ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is swapping the ecu easy

Gonna get a Group N ecu for my 172 mk1 & was wondering if I can fit it myself. How easy is it & does anyone have a guide for doing this?

Cheers, Darren

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the metal computer cover can be a pain to get off sometimes but other than that its an easy job.

I fitted mine in my mk1 172,you just need to loosen the battery and slide it forwards so you can get to the bolts at the bottom.Rest of them are pretty straight forward.

Quote: Originally posted by BIGDAVE on 12 March 2004

I fitted mine in my mk1 172,you just need to loosen the battery and slide it forwards so you can get to the bolts at the bottom.Rest of them are pretty straight forward.

Have you noticed much of an improvement over the standard ecu mate?

I have searched on it & some people have mentioned erratic idle & low mpgs as well.

Darren

Anyone else got a Group N ecu on a 172 mk1???

There seem to be lots of people with them on mk2s & Cups but not much info on the mk1. Just wondering if the results are same considering the different throttle linkage :confused:

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

same engine just different type of throttle control so results should be the same if do they do one for the mk1.

I was thinking of doing it to my Mk 1 172, but I am not to sure. I drove a 182 yesterday and before I decide to get rid of my 172 I was gonna look at other options for increasing the power. I just really like the style of the Mk 1.

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 14 March 2004

same engine just different type of throttle control so results should be the same if do they do one for the mk1.

Its just that the group n ecu is supposed to improve throttle response & I wondered if this applies to the mk1 as well

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

you need to look at where the fuel map had changed to compensate for the so called emmision friendly standard map..

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Darren555 on 14 March 2004

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 14 March 2004

Its just that the group n ecu is supposed to improve throttle response & I wondered if this applies to the mk1 as well
probably not as much as it does with mk2s with the fly by wire throttle.

Quote: Originally posted by Andy GDI on 14 March 2004

you need to look at where the fuel map had changed to compensate for the so called emmision friendly standard map..

Could you explain what you mean please Andy. Does this also mean that it could fail the MOT emissions test?

Cheers for the guide :)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the group n ecu will still pass an mot test.even race cars i should think will have some form of emissions limit.the group n wont be to much different to the standard ecu.