ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my fooked lol ?

Arctic 182, GTD
Basically my car only does 29.4mpg and it's come to my attention that's quite bad haha It has never done more since ive got it, I don't floor it everywhere, only very occasionally. I'm having all my belts and tensioners and dephasrer done on thursday. Can anyone shed sme light at all?

Cheers!

Arctic 182, GTD
Well the engine management light came on just after I got it and my mate put it on his diagnostic machine and it came up with post lambda so I bought a bosch one from work, had it fitted and the light went off. I dunno mate Ive only ever filled the tank with vpower every time lol

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
TBH I only average 30 - 32mpg over a week but that's because my commute is only about 8 miles a day through traffic with the odd 10 mile run up the motorway and back once or twice a week.

CursedTitanium 182FF
Timing may be out, also an oil & filter change could help as I have just had my oil/filter done when I was at BTM & my MPG has improve ever so slightly.

Do you do a lot of short journeys? The car has a seperate cold map until the engine is fully warm which uses a bit more fuel. If you are only making short journeys it's unlikely that it often comes off the cold map so you will be getting gash mpg. If not then perhaps it is fooked aye.

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
My old cup was doing 33 just when I bought it, changed the oil and filter and on my last trip to Scotland I averaged 39 all the way.

Arctic 182, GTD
Well at the moment I'm using my car for work so I'm doing 12 mile trips at a time, I had the oil, oil filter and gearbox oil changed when I had my lambda done. So I dunno :-/ lol is there a easy way to find out if the timing is out?

Clio 182 Cup
That's a lambda fault, my 182 was the same until I change the front lambda. Then reset the trip computer and it will improve. To reset turn on ignition while holding in the trip computer button on the end of the wiper stalk. Then it starts it's thing, then press the reset on the clocks.

182 FF, A6 Avant
Interesting.

My car, on a 50 mile round trip mway commute used to do 36-39mpg all day long.

In January my commute changed to a 12 mile round trip consisting of 5mph traffic and then a short blast on a bit of mway and a road. I also had the timing belt and everything else changed around this time too. This has seen my mpg drop to the 27-30 bracket quite consistently.

It's obviously hard to tell, due to the massive change in journey, but I had assumed that my timing may have been out before, or that it was just the journey itself.

I may look at changing the front lambda just to see if it fixes it. How much are they and where from?

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I might try this when I get some time too, got a spare good lambda in the cupboard at home. On motorway trips its high 38-40 mpg but travelling 10 miles to work every day sees me sitting between 29 and 31mpg

182 FF, A6 Avant
I might try this when I get some time too, got a spare good lambda in the cupboard at home. On motorway trips its high 38-40 mpg but travelling 10 miles to work every day sees me sitting between 29 and 31mpg

Please let us know how you get on. I don't want to shell out for a sensor if it doesn't help!

Go onto the motorway and set CC at 60mph, reset your MPG counter. If it is 40mpg+ then it's fine.

That is normal?

10 miles is not a long journey and I imagine the roads are not consistent so you are stopping and starting as well?

I can get 45mpg on the motorway @ 60, I average 31mpg during work.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Go onto the motorway and set CC at 60mph, reset your MPG counter. If it is 40mpg+ then it's fine.

totally inconclusive test. I've seen one with a dead lambda (and I mean DEAD, no signal at all) still give ~40mpg. The car didn't drive well though

Plug in and look at live data and long term trims is the only way to tell if it's working properly. And no a code reader off ebay isn't good enough for this

Arctic 182, GTD
So basically put the new lambda as the regulating probe and put the old as the diagnostic? Or would it be worth me buying a new Bosch one?? Their only £25 so surely thats'll be the best route? I just wanted to know what people thought and alot are saying lambda so I'll get that done tomorrow when cam belt done :)

Inferno 182 & Saxo

That is normal?

10 miles is not a long journey and I imagine the roads are not consistent so you are stopping and starting as well?

Yeah thats what I think, I do a lot of stop start and when on a run it gets OK figures. Besides people on here state they get high 30s in town driving so its worth a shot, its only 30 minutes work if that to swap the sensors.

totally inconclusive test. I've seen one with a dead lambda (and I mean DEAD, no signal at all) still give ~40mpg. The car didn't drive well though

Plug in and look at live data and long term trims is the only way to tell if it's working properly. And no a code reader off ebay isn't good enough for this

Well of course looking at the live data is the only true method of testing, but as mentioned in the 2394823948 other threads about poor MPG this is a good place to start for free!

182 FF, A6 Avant
So basically put the new lambda as the regulating probe and put the old as the diagnostic? Or would it be worth me buying a new Bosch one?? Their only £25 so surely thats'll be the best route? I just wanted to know what people thought and alot are saying lambda so I'll get that done tomorrow when cam belt done :)

Where can I get a Bosch lambda for £25?

182 FF, A6 Avant

That is normal?

Inconclusive I know, but over a 3 mile section @ 60mph on cc, I saw 42.5mpg this morning. The runs fine (very well in fact) so I assume it's just the type of driving I do now.