

205gti and 172 cup are what a hot hatch is all about. the rawness of it. i.e no abs , traction control.

A hot hatch is all about a normal current hatchback with performance intentions. They're not about being raw heaps at all and never ever have been. That's just what the rose tinted spectacle wearing driving gods of yesteryear remember. Back then, ALL cars were raw heaps, and the hot hatch versions were the performance versions of them, just like now. Some people are serial stuck in the past. A hot hatch is a shopping car with a big engine, not a racing car.

williams and trophy
you might have got away with that, if it hadn't have been for that pesky power steering, awwww bless, too heavy to turn the wheel without some driver assistance

lol..some of the 205s also had pas too.....sooo....hmmm

still....pas or not. its not exactly a driver aid in the sense abs/tc/esp etc etc etc is, weight is good, it doesnt detract from the driver being in control rather than the cars computers.....go figure

and heavy steering.....lol....nice 2.2 quickrack on a 10 inch wheeled mini....seperates the men from the boys. i had many many years fun with mine. so responsive, soooo fukkin heavy when parking. also easily deflected by anything like cats eyes, bumps in road etc etc etc.

Last edited:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
A hot hatch is all about a normal current hatchback with performance intentions. They're not about being raw heaps at all and never ever have been. That's just what the rose tinted spectacle wearing driving gods of yesteryear remember. Back then, ALL cars were raw heaps, and the hot hatch versions were the performance versions of them, just like now. Some people are serial stuck in the past. A hot hatch is a shopping car with a big engine, not a racing car.

You could hardly call it a heap if its in mint condition.

rs clio ph1 172
yeah every1 preffered those hatches to a 205gti hence why it sold so badly oh wait...........

how old was you when the 205 gti was new? did you own one when it was still in production?
the best hot hatch by mags doesn't mean its the most sellable.
the most sold hot hatch was the golf so where do you base our waffle from......let me guess evo? lol.

rs clio ph1 172
spot on mate.
this is exactly what a hot hatch was known as back in the 80's, 90's.
i would never buy a car becuase it won some group test in some mag that tests them and then may have a bias opinion due to them having advertising by those certain manfacterors in the group tests.
after seeing a few 205 gti's smashed up i could not keep mine as it was allways in my head of a crushed tin. i think that may be the reason why few survived as catorgory cars.
205 was a good hot hatch, so was the golf gti, rs turbo, lancia hf, r5 turbo.

THIS!

bling said:
The best hot hatch by mags doesn't mean its the most sellable.
Also this. I mean the RenaultSport range is about the highet rated in each class, but I bet Ford have sold more hot focus' than Renault have Megane 250s, that Vauxhall have sol more Corsa VXRs than Renault has 200's and 197s, and that BMW have sold more Mini Coopers than renault have Twingo 133s....

rs clio ph1 172
THIS!

bling said:
The best hot hatch by mags doesn't mean its the most sellable.
Also this. I mean the RenaultSport range is about the highet rated in each class, but I bet Ford have sold more hot focus' than Renault have Megane 250s, that Vauxhall have sol more Corsa VXRs than Renault has 200's and 197s, and that BMW have sold more Mini Coopers than renault have Twingo 133s....

100% true

williams and trophy

but compared to some on here, the focus, the astra etc etc arent hot hatches anymore, cos they are in a different class to the clio cos they cost more. a hot hatch was just that, a hatchback model of a car, that was breathed on by the manufacterers. be it 10k or 50k.

but to throw you a curveball.no hot hatch has ever been a stripped down version of the roadgoing version???? or raw heaps as you put it......bull s**t......r26r, 172 cup, the 197 cup etc etc etc...and thats just the reno range.

your point is none existant.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
how old was you when the 205 gti was new? did you own one when it was still in production?
the best hot hatch by mags doesn't mean its the most sellable.
the most sold hot hatch was the golf so where do you base our waffle from......let me guess evo? lol.

Why do keep bringing evo into this? I've explained why I used it as an example I don't f**king read it you bellend. My points are based on facts the 205 was a sales hit so WTF are you talking about. Your stupidity annoys me. Learn to listen what people are saying and you might actually understand something 1 day.

LOL! You're talking crap as per. I didn't say no hot hatches have ever been stripped out sheds. I said that's not what hot hatches are supposed to be. They never were and they still aren't. This is a fact. You're a selective reader mate. You look at the individual words, but not the sentence they form. Professional troll.

Also FPMSL at the 197 Cup being on your list of stripped out road racers. Have a word! LOL!! It's a 197 with a s**t dash.

williams and trophy
and lighter/thinner glass etc.

pro troll......il need to join your club then huh?? you talk bullshit non stop, you spam all the time.

raw heaps, was your statement. for them to be raw now, they will have to be stripped of driver aids etc. which the cars listed are to some extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.