ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 4/iOS4 Info (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
I'm only buying on contract, sod paying out £600 for what is essentially a phone.

You do realise you are paying roughly the same for your handset though?

For example, most people will sign the £40 a month contract. That is an 18 month contract which results in a total spend of £720 plus £119 for the handset. Total spend is £839.

The same tariff is £20 on the 12m simplicity, so thats £360 for the contract and £499 for the handset outright. Total spend is £859.

So thats a difference of £20, but at least with the latter you arent tied into an 18 month contract and the phone is sim free.

133, 182, Kangoo 182
My mate works for Carphone warehouse and has sent me a message this morning saying they (as a company) are only getting 16,000 iPhones for tommorow, half of those have been pre-ordered to online customers leaving only 8000 for sale tomorrow. They were supposed to be supplied with 60,000.
Sounds about right.. used to work for an APR and we'd order in 1000 new laptops and only receive 60 or so...

172 mk2
You do realise you are paying roughly the same for your handset though?

For example, most people will sign the £40 a month contract. That is an 18 month contract which results in a total spend of £720 plus £119 for the handset. Total spend is £839.

The same tariff is £20 on the 12m simplicity, so thats £360 for the contract and £499 for the handset outright. Total spend is £859.

So thats a difference of £20, but at least with the latter you arent tied into an 18 month contract and the phone is sim free.

you do get the extra 6 months of line rental though. which would be 120 on the simplicity...

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
(Based On 32GB Handset)

£20 Simplicity x 24m = £480 + £599 for the phone = £1079

I think this can actually be taken down to £15 Simplicity by opting for 12m but would still work out to £959 total (over 2 x 12m)

£30 Tariff x 24m = £720 + £279 for the phone = £999

Granted you get more on Simplicity and your not tied in, but I'm a light user as said and would rather spread the cost out even though I can afford to buy outright.

Tesla MP3 2021
Yeah but dont forget you will probably end up buying your self out of your contact next year when the new iPhone comes out, so you need to put that in the equation.

Yeah but dont forget you will probably end up buying your self out of your contact next year when the new iPhone comes out, so you need to put that in the equation.

Exactly why I went PAYG last year. No f**king about paying off contracts etc.

Next year might be worth an upgrade, it might not. But it will be very easy for me to do so if I wish..

Mines been dispatched too. Woooop.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

This is (IMHO).

I don't think there will be a substantial upgrade to the phone next year and doubt I'll feel the need to upgrade ( I didn't upgrade to 3GS ). But ofcourse it is a risk, but at the same time I could then sell the handset and buy outright then.

The thing for me at the moment is I quite fancy an iPad so that's £600 elsewhere, I'm also probably going to be either building a new PC or going for a 27" iMac towards the end of the year that'll be anywhere between £1000-£2000 so I'd rather spread the cost of the iPhone out rather than splash another £600 on that.

That's without upcoming car insurance / tax

Tesla MP3 2021
This is (IMHO).

I don't think there will be a substantial upgrade to the phone next year and doubt I'll feel the need to upgrade ( I didn't upgrade to 3GS ). But ofcourse it is a risk, but at the same time I could then sell the handset and buy outright then.

The thing for me at the moment is I quite fancy an iPad so that's £600 elsewhere, I'm also probably going to be either building a new PC or going for a 27" iMac towards the end of the year that'll be anywhere between £1000-£2000 so I'd rather spread the cost of the iPhone out rather than splash another £600 on that.

That's without upcoming car insurance / tax

Do you want to buy my PC?? :approve:

Based on how much the 3gs is still selling for, I'm opting for 24month contract at £35 PM as I don't have the cash right now to buy it outright. If the new one comes out next year and I like it I will sell off the 4 and get the new one sim free.

What ever you choose, the overall cost is not a huge difference, I can see teh appeal of both TBH!

dk

911 GTS Cab
you do get the extra 6 months of line rental though. which would be 120 on the simplicity...
he'd already factored that into the figures by multiplying £20 x 18m to get the £360.......

my 4 came this morning, sending it back, don't like black.......

E87 118d M Sport
Does anyone know (i.e. have they ever done it) if you can transfer a contract into someone else name and to their account?

Tesla MP3 2021
only if its an i7 with atleast 6GB and a 2GB ATI 5970 Black Edition :approve:

It has an i7, 6GB but its a Nvidia GPU.

Its a GTX 295.

Im serious about selling btw!!

Its has a custom built Watercooling setup on the CPU.

Search my threads for more details.

