ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is This 172 An Import?

Mercedes SLK350
I had a look at my mate's newly bought 172 yesterday.

I used to have the same Iceburg 172 as his, mine was an 02 plate, his is a 51 plate.

I noticed there were no internal alarm sensors at the top of the "A" posts.

Is there someone on here who can cross reference his reg number to find out if he has bought an import? If you can, p.m. me, and I will forward his reg number.

Many thanks, Lee.

If there are no alarm sensors then it won't have an alarm, so it would be an import. Check if its got a flashing light by the gear stick, if not its an import.

Another thing to look for is the window etchings & locking wheel nuts (imports don't have them)

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
The uk cars all had the alarms fitted when they hit the country (i.e. they don't leave the factory in France with them), the non official imports didn't.

But a lot of places selling the imports (motorpoint etc) usually offered a fitting service for a few quid extra that most people went for I think,

Also I'm not 100% sure this is true, but some cars which come in from Cyprus don't have under seal apparently.

RB 182
My steering wheel melted on my 51 plate import AND my 02 plate import lol

Neither had/has an alarm or locking wheel nuts, but everything else is the same :D

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
They are all built in the same factory with the same parts, the extras are added when the car lands on our shores.