ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 5 - Water damaged

Yellow 197
So I dropped my iphone 5 in water for about 30 seconds and it wont turn on, its been about a day, i've had it in rice any other tips or anyone else managed to fix the same kind of issue?

The white apple turning on logo came on today for a split second then it asked me to plug it into itunes, did that and it switched back off again!

I dont have insurance but someone told me if you take it back to apple they will give you a reduced discount off another phone, anyone know if this is true?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You aren't going to fix that IME. Even if you dry it out enough to get it to turn on an work again or a bit the circuits will start to corrode and a couple weeks later it will be game over.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Trying out the new software upate that makes them waterproof I presume ! ?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I dropped mine in water, it was in the airing cupboard for nearly a week before it was dry. Took it in to the apple store & they were so busy they didn't even check & replaced it.

Best advice when this happens is to thoroughly rinse it with purified water and leave it somewhere warm and dry for at least a few days.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Best advice when this happens is to thoroughly rinse it with purified water and leave it somewhere warm and dry for at least a few days.

Mate of mine works on nuclear subs and was saying if anything gets wet on board (electric circuit wise I mean) they wash it down straight away with purified water to prevent corrosion.

Seems quite counter intuitive, lol.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Mate of mine works on nuclear subs and was saying if anything gets wet on board (electric circuit wise I mean) they wash it down straight away with purified water to prevent corrosion.

Coolest first sentence I've read for a while.

Worst comes to worst it will cost just over £100 to fix at apple if they see it's water damaged.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member

I imagine that's probably to do with salt content of sea water as well partly. Still a funny thing to do. Best job title.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I imagine that's probably to do with salt content of sea water as well partly. Still a funny thing to do. Best job title.

Not just the salt, other impurities too like Roy mentions.

Plus the other thing with pure water IIRC from school, is it doesnt conduct electricity, again which is counter intuitive for those of us used to dirty water!

Haha yeah its bizzare, it's also the best way to clean computer components if they get real clogged up with dust etc!

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
my 4s when i had it was down a toilet, in a bath for half an hour an had half a pint spilled over it...... never stopped working at all :)