ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is an EK9 Type R an upgrade from a 182?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I'm recently finding myself unhealthily browsing pistonheads for these things...

now, they are:

• old
  • expensive to repair
  • worse on fuel
  • have less creature comforts
  • stand out less than my RB
  • Old as fook
  • Slower ( THIS IS A ? AS IM JUST PERSUMING THEY ARE!!)
Yet i still see my self being tempted by one... And even though they are really old, they are holding their value immensely... I mean your talking at least 6k for a mint one. I payed a bit less than that for my 182 a few months ago.

So my question is... If you could do a straight swap for your 182 for one, would you?

I have to say, id be SERIOUSLY tempted... I reckon they will hold their value ALOT more than the 182's, more reliable & LSD :approve:

Luke.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
same as Fletcher. i would say a side step. a dc5 would be and upgrade imo. but they do look mint

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Thing with my 182 is... Its currently on 53k and although its in mint condition i know il get f**k all back for it when I sell it...

Its got to the point where im thinking twice about driving it as i dont want to put milage on it :(

Was just looking at stuff I could drive that i wont loose much money on when i put the miles on...

Just looked and these are insurance grp 20 aswell :dead:

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Thing with my 182 is... Its currently on 53k and although its in mint condition i know il get f**k all back for it when I sell it...

Its got to the point where im thinking twice about driving it as i dont want to put milage on it :(

Was just looking at stuff I could drive that i wont loose much money on when i put the miles on...

f**k the mileage mate, just get out and drive it ;)

Evo 6, E92 320d
Import makes the insurance high also, teg type r for me is £1900 import, £1000 uk model!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I nearly did exactly what you're thinking of mate... twice! lol

They are rapid, easily 182 pace if you keep them on the boil.

PM me or call me if you want any help. 0782 480 7477

M2 / Golf GTI
Yh they're grp 20 but they're not that bad to insure when I looked at them. Just call your insurance.

Rys

Clio 2 RS 182
Yes, just drive it. You've obviously got the cash to sink into cars in the first place, so why not see it through. Once the pennies start sitting at the back of your mind, all the fun goes away :D

ITB'd 182...
Wouldnt worry about the mileage tbh....

But the EK will hold it's value better as said :)

Plus you get Honda reliability!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
lol

Mine must be a turd one then :dapprove:
LOL mines never had anything major wrong with it tbf... Still small things though, like this f**king limp mode bollox :mad:

Id love to go out and test drive one somehow but with me only being 19 its a bit of an issue.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
The EK9s are fast, didn't they make a lightweight 1 that was sub 6seconds 0-60?

S2 106 GTI
I say just drive the thing! I have been always worried about putting miles on my cars...even bought a 2nd car to run about in....but then I thought f**k it ITS A CAR!! its designed to be driven!

cars have all come down in price so nothing will hold its value! I swapped my LCR for my Trophy - the LCR was fast but I was paying over £1100 for insurance, I was 25 with 4 NCB and 6 points. The trophy is costing me £370 and i'm 26 now! :D

I have always fancied a type R in white, my mate has the UK anniversary edition. lovely car to drive but I don't think I would go from the trophy to one.

Save your pennys and wait till you can afford something you 'really' want! ;)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
The EK9s are fast, didn't they make a lightweight 1 that was sub 6seconds 0-60?

Race Base, yeah.

5.7s 0-60.

Manual windows, no AC, no soundproofing etc etc

Luke, if you're going to get one, seek out an Rx. Last of the line EK9's.

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
I am still a ball hair away from swapping my fn2 for an ek9.

Fn2 might be newer, faster, and to a lot of people look better.

EK9 will always be an iconic car hence they hold their value, and in terms of 182 speed, an ek9 has the same bottom end as a dc2 integra, so a stroker kit will bore it to a 1.8, watch it fly =]

(but i'm a gimp and i'm going to see a blue DC5 on sunday :) )

RDH

ClioSport Club Member

Thing is though, difference between a 182 with 50,000 miles on it, and 80,000 miles, might be a £1000.

You mite buy an EK9 and spend that mending things.

Don't fix what aint broke, and unless your desperate for one, I wouldn't make the swap mate.

Not a 320d
Christopher, what colour and plate do you think you will go for if you get a DC5 ? I know absolutely FA regarding the stats but they look stunning. IIRC the DC2 was a 1.8 but i dont know the figures.

I have a serious soft spot for them. Something about the whole JDM/Honda culture I love, but can't put my finger on it.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Race Base, yeah.

5.7s 0-60.

Manual windows, no AC, no soundproofing etc etc

Luke, if you're going to get one, seek out an Rx. Last of the line EK9's.
So its an EK9 RX AKA the one to have yes?

I was going to go for a race base B if I could find one. Rare as fook though :(

The 182 will stay for now I think, at least for another year... Then im going jap, weather it be an old evo or one of these.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Christopher, what colour and plate do you think you will go for if you get a DC5 ? I know absolutely FA regarding the stats but they look stunning. IIRC the DC2 was a 1.8 but i dont know the figures.

Championship White/Red Recaros. All DC2's use B18 engines, all DC5's use K20 two litres.

So its an EK9 RX AKA the one to have yes?

I was going to go for a race base B if I could find one. Rare as fook though :(

The 182 will stay for now I think, at least for another year... Then im going jap, weather it be an old evo or one of these.

Race Base's aren't worth bothering with dude. Best off finding a minty Type Rx.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Nope, that's the F20, they use that in the S2000.

K20A2, if you wanna get geeky. 220bhp, LSD in all DC5R's as well.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Luke, need to show you mine properly sometime, I'd go for a DC2 over the civic if you're after an old jap box to be honest.

Personally, keep the 182...

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Luke, need to show you mine properly sometime, I'd go for a DC2 over the civic if you're after an old jap box to be honest.

Personally, keep the 182...
Cheers Joe. There really tempting... As mint as your DC2 is I still prefur the ek9 for some reason...Let me have a test drive?;)

Although I also love the old school evos and DC5's AND s2k's :eek:

FFS.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
They are expensive though mate, if you get one, make sure its had loads of new bits!
I rebushed the back end of mine, some bushes, arms and bolts was £300!

Seriously, a DC2 will be cheaper to insure, more space inside, nicer looking in my opinion, and shows that you arent gay...(even though you actually are ;))

Clio 197 cup
Luke, keep the 182 and do everything you said you wanted to do to it :)

But obviously the decision is yours mate, I'm sure whatever you do or get it will be mint ;)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
They are expensive though mate, if you get one, make sure its had loads of new bits!
I rebushed the back end of mine, some bushes, arms and bolts was £300!

Seriously, a DC2 will be cheaper to insure, more space inside, nicer looking in my opinion, and shows that you arent gay...(even though you actually are ;))
LOL STFU you fag :cool:

Luke, keep the 182 and do everything you said you wanted to do to it :)

But obviously the decision is yours mate, I'm sure whatever you do or get it will be mint ;)

Cheers Ry... Student loan comes through soon :evil:

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Either way, we should have a mini meet sometime soon lukey boy, I'm sure Ryan will be up for it, and some of the boys from down here?