ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
  182, turbo rx8, 911
Re: iPhone 4G (No longer rumours)

Wow, just wow.

Be really interesting when the truth behind this is confirmed. If it ever is !

Just want the damn thing be available for me to buy!!

E87 118d M Sport

I think they only way it could not be the final model, is if that is a previous "finished working prototype". I dont see how they could implement pattern changes and manufacture them in a month. Unless they have an EPIC supplier relationship, and they get all their parts made in one place.......

All apple can do now, is hope that 4.0 has some MORE features than shown in the last keynote.
Maybe a "tent" for the "tentpoles". Unless that is the camera/faster processor/front facing camera etc....

Its possible its not the final design, however its April (the phone is launched in june) and this was fully functional up until the point apple remote killed it.

You work in production, what do you reckon.

Tough call. There could, and I guess would, be fair few development units floating around regardless of the final design. Test mules of the phone world if you will. If the bezel was seamless I could buy it. Perhaps that is the final shape but I'm not 100%. I think the final design, if based around that, will look more slick. Those pics are a backward step visually, and I can't see Apple making that mistake. It just doesn't look 'Apple'.

Clio 182 cup'd

Those pics are a backward step visually, and I can't see Apple making that mistake. It just doesn't look 'Apple'.

I think it does look "apple". Its a sensible design, they have lost s**t loads of money because of the problems with the battery and the ceramic back of the current models. This solves the problem and should have been expected.

Its a shame that the back comes off. I like the solid feel of the current generation, I can imagine this model creaking after a few months, much like Nokia's do.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

The back wont come off unless you force it off. As in its not designed to be removed in normal use.

VaVa

Tough call. There could, and I guess would, be fair few development units floating around regardless of the final design. Test mules of the phone world if you will. If the bezel was seamless I could buy it. Perhaps that is the final shape but I'm not 100%. I think the final design, if based around that, will look more slick. Those pics are a backward step visually, and I can't see Apple making that mistake. It just doesn't look 'Apple'.

Agreed. I like the design of the current one... It's unmistakably Apple.

Maybe they've had to square it off for production costs/quality issues etc?!

I shan't be forking out for one... having had one for 6 months now I don't think the premium they command over other phones is justifiable (to me).

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Looks a bit lg prada tbh.

I was hoping for ground breaking sleek! :(

SLK 350

Looks good, but, I personally like the tapered edges on the current models as it lessens the profile of the phone in your pocket.

To me, it also looks more HTC in design, and less Apple. If the spec is right though, then this could definitely be a winner, camera with flash is a big big win, and with the addition of a front facing camera, I'd guess iChat will be included [video calling, the thing I used like once], which maybe the world is finally ready for.

I'll be waiting for June, ready and waiting, with wood.

@word easy, I doubt it will creak, Apple wouldn't have it, and nor would it's customers. If it's Alu and Glass, there's no reason for it to creak.

Also find it funny people are writing it off based on a few details. The fact is this thing could be running a dual-core with a nice jump in ram, and some sort of additional GPU... yet, still people are coming out with "I won't be upgrading, it's not a jump, it's not justifiable" har har.

Last edited:

AK

M240i

Not convinced.

If that's the final product the new developments are things i won't use (front facing camera etc) and i like the look of the 3GS better... Think i'll stick with my 3GS :)

Golf GTD

The spec is improving which is nice to see but for me the phone is a step back visually. No doubt I'll end up buying one as they're a phenominal piece of kit but I think the 3GS is the best looking out of the iPhones.

Agree with AK about the pointlessness of the front facing camera, might be handy for Skype but other than that a bit pointless in my opinion.

S3, Polo

Is it possible at all on any level that apple meant to 'lose' this phone?

Only reason i can think of why they would do this is to get a wider opinion on the phone? Or is that a stupid idea?

just seems a bit strange that an iphone would be lost and conveniently fall into the hands of someone who would plaster it all over the internet?

Regardless of the prevalence of the current-gen iPhones, the chances of a scrote not 'finding' it first are remarkably small... Seems too coincidental that someone tech-savvy enough to care about the next iPhone should get hold of it first, much less post it on the internet.

I'd like to think that I'm interested enough in the next iPhone, but would have kept a find like that to myself for fear of it being an Asian 'interpretation'.

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

I'd use a front facing camera if apple told me to.

I think there might be a tweak but that's 99% it.

It's too elaborate for it to be a forced leak. Apple go mental with crappy low res test shots of products, this is proper fucked any announcement that's coming.

Someone won't be working in the tech world anymore..

Scirocco 2.0 tsi

People saying its not a big enough step so you won't upgrade. What else do you want a phone to do? Wipe your arse? There really isn't much room for revolutionary ideas in the phone world anymore imo.

Regardless of the prevalence of the current-gen iPhones, the chances of a scrote not 'finding' it first are remarkably small... Seems too coincidental that someone tech-savvy enough to care about the next iPhone should get hold of it first, much less post it on the internet.

I'd like to think that I'm interested enough in the next iPhone, but would have kept a find like that to myself for fear of it being an Asian 'interpretation'.

You find a phone in a bar. You know it's an iPhone. You then realise once the case is removed that it's a different iPhone. You don't have to be that tech savy to know it's new. It's got features that yours doesn't have etc.

I don't know where the pics were first posted, but these things always make it to the same tech blogs eventually.

There's no way I'd have sat on it though. I'd have made a site exactly, stuck some google ads on it, then told the world! Lol. Then sold it for a tidy sum. That dude has made a mint from finding that.

Maybe they've had to square it off for production costs/quality issues etc?!

I think this year was always going to be a re-design but the fact they've replaced thousands upon thousands because of the cracks appearing at the bottom means it clearly isn't suited to being plastic.

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

I think there might be a tweak but that's 99% it.

It's too elaborate for it to be a forced leak. Apple go mental with crappy low res test shots of products, this is proper f**ked any announcement that's coming.

Someone won't be working in the tech world anymore..

Indeed, and the prototype 3G I came into contact with a couple of days after it was announced was not allowed to be photographed or touched by anybody other than its owner.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

i love it. i'll be getting it. WOOT!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

I'm unsure what to think tbh.... I don't like how that looks, but I don't believe it to be final either, I think they'll be serveral tweaks before production, so I'll be having it :)

Barge

I quite like the different look, definitely distinguishes it from the other generation iPhone's. Whether that's it I'm unsure of judging by the lack of leaks of firm information there was on the 3GS. But it certainly won't have been a mistake if it was left somewhere. No one who would be trusted with a prototype would be stupid enough to misplace it.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

lg-prada-ke850-phone-front-back.jpg

article-1267295-0933DB70000005DC-908_233x331.jpg

I'm less than impressed

320d M Sport

Agreed, something doesn't quite look right about it?

Why didn't Apple just ping the phone like the Police do, find it's location?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

In my completely un-knowing, and probably wrong opinion:

I think this could just be a "test body", a very bland case which is big enough to hold all of the hardware necessary for the new model, but has not yet been styled, allowing the phone to be fully tested as a working iPhone, but having not being the final model yet.

Either that, or two people will be get fired, the one that leaked it, and the head of the visual design department...

Revels Mum & Sister

I do quite like it and agree with Hoff about it being very HTC like. However based on what the OS4.0 will offer and the rough spec/look of the unit. I feel for now I have made a good choice to ditch the iPhone and use my newly acquired HTC Desire.

Agreed, something doesn't quite look right about it?

Why didn't Apple just ping the phone like the Police do, find it's location?

They probably figured that having it left on and thus the ability to find it would be worse than them finding it. They've just got a fancy paper weight now. I can't see the Police rushing to find a lost phone! Lol. Once the pics are online the damage is done.

Has apple acknowledged anything about this 'leak' yet?

They won't say anything. Most we'll get is a no-comment.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member

They won't say anything. Most we'll get is a no-comment.

according to gizmondo it has been reported lost:

It has been reported lost
Apple-connected John Gruber—from Daring Fireball—says that Apple has indeed lost a prototype iPhone and they want it back:
So I called around, and I now believe this is an actual unit from Apple — a unit Apple is very interested in getting back.
Obviously someone found it, and here it is.
EDIT:

from Daring Fireball:

It’s been an open secret to those of us in the racket that Gizmodo purchased this unit about a week ago, from those who claimed to find it. That this belongs to and was made by Apple is almost beyond question at this point. Just how much it looks like what Apple plans to ship this summer, I don’t know. Note that it’s thinner than a 3GS.
I’m mentioned in the article, and must respond. Jason Chen writes:
Apple-connected John Gruber — from Daring Fireball — says that Apple has indeed lost a prototype iPhone and they want it back:
So I called around, and I now believe this is an actual unit from Apple — a unit Apple is very interested in getting back.
Obviously someone found it, and here it is.
Note that I did not use the word “lost”. It is my understanding that Apple considers this unit stolen, not lost. And as for the “someone(s)” who “found” it, I believe it is disingenuous for Gizmodo to play coy, as though they don’t know who the someones are.

Last edited:

Yeah, John Gruber is know for being accurate with his posts and obviously has contacts at Apple.

Nothing official though.

Go cry to your momma!

What's all this micro sim lark - AFAIK, no UK operator has them out yet? Not mainstream anyway..

Going to make my transition from 3GS to 4G/HD on T-Mobile fun :(

It's just a slightly cut down version of what we have.

Get a sharp craft knife, print a template, bit of Blue Peter action. Done.

Mr2 Roadster

I would expect the new look is due to the fact the last units were so weak and cracked!

Scirocco 2.0 tsi

No i'd think the new look is because they've kept the same design for so long it needs to change. People ask me if i've got a 3G or a 3GS and they can't tell the difference. If the new one looked the same again then people would start wondering why they were upgrading. It gets boring looking at the same phone all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.