ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is the clio a sports car ?

172 Cup (2003)
I've owned a sports car (Toyota MR2 MKII), and i now own a Clio.

They are not in the same category.

End.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Hmm this reminds of arseholes. Everyone has got one. Same with opinions.

To me the 172/182 is a HOT hatch not a sports car

Clio 182
The way some people talk about them on here, you'd think they were the most expensive, fastest thing on the road!

It's a sporty car, but not a sports car imo, I dislike the term hot hatch (although that is what it is) but it just gives an image of 17 year old boys tearing through Croydon...

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Chris_H said:
Sports car its not.

Hot hatch is the best term

sports cars are ferraris (the tame ones), S2000's, etc.

M3's, scoobs etc are in the hot hatch fast exec saloon category.

Super cars are Zondas, merc slr's, nova 1.2's (no really), veyrons etc

Totally agree, M3s, RS4s etc are not sports cars, they are sports/exec saloons. You wouldn't call a 1.8 A4 a sports car.

To call something a pure sports car I'd have said it has to be designed a certain way from the off, good aerodynamics etc. The MX5 for example, I'd class that as a sports car, good shape, rwd, 2 seater, not been derived from a lower spec shopping trolley :p

imho being a sports car isn't about out and out speed or handling, it's about how and why it was made like it was.

Scirocco GT 210
The clio is a supermini with a (for it's class) big engine in, so it's a fairly hot hatch.

It's not sporty and certainly cannot be classed as a 'sports car' imo.

172 Cup (2003)
Taken from Wikipedia which i know is only more opinions, but this one sums it up perfectly for me.
A sports car is a type of automobile designed primarily for performance driving.

While opinions differ as to the exact definition, most sports cars are rear-wheel drive, have two seats and two doors and are designed to provide excellent handling, acceleration, and good looks. A sports car can be described as a car whose dominant design consideration is driving performance. A sports car's main emphasis is on performance by superior road holding, braking, maneuverability, low weight and power rather than comfort, passenger space, and economy.
Sports cars can be luxurious or spartan, but driving performance is key. Drivers regard brand name and the subsequent racing reputation and history (Ferrari, Porsche, Lotus, etc.) as an important indication of sporting quality, but brands such as Lamborghini which do not race or build cars exclusively for racing are also highly regarded.

A car may be sporting without being a sports car. Performance modifications of regular cars, such as sport compacts, sports sedans, muscle cars, hot hatches and the like do not generally fall in the pure sports car territory, but share common sports car traits. Often, performance cars of all configurations are grouped under the general term Sports and GT cars or occasionally performance cars
A large, powerful engine is not required for a sports car, even though many possess them. Most early British sports cars lacked a powerful engine and did not accelerate as quickly as contemporary American muscle cars, but were known for having exceptional handling characteristics due to their combination of light weight, carefully engineered/balanced chassis, and innovative suspension designs. Lotus is often cited as an example of this approach today. On tight, twisting roads, such a car usually has higher effective performance than a heavier, more powerful car with less cornering ability.
:cool:

IMO any car that has some solid connection with competition (sport) can be considered a sports car to some degree. I'd class the Clio as a budget performance sports hot hatch. Supermini. Car :D

Steve2004 said:
The clio is a supermini with a (for it's class) big engine in, so it's a fairly hot hatch.

It's not sporty and certainly cannot be classed as a 'sports car' imo.

How can you say that?! That is one thing it definately is. A car does'nt have to a sports car to be sporty. Impreza's/Evo's for example: clearly derived from the sport called rallying yet based on family saloons

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
AC cobra's,BMW Z4,Any caterham,honda s2000,lotus elise,mazda mx5,morgans,350Z'sporche boxters,ANY TVR.And westfield's.
These are sports cars.A4's are saloon cars
Clio's are hot hatches,including the V6 because it started out as a hothatch and someone put the engine in the back.Its still a hatch though.

ian

Scirocco GT 210
Baldylocks said:
How can you say that?! That is one thing it definately is. A car does'nt have to a sports car to be sporty. Impreza's/Evo's for example: clearly derived from the sport called rallying yet based on family saloons

Quite easily. It's just a supermini, a shopping trolley with a 2.0l engine in and different suspension. In no way can it be considered a 'sporty' car.

Scoobys and evo I'd class as sporty as they have 4wd, big BHP etc, things the clio doesn't have.

Some people on here really do think highly of their cars!

This thread is funny - the clio is anything but a sports car !!
Yeah ok the big engined clios are sporty, but deffo not a sports car !

172 Cup (2003)
cat171 said:
This thread is funny - the clio is anything but a sports car !!
Yeah ok the big engined clios are sporty, but deffo not a sports car !

It's gone past funny now! It's just going round in circles!

Steve2004 said:
Quite easily. It's just a supermini, a shopping trolley with a 2.0l engine in and different suspension. In no way can it be considered a 'sporty' car.

Scoobys and evo I'd class as sporty as they have 4wd, big BHP etc, things the clio doesn't have.

Some people on here really do think highly of their cars!

IMO sportiness has nothing to do with bhp or drivetrain. Your totally missing my point. A Range Rover has big bhp and 4 wheel drive!

Gazzrenn - your right this is going in circles. Now we're arguing over the definition of sporty ffs!!

This is a very interesting thread. But at the end of the day has no resolution because it comes down to semantics. The accepted definition of a sports car is known to most people but modern hot hatches and sports saloons have started to blend definitions. There are hatchbacks and saloon cars that are faster and better handling than many sports cars but it doesn't mean they are sports cars in the true, original meaning of the term. This is not a bad thing for owners of RS Clios, I chose my car over a plethora of sports cars that I could have had for the same money or less, practicality wasn't an issue, I chose it because it was an exceptionally fun and capable car to drive, and I'm proud to be an owner of a hot hatch, what the Clio 172/182/197/V6/Megane all are.

Clio 197
DarthCake said:
As I said back on page 1 Oms, the problem lies in the definition of "sports car". Once you have the definition you can make your own mind up.

Yes and with that, one can voice his own opinion even if it's similar to what someone else thinks. ;)

M

Mark E-J

what about clio v6 then i think thtas in the sports car category imo

MKIII 138
Chris_H said:
l
The V6 is an embarrassing mistake trying to better the 5 turbo a task it cannot do.

honestly you think renault didnt know what they were doing when they made it ? have you driven one or better still owned one.
I doubt the French would be embarassed at anything they do as they dont give a f**k about what anyone else thinks and good for them otherwise you wouldnt have supermini with 225bhp and a 3.0 engine sat in the boot.. for Art, Passion, Style if not for world beating handling the car was made to turn heads and hearts not to crack a fast lap time on the Nur theres already cars that perform this function and with much, much less flair and style

BMW 328 Ci
No, I would describe a Sports car one which every model in the range has sporting pedagree or at least a lot of style. I would say its a car that is designed to be a Fast/Stylish car from day one rather than a car that has evolved into being one from base models.

At the end of the day the Clio Sport is just a 1.2 with a larger engine, decent suspension and a bodykit. Although my argument kinda falls down as I would describe an M3 as a sports car when the 316 is none of the above, but I would say that is far enough away to be classed as its own car. Its all a case of opinion, but if you ask average Joe Public the vast vast majority will not describe the Clio Sport as a Sports car, by owning one your opinion on if it is a sports car is very biast.

M

Mark E-J

clio v6 someone buy me one

in my opinion the only mistake that renault ever made was not enough went into the r5 steering development they handle s**t but then they did learn from thye mistakes when they made the clio.

and in hot hatches catagory dont think any french car ca rival it

MKIII 138
thats a weird one the M3 is a sportscar yet only in convertible guise, put the roof back on and its just a fast saloon

S-Max
Clio Sport is just a 1.2....?? You forgot about the alloys, wider wheels, better interior & more importantly adding together the larger engine & far improved suspension you have one hell of a different car!!

Still I agree that my 172cup is not a sports car in the trur meaning of the world. A clio 1.2 and my car are as different as a 1.6i BMW & an M3 (well nearly but you get my point)

Mack said:
...if you ask average Joe Public the vast vast majority will not describe the Clio Sport as a Sports car

This is true, but the vast majority of people in their 'sports' cars trying to act hard, get their pants pulled down by my non-sport Clio :)

Sport means competition, not a gay car with two chairs and a shitty 1.8 lump.

MKIII 138
Mack said:
At the end of the day the Clio Sport is just a 1.2 with a larger engine, decent suspension and a bodykit.

thats a bit of a daft sweeping statement really explain these bits then...

• ABS with EBD
• Body coloured sports rear spoiler
• Extended front wings and sills
• Renaultsport front and rear bumper
• Body coloured bumpers, door handles and side mouldings
16" Anthracite Renaultsport alloy wheels with 205/45 tyres
• Lower ride height
• Stiffer springs (20% front, 15% rear)
• Stiffer dampers (20% front, 10% rear)
• Strengthened front wheel hub carriers
• Revised steering geometry
• Additional lower front spoiler
• Enlarged rear spoiler
• Climate Control
• Heat reflecting windscreen
• 4x40W Cabasse RDS radio single CD
with 6 speakers and remote control
• Leather/alcantara upholstery with sports front seats
• Aluminium finish fascia inserts and
instrument surrounds
• Double optic Xenon headlamps with auto height adjustment
• Headlamp wash
• Front fog lamps
• ESP
• Remote control central locking
• Cruise Control with Speed Limiter
• Insurance approved Thatcham Cat 1 alarm

so mate its not just a 1.2 nor is it a 1.4 or 1.6 or DCI. sure reno could have been lazy lowered the suspension 20mm and fettled the 1.6 to produce 130bhp like all the other manufacturers did at the time i.e 206gti, lupo gti etc.. but they didnt they really went for it and made it a definate step up yet still the same car and didnt charge the earth

imo of course

Audi TT 225
Dont confuse "sports cars" with "super cars". There is a difference.

I read some where that the Clio V6 was about as close as you can get to a sports car without paying the price tag... its "sports car like" performance in an affordable hot hatch.

The clio sports and v6's are either the top of their league as a hatch or the bottom rung of the sport car ladder... which would you prefer?

Everyone bangs on about v6's. After having owned one I can say i'd rather have something like a cup. They are as quick really and handle a lot better, are cheaper and less things to go wrong on them.

v6 has a wow factor because it has a mid-engine it's sound and looks stylish. The majority of people on here have never driven a v6 and know little about them. It's very good in saying "oh i'd love a v6 they are so nice it's definately a sports car" but until you have actually driven a sports car you would realise the v6 is far from it. Even if the sportscar you have driven is slower than the v6. I think some people will understand what i'm saying here but for those who don't... well nevermind.

Granted, i enjoyed the time I owned my v6 although I thought it was a little boring from time to time with the drive. It's definately not a sports car. It's still a clio shell/hatchback/shopping trolley and nothing will change that.

The way some people post in these and similar threads is though clio's are the best car ever produced, nothing will beat them and they'll never have a better car than the one they currently own. You know who you are :)

M

Mark E-J

personally i think the 205 gti was one of the best french cars ever produced having owned 2 a 1.6 and a 1.9 handeling was awesome.

love my valver more though because of the looks and power difference

hot hatch not sports car though