ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPhone 5.

This is a poll.

• Total voters

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Re: iPhone 5. Pre-Orders 14/9. Ships 21/9. iOS6 Today @ 6PM

Forget about street view, it's the basic mapping that's not even there, only large cities even have satellite data, nothing to do with the 3 years google spent driving around.

You do realise that they collected more information than just pictures for street view?

Their licensing deals with tele-atlas and such like for geo data was costing them huge amounts of money, the cars were also mapping every public road that they went down.

Their backend processing software automated the creation of their own dataset by combining these logs with the information collected from the cameras, so things like traffic control signs and street names.

Much better to have your own dataset than rely on and pay for somebody elses.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

I assume a lot of folk will be receiving their phones today if they were shipped yesterday?

Mine is still in the processing stage. Bah.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German

Love the update purely because my Bluetooth in my van is working properly now. Rest of it is crap. Lol

I assume a lot of folk will be receiving their phones today if they were shipped yesterday?

Mine is still in the processing stage. Bah.

Surely not. Can't imagine that happening.

1 Series Coupe

Not Jailbroken here and the update has killed my phone! Just doing a restore, hopefully can restore everything!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

I did my iphone 4 last night when I went to bed. Plugged it into a charger then told it to install ios6 via the settings menu. Woke up and had to log in etc with the ios6 screen. All works fine. No contacts/messages lost etc.

Not going to update ipad yet as I still like to use street view via maps. Hopefully google will bring out an app for streetview/maps. apple maps seems fine to me but no streetview obviously.

Does siri work on iphone4 btw?

Nice to have Siri on the iPad now. I'll use that more, than on the iPhone.

Audi A3

apple on watchdog last night around the docking station adapter, apprently was free for a while but now its at a cost of £25.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

I'm struggling to work out what I'm supposed to be doing regarding my sim card. I've pre-ordered the iPhone 5 from Apple, sim free. I'm currently using an o2 sim card on Simplicty, which is top up £10 a month and receive unlimited texts and I think it's 500MB of data. Regardless of that, I've never gone over that allowance so it does me.

I believe the way these deals work is off your mobile number, so when I transfer my number over to a new nano sim, my Simplicity deal should carry over to that new sim card and obviously the new iPhone 5. But going on o2's website, the cheapest they do is £10.50 a month and that's for a fixed amount of texts and only 100MB of data allowance. It's £15.50 for unlimited texts and 500MB data, reduced from £21.50 for 6 months. I'm paying less than the £10.50 at the moment ultimately for a better deal. Just doesn't make much sense to me.

I'll have to give them a ring I think to discuss. If I can transfer my number to the new nano sim and retain the £10 a month top up, I'm onto a winner.

CBR1000RR Fireblade

Installed iOS6 on my iPod Touch last night. Everything downloaded and installed fine. Got the screen saying "Welcome to iOS6 etc..." and asked me to connect to WiFi. Which I tried, but everytime I did so it sent me straight to the "Log in" screen you get when you connect to public WiFi for example, which was Apple.com?! The Apple.com page would then say something along the lines of "Sorry, we couldn't find the page you were looking for, use search etc..." and would kick me out and now allow me to connect to my WiFi.

Has anyone else had a similar problem at all?

All other devices such as S2, laptop, Xbox all connected to my WiFi fine.

Our 4s did the exact same thing last night. To fix this, turn your wifi off on your device, do a hard reset and turn wifi back on again.

This fixed our 4s last night. It seems to be working ok now.

Our 4s did the exact same thing last night. To fix this, turn your wifi off on your device, do a hard reset and turn wifi back on again.

This fixed our 4s last night. It seems to be working ok now.

Glad I wasn't the only one having this problem. Will give it a go tonight. Cheers, Gouldy.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Anyone have any issues with Renault Bluetooth?

I'm dreading going out in the car after. Lol.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf

im not updating mine. i want my new phone to be new not the same with a different case lol

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

Yeah I'm not even bothering with iOS6 on my current iPhone. Just going to wait until the 5 comes.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German

Anyone have any issues with Renault Bluetooth?

I'm dreading going out in the car after. Lol.

Dont know about cars but in my trafic, it works better now. When I went to scroll to the next song it would take atleast 5 seconds to respond if at the beginning of a song but not it works perfectly.

1 Series Coupe

All restored and working from iCloud backup taken last night. Strange!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Dont know about cars but in my trafic, it works better now. When I went to scroll to the next song it would take atleast 5 seconds to respond if at the beginning of a song but not it works perfectly.

Nice!

I'll try it after.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

I'm keeping my 4S on iOS5 as I use Google Maps a lot and my 5 will be here soon.

I didn't know you could have Streetview with the Google maps app until reading this thread :eek:

The wife's has been updated from awaiting parcel to collected from sender (DPD - O2)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Updated, mine, the missus and the iPad last night. All working nice.

Feels a bit slicker on my phone than before, placebo probably. Some nice touches. New phone will be here soon anyway. I use about 2% of the phones capabilities! :eek:

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

LOL @ Maps.

Untitled_zps52048643.gif

The iOS6 map, note where Sawbridgeworth is.

Untitled2_zps22cac0d5.gif

The Google maps version, with Sawbridgeworth where is actually is.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
LOL they really have fucked up from a map perspective.

Why did they pull away from Google maps? Mutual agreement?

If Apple decided to go it alone then you'd expect them to at least wait until the had a comparable alternative.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

In all fairness, this is a brand new app. Google Maps has been running for years and has spent millions and millions of dollars to establish themselves. Give Apple a year or so and I'm sure they will nail it.

It's unexpected of them to come to the market and just have it perfected when Google have got it so right after many years of tinkering.

And yeah you might ask why did the have to get rid of Google Maps if they had an inferior product. Because they don't want to be overly reliant on Google for everything. It's been said that Google make more from Apple than they do from their Android phones. So why keep helping the competition.

I'm sure in time it will become a very good app and anyway Google will have their Maps in the App Store ASAP.

After extensive market research, we found that people spend 87% more time admiring vector graphics than catching trains and buses.
Hey, it's my first day on the job. I can't help you get around, or search for things, or tell you where you are, but look how pretty!
MyWGT.jpg

iOS Maps on Twitter

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3

Whats the big deal if theres a Google Maps app that you can download for free?

Just dont use Apple maps?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Whats the big deal if theres a Google Maps app that you can download for free?

Because there isn't one.

Edit:

And because if there were a google maps app, it still would be a third party citizen in iOS because any applications that used the official mapping API will use the inferior Apple maps.

They really are shocking, the level of zoom in satellite mode on my town is not unlike somebody taking a wide angle photo from the ISS, when it was Google I could see the little pond in my garden.

Lovely, if you live in San Francisco or New York, though.

The open source maps in the CityMaps2Go App are far better, even details pathways in little villages near me that I never knew existed.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
In all fairness, this is a brand new app. Google Maps has been running for years and has spent millions and millions of dollars to establish themselves. Give Apple a year or so and I'm sure they will nail it.

It's unexpected of them to come to the market and just have it perfected when Google have got it so right after many years of tinkering.

And yeah you might ask why did the have to get rid of Google Maps if they had an inferior product. Because they don't want to be overly reliant on Google for everything. It's been said that Google make more from Apple than they do from their Android phones. So why keep helping the competition.

I'm sure in time it will become a very good app and anyway Google will have their Maps in the App Store ASAP.

I agree but they should have waited until they had something comparable.

Any company that sells itself on excellence shouldn't be releasing apps/products which can't compete with previous versions lol.

CBR1000RR Fireblade

Where is google maps in the app store?

We can't find it.

Is anyone else getting weird black and white bands of detail in the Satellite view? Search Hilperton, for example. The town to the left is in a thin band of reasonable detail, but my village is just a colourful blur.