ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is buying a 172 Cup the right thing?

PB Clio 172
172 ABS is pretty rubbish anyway TBH, you have to drive completely without talent to ever engage it IMHO

not sure I agree there chip but yeah I see your point. My abs gets used quite a bit with all the hills around my area. I drive sensible all you need is a big hill, some poor tarmac or a drain cover, poor camber all these will engage the abs.

read the whole thread and we get this all the time on CS cup or no cup. I have not owned a cup but the 172 extras are something I cannot live without now. My next car will have to have auto wipers, lights, air con etc. I cannot live without air con for starters....

172 Flamer
Had 172 cup, 182 cup, and 172 flamer. There is very little difference in the way they feel to be honest and ABS was never a broblem for me in the dry but never pushed it hard in the wet. The 172 cup is obviously the best base clio if u plan on doing regular track days.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
not sure I agree there chip but yeah I see your point. My abs gets used quite a bit with all the hills around my area. I drive sensible all you need is a big hill, some poor tarmac or a drain cover, poor camber all these will engage the abs.

True enough mate, I'm afraid im guilty quite often of thinking in trackday terms.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Had 172 cup, 182 cup, and 172 flamer. There is very little difference in the way they feel to be honest and ABS was never a broblem for me in the dry but never pushed it hard in the wet. The 172 cup is obviously the best base clio if u plan on doing regular track days.

I really like aircon on trackdays, especially action days at combe in the summer where you spend ages queing, lol

172 Flamer
I really like aircon on trackdays, especially action days at combe in the summer where you spend ages queing, lol

Only ever done two track days and they were at brands in the winter so never thought of it like that. Cheaper cam belt change on 172 cup to! Another +

Megane R26
Well as this thread is still going, I may as well ask in here rather than clog up with a new thread.

I'm definitely set on a 172 cup and have now have the funds to buy one. The thing now is getting the right 172 cup. I have a neighbour who has been in the used car business for a while and is giving me a hand on looking for a car. He said the best thing to do would be to look at a few 172 cups that were up for sale in the area to get an idea. We have already viewed the only local 172 cup for sale, not a good example either, with the rest needing 2 hours plus journey time. I don't mind travelling that distance to purchase, but as I wont be just yet, it seems a bit stupid.

So my question is, to the people of Cliosport, would anyone from the south west be kind enough to meet up and show me around their 172 cup? Once I have viewed a good example, We will have something to compare it with, so the real fun can begin!

I appreciate that this may seem a little far-fetched, as I'm not exactly active on here and I'm braced for a fairly negative reaction, but I thought I would give it a shot!

Last edited:

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Lap times in F1 tumbled when it was introduced, and those guys can certainly drive ok.

F1 cars don't have ABS. Or have I misread this?! EDIT: assume you're talking about in the early 90s

ABS on brand new cars is probably brilliant but on the 182 I've found it to cut in a tiny bit early, same with the TC. Shouldn't be an issue on the 172 in 99% of braking situations unless you stamp on the brakes every time