ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone vs all - Gadget Show

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
They're not THAT open about the beta nature of Siri, unless I'm just not scrutinising their TV adverts close enough.

Could make for a fun ASA complaint against Apple

Nothing in the UK TV ad's is false.

If you look into the History of Siri, its essentially the convergence of two technologies.

Siri started off as a (US only, text and then later text and voice based) app that let you type in/ask questions and it would do the work for you, the app did a couple of things the current Siri cannot do now, even in the US - Booking tables at restaurants via open table for example.

That app sprung from a US Military project that used AI, all apple did was licence and intergrate the Nuance voice technology to allow the user to "talk" to Siri directly instead of typing questions. (a feature i wouldn't mind having back as i liked the app and used it on holiday a few times)

This probably explains why it was so easy for them to roll out more features in the USA first.

Hopefully, everyone is happy now.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Listerine & Poledo
Does it mention the "Beta" status of Siri in small print or similar then?

Mind, to be fair, it could be considered so minor a point to the average REASONABLE consumer that it isnt deemed neccesary

Black 172
Looks like another useless gimmick to me. I know if I ask where something is it'll take me ten miles away to a place that closed down 5 years ago. There will be a problem encountered with the process 9 times in 10.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
Does it mention the "Beta" status of Siri in small print or similar then?

Mind, to be fair, it could be considered so minor a point to the average REASONABLE consumer that it isnt deemed neccesary

there is a bloody great orange triangle with 'Beta' on the Apple website

2014 Focus Titanium
Wow, haven't been in the Apple Forum for a few weeks but thought I'd give this thread a read. It's good to see that someone can't have an honest opinion without people attempting to make a fool of him when in actual fact the person in question had a very valid point. How dare someone question Apple's "innovations"?

Now I remember why I never come in here.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Thats the whole point, he didn't have a valid point.

Don't come back?

Listerine & Poledo
What was so invalid

I questioned whether the advert made any mention of the limitations of Siri.

Everyone was getting hissy about the "beta" version of it and I couldn't remember there being any disclaimers on the UK TV ads.

Even Apple need to comply with the CAP codes. They probably have to be fair, they dont take chances (often).

Listerine & Poledo
Exactly, but, being a business that wants to sell things, they can sometimes stretch things to make a message more appealing to their customer base.

Of course, apple don't have to worry so much, even if their advet was just a picture of a product with "Available now" it'll have all the effect they want.

Sony, HTC et all could only dream! Motorola recently got an ASA-slap for their "lifeproof" phone, for instance.

They do. Hence the 'Sequence shortened' when they show downloading apps etc.

No adverts in any country display anything that you can't do in that country.

Quite simple really.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
They do. Hence the 'Sequence shortened' when they show downloading apps etc.

No adverts in any country display anything that you can't do in that country.

Quite simple really.

Didn't they only add that after the ASA upheld complaints that speeds depicted within the adverts weren't true to life though?