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Does anyone know (i.e. have they ever done it) if you can transfer a contract into someone else name and to their account?

Yes you can, with orange anyway, providing the new holder passes a credit check...

lol @ people signing new contracts to 'spread the cost'....being poor FTL...:eek:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I had six months left and am getting my iPhone4 for nothing other than a new 18 month contract.

Sold iPhone - £300
Pay off contract - £120
iPhone on 18 month £35p/m - £179

Total outlay - £-1.00

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

No you cannot.

My contract is in my brothers name, I asked if I could transfer the contract into my own name, they said no, I would just cancel and start a new contract, which I couldn't do

a) Because I wouldn't be allowed to pay off at £20 pcm as I wouldn't be "upgrading" to the iphone 4

b) Because I then wouldn't be allowed an iPhone 4 as I wouldn't be an existing iPhone customer.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I had six months left and am getting my iPhone4 for nothing other than a new 18 month contract.

Sold iPhone - £300
Pay off contract - £120
iPhone on 18 month £35p/m - £179

Total outlay - £-1.00

but you've bought yourself out of a better contract and gone to a worse one, less data, more text charges (mms and intl.) and half the minutes, fine if you don't mind that.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
but you've bought yourself out of a better contract and gone to a worse one, less data, more text charges (mms and intl.) and half the minutes, fine if you don't mind that.

I'd already changed mine over months ago to the "half minutes, infinite texts" contract as I text, A LOT, but only phone to say things like "Pub tonight? Half 8? See you there mate"

The only thing I'm losing is data, but I've never gone near 500mb

I have thought this through, ya know? :eek:

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
It has an i7, 6GB but its a Nvidia GPU.

Its a GTX 295.

Im serious about selling btw!!

Its has a custom built Watercooling setup on the CPU.

Search my threads for more details.

My current one is Quad Core with 4GB and a 8800GTX (768MB) but I don't need a new one until towards the end of the year (so it makes sense to wait for cheaper prices and / or newer tech) If I was to build now I'd be going for what I said earlier. But we'll save this for another thread nearer the time.

6/468 17poo
Based on how much the 3gs is still selling for, I'm opting for 24month contract at £35 PM as I don't have the cash right now to buy it outright. If the new one comes out next year and I like it I will sell off the 4 and get the new one sim free.

What ever you choose, the overall cost is not a huge difference, I can see teh appeal of both TBH!

Thats so true, the 3GS seems to be holding its price very well so upgrading actually helps to pay off some of the new contract too, I havent looked into 2 year contracts but the argument against contract and buying sim free still swings contract for me!

Tesla MP3 2021
My current one is Quad Core with 4GB and a 8800GTX (768MB) but I don't need a new one until towards the end of the year (so it makes sense to wait for cheaper prices and / or newer tech) If I was to build now I'd be going for what I said earlier. But we'll save this for another thread nearer the time.

Yeah no worries. Im just trying to gauge some interest anyway.

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
anyone got or getting the mobile me thing, seems expensive, if it was maybe £20 a year i'd try it...

I have it, its awesome...£60 a year is expensive? PMSL

Its worth it just for find my iphone alone...then you get iDisk and gallery...well worth it...

172 mk2
I have it, its awesome...£60 a year is expensive? PMSL

Its worth it just for find my iphone alone...then you get iDisk and gallery...well worth it...

if i ever realised i've lost my iphone some pikey will already have it turned off and on ebay most likey. seems a lot for what it is i think.. wireless syncing

Citroen DS3 DSport
Tesco tariffs look good value

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...phone-4-tariffs-now-announced-by-tesco-698332

On pay as you go, the 16GB iPhone 4 is priced at £479, and the 32GB iPhone 4 at £569.
On contract, you have three options:

£20 a month for a 12-month contract, which includes 250 minutes of talk time, unlimited texts and 1GB a month of data. The up-front payment for the 16GB iPhone 4 is £349, while the 32GB iPhone 4 will set you back £429.

£35 a month for a 12-month contract with 750 minutes, unlimited texts and 1GB of data a month. The handset costs are £229 for the 16GB iPhone 4 and £299 for the 32GB iPhone 4.

£45 a month for a 24-month contract, with unlimited minutes and texts and 1GB of data per month. The 16GB iPhone 4 on this tariff is £19, while the 32GB iPhone 4 is £99.

Slow red one
mines shipment dispatched so could it come today at all? because im the only one home today and may pop out later. Also after seeing those tesco deals, may buy 32gb one and sell my current 16gb;) only cause I work there.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Tesco-iPhone-4-tariffs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.