ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is a Trophy worth the extra 2-3k over a 172 cup???

Clio 172 cup
Thanks for the input guys!

Right I have made my decision and I will be buying a 172 cup instead of a trophy and these are my reasons

1, half the price
2, mondial blue is so much nicer than red and won't fade
3, don't want to have worry about rebuilding the dampers
4, plenty of cups at breakers yards for bits
5, feel the cup has now lost most of it's depreciation and prices will stay the same for a good few years due to so many been written off during the winter months, but even now they are selling for more than the equivelent 172 ff which when new cost several thousand more than the cup, think the trophy will still loose 1.5-2k in value in the next 2 years whilst the cup won't

James

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Thanks for the input guys!

Right I have made my decision and I will be buying a 172 cup instead of a trophy and these are my reasons

1, half the price
2, mondial blue is so much nicer than red and won't fade
3, don't want to have worry about rebuilding the dampers
4, plenty of cups at breakers yards for bits
5, feel the cup has now lost most of it's depreciation and prices will stay the same for a good few years due to so many been written off during the winter months, but even now they are selling for more than the equivelent 172 ff which when new cost several thousand more than the cup, think the trophy will still loose 1.5-2k in value in the next 2 years whilst the cup won't

James

Some very valid points there to be honest! The thing I would say, I have owned my Trophy since May 2009 and commute 5 days a week doing over 60 miles a day and not had any faults other than usual service items. Bear in the mind that an older car may cost you more money when things start to go wrong! I owned a 172 FF before this and was always spending money on it (had done less than 60k).........

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
All fair points, bar the damper rebuild. Or do cups have magic dampers that never need replacing?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm in this dilema at the moment!

Saw one at a local garage for £7k didn't realise that's not even a good price anymore! Recaros and Sachs.... Mmmm

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
Really?! Mine was £4 extra, lol. No brainer for me!

My Cup cost about £100 over my Trophy.

Having owned both and having covered many road and track miles in both I'd be hard pushed to choose one over the other. Both are extremely good cars and very different to one another IMO. I do miss the exclusivity of the Trophy though.
With the Cup i do find myself wishing it had ABS day to day and also not having AC can be pretty crap in the summer time!!

keo

Clio Trophy
The aircon doesnt bother me at all, infact id prefer the trophy if it was stripped out, no aircon, abs ect. But how trophys come standard i think it would be better if they had a half leather/ swade(spelling?) rear bench to match the recaro's would just finish it off better imo

Stripped yozza'd cup
Suede :)

I had this decision and went for the 172 cup.... I picked mine up for £2600 (due a cambelt soon) but still a LOT less money than the trophy....

Now I've got extra money to spend on making it faster AND more exclusive than the trophy. As said above, the fact that the cup doesn't have A/C ABS etc was enough reason for me to buy it.... I know if i'd have bought a trophy there would come a point when I wanted to strip it out, then my extra money spent would be pointless, except the dampers.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Suede :)

I had this decision and went for the 172 cup.... I picked mine up for £2600 (due a cambelt soon) but still a LOT less money than the trophy....

Now I've got extra money to spend on making it faster AND more exclusive than the trophy. As said above, the fact that the cup doesn't have A/C ABS etc was enough reason for me to buy it.... I know if i'd have bought a trophy there would come a point when I wanted to strip it out, then my extra money spent would be pointless, except the dampers.

Not to side track, but personally speaking, trying to make a normally asspirated car faster is pointless.

Dont upset the balance, if you want a fast car, buy a fast car etc and so on ;)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Never ever get this ABS thing.

I'd ALWAYS, so that's ALWAYS have ABS over not. Doesn't bother me in the slighest having it. I can understand binning off the AC but not the ABS. In fact, if I were buying another car and it said it didn't have ABS I may not buy it. Ok I can understand on a track you may want to do away with it (I don't even get that) but for the other 360 days of the year and significant mileage I'd rather have it.

Stagecoach Ticket
Never ever get this ABS thing.

I'd ALWAYS, so that's ALWAYS have ABS over not. Doesn't bother me in the slighest having it. I can understand binning off the AC but not the ABS. In fact, if I were buying another car and it said it didn't have ABS I may not buy it. Ok I can understand on a track you may want to do away with it (I don't even get that) but for the other 360 days of the year and significant mileage I'd rather have it.

As long as you respect the fact that its not there then you will be fine only thing that will cause you to crash would be driver error

Lionel Richie
I'm pretty sure the cup was built so renault could use it as a base for the group N rally cars (ie homologation) hence no ABS etc etc

and the trophy was built because they had 550 RS shells left over and got a good deal from royal mail on paint ;)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
As long as you respect the fact that its not there then you will be fine only thing that will cause you to crash would be driver error

What if a car pulled out infront of you and you were chuckling to yourself at something on the radio, you're not concentrating on how much effort you'll be able to apply to your brakes before they lock (not that this would help 99% of people anyway). You WILL panic because it doesn't happen every day, and that will make you tense and lock the brakes. Maybe that will not be the deciding factor in the possible crash, maybe it will. But ABS will never do harm on the road, that's why it's on every car.

My view on this has changed over the years. I always found the Clio's ABS to be a little too intrusive on the road. That said, the only time I'd rather have not had it was on track (in principle) but I soon realised that braking zones are so rubbered-in in that grip is extreme - if you manage to activate ABS there, then you're going to crash anyway (or you're a racing driver).

So that just leaves the road. No, you're not necessarily going to die without it. That said, I had an incident a few days ago where some guy pulled out into my lane and I had to react. My fault, as I was going too fast. I like to think I'm a fairly skilled driver (don't we all?) but I still slammed-on, and the ABS kicked-in. Pretty sure I'd have lost control without it.

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
I'm pretty sure the cup was built so renault could use it as a base for the group N rally cars (ie homologation) hence no ABS etc etc

and the trophy was built because they had 550 RS shells left over and got a good deal from royal mail on paint ;)

I have read in a renault magazine years ago about the Cup being made for homologation purposes, as you say hence the no ABS, AC, crap seats and so on. At the price it hit the show rooms they sold a lot more than they expected hence why there are nearly as many 'Cups' out there as standard 172's.

Haha leave the Trophy alone, as much as i love the Cup, especially on track as it's a little more balanced in my opinion, you can't knock the Trophy as being a absolutely awesome road car!

Italian 3.2 V6
Regarding the original question and topic..

If your after something special, then yes. If u mean perfomance wise then it's a no.

PSJ.