ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad.

SLK 350
So much for 'I don't see a market' 'It won't sell'

Apple is fortunate that it has a reputation which will sell products. If MS had released this [like Samsung's earlier effort], it would have failed.

Still doesn't make it worth buying, no interest at all in it, and I assume I'm target market.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Still doesn't make it worth buying, no interest at all in it, and I assume I'm target market.

The fact that you're posting on a internet forum almost certainly precludes you being the target market.

The target market for this is the casual internet user, people who do light internet browsing and emailing, "couch surfers".

Apple is fortunate that it has a reputation which will sell products. If MS had released this [like Samsung's earlier effort], it would have failed.

Why do they have that reputation though? Also, do you believe that because you don't want one, it won't sell in millions? But then, when it is a massive global success, it'll be because everyone is a sheep. Right? Round and round we go :eek:

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
It pissed me off that they were comparing the iPad to a laptop, it's pretty bloody obvious it's not going to be as functional!

Well its more expensive, so a good test tbh.
I like it but the price is a bit much for casual surfing!!

Citroen DS3 DSport
Jon Bentley wasn't impressed at all, on Twitter he said he much prefers his laptop for browsing etc

Why not, most people aren't in a financial position to bother having both, so its a relevant test and plenty of people compare point-and-shoots to dSLRs, it has relevance, both take pictures but what ones more suitable for the user in question.

Was always going to be the same outcome, laptop wins for functionality and iPhone for fun. I'd want one just to play RealRacing and use the F1 Timing app on that huge screen but I'd rather buy a laptop for the money.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
The iPad was never intended to replace a fully-fledged laptop, it's like comparing a point-and-shoot camera to a dSLR.

Not really a DSLR costs more than a P+S? Ipad is a great bit of kit, but myself am making a decision of ipad or laptop for my mums b'day. So a good test!!

I've been over the states now for about a month, and have had a play around with the ipad/ipad 3G. now I hate Apple and don't rate any of their product at all. However I quite liked what I saw, good decent size screen with a very responsive touch screen, all the apps that were on the all seam to work pretty well, as did the e-mail function. The keyboard was surprisingly easy to operative. If I as going to get one of these (which I'm not as their to expensive for my liking) I would have to buy the 3G version, (more expensive) as I think it would defeat the object of this if you only got the Wifi version, as you would most probably be at home, or out and about trying to find a free Wifi hot spot. Not sure how much the contract is going to be with a 3G version though.

Cupra
Just set up your iphone as a wifi hotspot (with Jailbrake) and you are made. You can also do it with a Nokia.

SLK 350
Wait a year, Apple release an iPad that's specced for the 21st Century, people with the Gen1 iPads cry. Done.

Google's equivalent will blow it out of the water [just by having a fking USB slot], and be a LOT more open. I love Apple, but I hate their 'God' approach to everything...

Yeah, because your prediction of them not selling was spot on.

Googles or anyone elses won't get close to the success of the iPad.

A red missile
Whats the crack with the iSanitaryTowel 3G, would it be possible to obtain said product and whack in an existing mobile broadband sim?

If t'were possible I just might be tempted - yes yes I know i hate Apple with a vengence but they've come up with something I h'actually like the look of.

Ugh posting in Apple chat - I feel dirty ;)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
£429 for the base model is a joke, I wonder if my company discount will apply, but even then I'm still very much 50/50 on whether I'll get one or not.

SLK 350
Yeah, because your prediction of them not selling was spot on.

Googles or anyone elses won't get close to the success of the iPad.

Put the crack pipe down, I don't recall saying they wouldn't sell. What I said was I couldn't understand the product, concept and which numpties would buy such a limited device. Maybe your comment offers insight into one of their sales :rolleyes:

Define success, if it's sales, then sure it won't sell as many. For me, Google has the better ideology for anybody wanting full control of their device. If they produce an open device [something Apple seem inherently unable to do], then given the choice I'll take that one.

However you cut it, the iPad is a flawed product and no amount of you highlighting sales are going to change that, we're consumers, profits are inconsequential.

Just as I predicted. When they are a runaway success, it will be because everyone is a numpty fan boy and bought one because Steve put something in the water.

haterade.gif

A red missile
Put the crack pipe down, I don't recall saying they wouldn't sell. What I said was I couldn't understand the product, concept and which numpties would buy such a limited device. Maybe your comment offers insight into one of their sales :rolleyes:

Define success, if it's sales, then sure it won't sell as many. For me, Google has the better ideology for anybody wanting full control of their device. If they produce an open device [something Apple seem inherently unable to do], then given the choice I'll take that one.

However you cut it, the iPad is a flawed product and no amount of you highlighting sales are going to change that, we're consumers, profits are inconsequential.

It can't be flawed - I want one :) with certain conditions but I still want one.

It takes a micro sim which is just a cut down version of a normal one.

I'm not sure how it's going to work over here yet but the Orange deals that have been announced suck!

A red missile
When I get one, it'll be Wi-Fi. I already have an iPhone contract.

Yeah, thats my problem, I don't have one but do have a mobile broadband contract so would be doubling up, thing is I know that if I go and fondle one knowing I already pretty much want one i'll end up paying for both, but I don't want to wait - arrrgghhh.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
No point in the 3G version, for personal use, IMO.

Unless you need it to be portable, for business/meetings etc, then I'd bet 90% of iPads will stay in peoples houses, as a browsing/entertainment device.