ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad.

Battery life on this thing is insane. Been using it all day today including the F1 app and generally messing about on different apps and the app store and iv still got 57% left.

Playing with one of these in the store or in the pub for 5 mins is no way to figure out how extremely useable and worth while having something like this available round the house. Pretty much any website I have been on today doesn't require any zoom in landscape mode which is nice to see compared to the iPhone. I haven't felt the urge to get my MacBook out at all today. As soon as I jailbreak it and install a download manager and VLC I'll be very happy as a download manager is the only reason I have been on my PC today for 10 mins.

If all continues well then I'll end up selling my MacBook as it's only ever been used for browsing.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I'm guessing they're in their 60's? Show a 60 year old an iPad with an e-book on it and how you can turn the page by touching the screen and they'll most likely be amazed. Show a 16 year old and they'll most likely yawn lol.

That's all.
they aren't quite yet, and they both have laptops and my mum a nintendo DS, so they aren't technophobes.

My dad is surfing the web all night infront of the tv with his laptop, hes addicted and now wants an ipad.

unfortunately that means i will have to buy him one as i bought him his laptop 3 yrs ago so he'll be wanting one of these for his birthday now.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I used a friends iPad for an hour or so last night and it is very good but definitely not a replacement for my 13" MBP which I am currently browsing here with. If you do not own a laptop then the iPad is a nice, but expensive, alternative to other devices which are available.

dk

911 GTS Cab
How long are we going to have to put up with questions like that?

Just so I can prepare myself.

Did people ask the same about the iPhone over the iPod after it came out?

The answer is lots, read this thread and watch videos online.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Does the iPad do SMS? Mate has the 3G version, he says it can't. Weird that. Fact. Push email is far superior, but not the point.

A red missile
Its all ive had at work, "Its just a giant ipod touch"

Brilliant.

I had the same at work when I said I was going to buy one - plebs

I was debating it based on whether I could use my existing mobile broadband with one, 3 mobile bless them have confirmed that existing mobile broadband users can return their standard sim and have it swapped for a micro sim to go into an iPad - get in you beauty, so that'll 64gb with wifi/3g then :)

Goodbye £700, hello iPad.

Clio 182
I have just bought an iMac, alongside my iPhone and I'm seriously considering an iPad. What I would like to use it for is obviously the web browsing in bed, on the toilet etc as well as taking it to and from uni. Would it be worthwhile getting one? Even though I have mobileme so I could technically just load all my work to the iDrive and access it from one of the uni Macs/PCs?

I have been officially brainwashed by Apple lol

1998 BMW e46 323i
I had the same at work when I said I was going to buy one - plebs

I was debating it based on whether I could use my existing mobile broadband with one, 3 mobile bless them have confirmed that existing mobile broadband users can return their standard sim and have it swapped for a micro sim to go into an iPad - get in you beauty, so that'll 64gb with wifi/3g then :)

Goodbye £700, hello iPad.

Just trim your existing SIM, it looks quite easy.

Clio 182 cup'd
Dan R said:
yes it basically replaces a netbook if ur just using it for net browsing :)

Unless you want to net browse and use msn messenger at the same time.

I know someone selling a mbp to get one of these things! Craaazy!!

dk

911 GTS Cab
Unless you want to net browse and use msn messenger at the same time.

I know someone selling a mbp to get one of these things! Craaazy!!
wait until fw 4 then next month, then you will be able to do the two at the same time if your brain can handle it ;)

dk

911 GTS Cab
Does the iPad do SMS? Mate has the 3G version, he says it can't. Weird that. Fact. Push email is far superior, but not the point.
SMS uses the cellular network, not data network to the best of my knowledge, only MMS's use the data network.

the answer is no natively i'd say, theres an app that can do it though i believe.

Pretty sure there is a way you can text. Read it somewhere.

I think they're great. Had a quick play yesterday but decided against buying one for now. Maybe next month..

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
What does the F1 app allow me to do? I'm currently thinking no to parting with £20 for it.

Citroen DS3 DSport
4.0 for the iPad is not due till later in the year, the iPhone version should appear next month.

dk

911 GTS Cab
What does the F1 app allow me to do? I'm currently thinking no to parting with £20 for it.
allows you to pretend you are jake....

has the f1 timing live which is ahead of the tv coverage, so its funny when you see hamilton has got the fastest lap and then legard says it a few seconds later.

main reason for me is so i can watch button go around the track when the tv coverage doesn't follow his, i can see the gaps closing and getting bigger and don't have to rely on commentary or tv footage.

well worth it imo, but you really need to get it at the beginning of the season to get the full value.

Big improvement on the ipad though over the iphone with the massive screen.

Clio 182 cup'd
wait until fw 4 then next month, then you will be able to do the two at the same time if your brain can handle it ;)

Is that an insult aimed at me because you don't agree with me?

back on topic, as far as I can see this "multitasking" is no more than a sub menu that lets you switch between different apps? Which although slightly quicker than pressing the home button and loading another app, is essentially the same?!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
You can watch live timings on the f1 website though. Does it offer anything over that?

Is that an insult aimed at me because you don't agree with me?

back on topic, as far as I can see this "multitasking" is no more than a sub menu that lets you switch between different apps? Which although slightly quicker than pressing the home button and loading another app, is essentially the same?!

No.

Tesla MP3 2021
53b68710.jpg

I'm right you mean?

Think of it like your PC. You've got various programs open across the bottom on your task bar. Click to change to whatever else you're using, the previous program stays on whatever it's doing, you can switch back and forth. It's totally different to re-opening the app.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Nice!

Thoughts? Which one did you go for?

Gotta be some good things, after having your car delayed! ;)

Its not mine unfortunately, its Ben's

He got the 16GB WiFi and 3G with 3.

Its awesome, I didn't want to like but its impossible not to like, imo.

I want one now :(

Clio 182 cup'd
Revels said:
I'm right you mean?

Think of it like your PC. You've got various programs open across the bottom on your task bar. Click to change to whatever else you're using, the previous program stays on whatever it's doing, you can switch back and forth. It's totally different to re-opening the app.

But I watched f1 whilst browsing other websites earlier, I could see both on the screen at the same time. I also held a conversation on msn whilst watching f1. This is the point I'm making.

This is not possible on the ipad as you have to open the tab, click the app you want, the old app disappears and the new app is now on the screen. Sure it might still be hiding in the background, but it's useless there!