ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is mine the worst melted/f***ed thumgrips Renault steering wheel ever?

As mentioned in the other thread, this was after 20k with no track use...

96470803-L.jpg

Doesn't look too bad in the pic but it felt awful. Literally appeared within a few days after a hot summer.

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Mines started going too, its got a small tear in thumb grip as M!keydee's above and also melted slightly on edges.

Whats the 197 wheel like, hopefully a direct replacement with bag and buttons???

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Damn, would be ideal quite nice to keep it standard looking, not keen on aftermarket unless the rest of the car is stripped etc

Recaro'd 182
I put meguiars leather cream on mine every 3 months and mine looks like the above wheel! :) hopefully it will stay like it :S

Mine are a little bad, but not got any worse as I always use a disklok (silver one that covers the entire wheel) Its not got any worse since, so its secure an not wearing a t-shirt like some lol.

Mine's as new but it has been in a box since the car was about 3months old, replaced with a Momo wheel. I never had any issues with my old 172 wheel and I owned that from new and sold it after about 27k miles. Maybe some of you guys have been slapping on too much old spice and the residue on your hands is melting the wheels ;)

Mine much like that (although only the last 2 pics have worked for me) thats after just 50k.

Should we have a bust up stearing wheels meet?

The dynamique ones don't seem to wear anywhere near as bad. Granted they don't jave the thumb grips but the actual wheels are usually pretty good....

My steering wheel is fine aswell :approve: just feels abit big for me :( find it hard to turn using both hands...

Clio 172
Mines melted around the outside but the thumb bits are ok. The disclock idea doesn't work as I've used one since the car was new in 2001. Reckon its crap plastic and a combination of the sweat theory.

Cooper S
Mine are a little bad, but not got any worse as I always use a disklok (silver one that covers the entire wheel) Its not got any worse since, so its secure an not wearing a t-shirt like some lol.

Surely the Disklok idea doesn't help?

I have a full face Disklok and when I had my 182 I thought that would have made it worse if used too much in the summer because it is metal and in direct sunlight it gets VERY hot so it might heat the wheel even more...

Hope the 197 wheel is going to wear better?!

Cup comes with dynamique steering wheel.. :)

Ws just looking at page3 of this thread and ukaskew has the steering wheel with the thumbgrips on his cup
96470803-L.jpg

Not i dynamique one :(

Or are the dynamique ones only on 182's ?

Clio II phase B Dynamique
Last edited:
mine after 2 years has been skinned and it been replaced in guarantee...now, after 2 years also the new one is skinned like the old one, in the same way... damned Renault!

this is the first, original whit 1 year...first signs are looked at....

http://img398.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10007362pd.jpg

and after 2 year...damn!!!

don't have pics of the last steering wheel...sorry...but was melted in the same way like this!

ah ah no towlie...thats "normal" ... my friend of Clio16vclub, my Clio Club Italy, have the same problems at 90% of Clio II fase B !

Mark - after you showed me the wheel on saturday, i'd say it's got to be the the worst by a long way. The word 'f*cked' comes to mind :dapprove: