ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 12

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I reckon the next phone will have through screen touch ID, assuming Apple doesn't do an Apple and blindly continue pushing Face ID because backing down and accepting that the people want something else is simply not... Apple.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Picking up my 12 today coming from my fairly haggard 7plus that I’ve held on to for dear life! I will miss the Touch ID but looking forward to a slight camera upgrade and a battery that lasts longer than 5 minutes will be a bonus also.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Picking up my 12 today coming from my fairly haggard 7plus that I’ve held on to for dear life! I will miss the Touch ID but looking forward to a slight camera upgrade and a battery that lasts longer than 5 minutes will be a bonus also.

Don't take the naysayers words to heart. I was super sceptical at first but I love FaceID and would never choose to go back to finger prints.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah i think they will include touch ID next time round.

Getting used to none touch on the iphone 11.

I liked the option of both on my p20 Pro.

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
I have to say I am a huge fan of Face ID and wouldn’t want to go back to just Touch ID.

Clearly having both is the best option.

But when I go back to my misses phone from time to time it seems really clunky to have to put your finger on the home button to open it up.

Much easier to just swipe the phone up and away you go.

Similar for then closing apps, swipe them away :)

Tempted to upgrade to the 12 Pro Max from my 11 Pro for the bigger screen for watching videos and the better camera for the little ones (5 week old and a 2.5 year old)

At least that’s my shitty attempt at justifying the cost!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I always found with Touch ID that I would pick the phone up with my thumb on the sensor so by the time it was facing me, it was already unlocked, so faster than Face ID will ever be.

Apple got rid of it so they could lose the button which I understand, but with through-screen readers available now it makes Face ID a little redundant. If it wasn't Apple they'd probably admit defeat and the next phone would be touch, but Apple doesn't like admitting they were wrong.

I think the iPhone 12 was too far along to implement Touch ID anyway, but we'll see what happens with the iPhone 13.

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
I always found with Touch ID that I would pick the phone up with my thumb on the sensor so by the time it was facing me, it was already unlocked, so faster than Face ID will ever be.

Apple got rid of it so they could lose the button which I understand, but with through-screen readers available now it makes Face ID a little redundant. If it wasn't Apple they'd probably admit defeat and the next phone would be touch, but Apple doesn't like admitting they were wrong.

I think the iPhone 12 was too far along to implement Touch ID anyway, but we'll see what happens with the iPhone 13.

Seems a hard way to pick up the phone?

I obvs have had both and find Face ID a definite improvement.

I wonder how many people that have had Face ID for a while still prefer Touch ID?

Or is it the thing humans do with change “ooo I don’t like that, the old way was better” etc etc

As said though clearly having both options is the way to go when possible.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I mean you still grip it by either side, but naturally your thumb falls on the screen somewhere, and for me I just let it fall on the sensor.

I've had both, my XR has had it for ages. I still prefer my phone being unlocked on its way out of my pocket with my thumb over taking it out of my pocket and then having to wait half a second staring at it for it to unlock. Agree with the best option being to have both.

The only time I've preferred Face ID is when a notification's popped up on my phone when it's sat on the side somewhere and I just have to look at my phone to read it handsfree, but that only works sometimes (half the time you have to swipe up to unlock which defeats the entire point), and the only reason I can't just look at the notifications anyway is because with Face ID they're hidden when your phone is locked.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I was skeptical about Face ID at first, but think they’ve got it working pretty much faultlessly now. When I used Touch ID on my work phone now, or my iPad, it feels clunky.

Like I said above though, I’m mask-less 99% of the time. If I wasn’t, I could see why Touch ID would be good to have in addition.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
The new iPad Air has Touch ID built into the power button, so hopefully we'll see that migrate to iPhones soon.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I mean you still grip it by either side, but naturally your thumb falls on the screen somewhere, and for me I just let it fall on the sensor.

I've had both, my XR has had it for ages. I still prefer my phone being unlocked on its way out of my pocket with my thumb over taking it out of my pocket and then having to wait half a second staring at it for it to unlock. Agree with the best option being to have both.

The only time I've preferred Face ID is when a notification's popped up on my phone when it's sat on the side somewhere and I just have to look at my phone to read it handsfree, but that only works sometimes (half the time you have to swipe up to unlock which defeats the entire point), and the only reason I can't just look at the notifications anyway is because with Face ID they're hidden when your phone is locked.

My rear fingerprint sensor Pixel 4A is unlocked even before I've started removing it from my pocket. Just sayin'.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

ifixit did a teardown recently, the 12 and 12 Pro share the same battery which has shrunk about 10% from the iphone 11 and 11 pro to accommodate the 5G chips.
It's still a decent size tho.

I don't know how much juice the 5G chips eat tho, I remember early 4G stuff used to rinse the battery.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Seems a hard way to pick up the phone?

I obvs have had both and find Face ID a definite improvement.

I wonder how many people that have had Face ID for a while still prefer Touch ID?

Or is it the thing humans do with change “ooo I don’t like that, the old way was better” etc etc

As said though clearly having both options is the way to go when possible.

I’ve had face ID for 3 years now and I’d still prefer touch ID.

The issues I have with Face ID is it doesn’t work if my phones flat on a desk or if it’s in a cradle in a vehicle without car play.

Only way it’s better for me than touch so far is if my hands are covered in grease I can still open the phone.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I have both turned on my note 10+. Means I can use both biometrics at different times. For example phone on desk or possibly gloves on.

My finger print under screen sensor is used most often. Essentially the reason Apple haven't implemented it yet is because it isn't ms fast as touch I'd, well it can't be.

Finger on the power button may be next. The cut out will be there on their cases like the current ones.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Applies anytime you renew contract.

Okay. I'm not sure I do 'renew' my contract as such, I'm just on SIM only deal paying £20 p/m for years now. I'll be sure to mention it to them though. I've just taken out a new broadband contract! Starts Wednesday...

Ocrlew

ClioSport Club Member
How are people finding the 12 pro?
Hopefully mine is coming by end of week or early next week

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
I've not long had my iPhone 11, I was skeptical about Face ID and I absolutely love it. However on the reverse, my new MacBook Pro has a finger print scanner to unlock and it's good having the nostalgia. I don't think the 11 to 12 differences really make that much of a difference for me to justify upgrading so soon!

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Yeah I've got Pacific Blue 256 Pro Max set on my pre approval and nothing has made me change my mind.
Expecting the blue and gold to sell out quickest, similar to green last year and the jet black iPhone 7.

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
Blue and good have already got a later delivery date on the apple store. Good guess

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Few people were saying they expected the Mini to outsell the Max but most if not all of the Pro Max combos are already edging December dates while there's some Mini stock still available for launch day.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Is anyone planning on using a magsafe charger in their car? I see Belkin are doing one which looks like it’ll hold the phone pretty well but only uses a vent mount. I don’t particularly fancy inadvertently smashing out one of the louvres from my vents so it’s a shame they don’t do a sticky one.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
May aswell ask here. The 11 I have seems to take a while to charge. Been reading it comes with a 5w charger that you need to upgrade to the 18w and cable.
Anyone got a spare they don’t use by chance

May aswell ask here. The 11 I have seems to take a while to charge. Been reading it comes with a 5w charger that you need to upgrade to the 18w and cable.
Anyone got a spare they don’t use by chance
iPhone 11
“Fast-charge capableUp to 50% charge in 30 minutes with 20W adapter or higher (sold separately)”

Apple have replaced the 18w charger with 20w.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah thanks. Read the pro and Max have the quicker charger. Assuming I need the cable and the charger? My cable not compatible?