ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is Mk1 172 quicker than Mk2 172

Alfa Mito 155TB

Hello I have never raced a Mk1 172 are they quicker than Mk2 172s?

I know with a full tank of petrol they are 20 kgs lighter than the Mk2 172 and they also get peak power at 6250RPM instead of 6750rpm in Mk2.

I have never raced a Mk1...have raced Mk2 Cups beat some, drawn some and lost some...your advice please.

Its pretty close, down to a few tenths either way. mk1 is same weight as a cup + spare wheel and toolkit. Mk2 70 odd kg heavier but with a shorter gear box. Evens itself out i reckon.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

not enough to make any noticable difference, if anyone was thinking of buying a 172 it should be on looks alone as any performance difference is zilch.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 10 August 2003

Its pretty close, down to a few tenths either way. mk1 is same weight as a cup + spare wheel and toolkit. Mk2 70 odd kg heavier but with a shorter gear box. Evens itself out i reckon.
<<<<< See how close it is :D

"they also get peak power at 6250RPM instead of 6750rpm in Mk2."

is that true????? I thought they had eactly the same engine???? i thought it was just that the mk1 is lighter, but the mk2 should have better gearing?

2012 WRX Waggon

if the weight of the bonnet is reflected in the rest of the car, the MK1 should be quicker!!

Plus didnt the MK2 have all the tree hugger eco stuff slapped on?

If the MK1 aint faster - it should be!