ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iphone emails stopped working

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
worked fine since day one! Tried sending today and getting 'the senders email address is not valid' then it shows my email address.

looked online seen loads of similar probs, recommendation was to delete the account and set it up again, but now when trying to save the details (which are all correct) it says 'secure connection failed' 'the certificate for "myemailaddress" may not be valid'

this is a pop3 account nd iv tried it on wifi and non wifi BTW. what is it trying to use a certificate for, i dont use SSL or SPA or owt for my emails.

Any ideas?

Citroen DS3 DSport
I sometimes get this happening on gmail and it seems to be a temporary connection problem between the iPhone and gmail's own servers. It usually corrects itself.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
ok afte the 5th attempt it said SSl verification failed, would you like to try without SSL. So clicked yes and it then came up with:

'secure connection failed' 'the certificate for "null" may not be valid'

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
I sometimes get this happening on gmail and it seems to be a temporary connection problem between the iPhone and gmail's own servers. It usually corrects itself.

ah ok, will try later from home!

pain in the ass, wantd to send that email out about 2 hour ago! lol

update: 6th time lucky it has now added my account again, but upon sending mail says my email addres was rejected by the server!

annoying

Last edited:
Nothing if you use Exchange from what I can see.

Exchange does Email, calendar and contacts.

MobileMe will have those and iDisk, Gallery, etc.. so everything in one place.

In terms of mail usage, calendar and contacts, there is no difference.

MobileMe also integrates better with OSX at the moment than Exchange.. (Altho Snow Leopard will change that).
MobileMe also bodges the Outlook connectivity I think.. although I'm not sure how it works for sure, but it's not MAPI or RPC-over-HTTP so it fails :p

Citroen DS3 DSport
MobileMe costs £59 per year but you can get a 60 day free trial at www.me.com

Signup and enter the details in the MobileMe Mail setup section of the iPhone.

Tesla MP3 2021
I took up the trial. The mail side of things is good i.e mails instantly being pushed to your iphone / outlook and web mail but the contacts / calendar entries are not instantly pushed to the PC / Mac if altered on the iphone or via the web application. Apple sent an email round explaining that there were quite a few hiccups from the transformation from .Mac to Mobileme but they look to have it working like it should in the future.

I don’t think I will be paying the £60 once my trial is up though.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I think I'll pay the £59 at the end of my trial because I like getting my email as it is sent to me and not having to wait for it. The fetch system is also often unreliable and would not check for new emails for several hours or until prompted, push email should be better.

Tesla MP3 2021
I havent had any probs with my iphone fetching my emails from my pop3 accounts. I have it set to every 15 minutes and I can feel it vibrating when I get a new emails quite often lol :eek:

what about getting exchange?

You need to setup an Exchange infrastructure.. which I guess you ain't going to do :p

Or, you can get hosted Exchange mailboxes for a monthly fee - usually around £10-£15 per mailbox for a decent service.. obviously getting higher for larger mailboxes etc.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
ok after further investigation it seems that i can send emails when im on my home WiFi!

I cant send emails when im on O2 GPRS, Edge, or 3G though, or from my office WiFi.

All I want is to be able to check my pop3 mail as and when i need to. nothing fancy!

Citroen DS3 DSport
Have you checked your outgoing mail smtp settings? Sounds like you're possibly trying to send via your home ISP connection?

Exchanges 2k7 pushes in about 3 seconds after sending, contacts/mail/calendar is all the same :)

Exchange rocks, that's why.

Lots of nice improvements in 2007 - lots of stuff which really helps administering it..

Just need them to get rid of the massive mailbox .edb file then it'll be perfect.. ;)

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Have you checked your outgoing mail smtp settings? Sounds like you're possibly trying to send via your home ISP connection?

Good point, it is my ISP email I am using. maybe it needs more config or setting up to work not via my actual ISP!

I have another pop3 mail I use also which sends and receives via my home outlook, but I am not using them as an ISP.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Good point, it is my ISP email I am using. maybe it needs more config or setting up to work not via my actual ISP!

I have another pop3 mail I use also which sends and receives via my home outlook, but I am not using them as an ISP.

You'll need to turn on SMTP authentication to use your ISP's SMTP server...assuming they allow that.

pop3 is incoming only, so it'll only ever receive! lol.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Sorry man, I know its pop3 incoming and smtp outgoing, but i always refer to the whole account as pop3 :)

I did try it with authentication on, but it rejected them. Will give it another go!

Bloody thing!

Some ISPs won't send unless you're on one of their ISP ranges, regardless of authentication.

Joys of having your own mailserver - I don't get issues like this ;)

Do O2 have a mailserver you can use? smtp.o2.co.uk for example? Not sure how it would work over Wifi tho?