ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this Clio 182 a good buy?

Clio 182 FF
Hi guys, I'm new here. Looking to buy myself a 182 very soon.

I've seen one locally, it's a 2005 05, 68000 miles, fsh with belts and water pump done at 55k, silver, 4 owners, in tidy condition. Will come with a new mot and 6 months tax. Looks to have the cup chassis, but not the cup spoiler pack. Asking price is £2000 and he won't budge on that.

Is it a good buy do you think?

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I don't blame them, that's a good price but I'd like to of seen the dephaser changed personally but it's not a deal breaker. Throw some pics up.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
No cup spoiler often means wheels refurbed to look like cup chassis alloys- Just a comment, so you know.

it may only be a non cup chassis car which is worth less ( not worthless )

Check the invoice for the belts- hopefully someone respectable ( check for cambelt kit + aux belt KIT)

good luck.

S

Clio 182 FF
2aqy6u3a.jpg

yjetatyp.jpg

sajubujy.jpg

Not sure about the dephaser... Not even sure what that is.

No cup spoiler often means wheels refurbed to look like cup chassis alloys- Just a comment, so you know.

it may only be a non cup chassis car which is worth less ( not worthless )

Check the invoice for the belts- hopefully someone respectable ( check for cambelt kit + aux belt KIT)

good luck.

S

No strictly true, as theres two cup packs. Aero one which is the cup spoiler and splitter, then the suspension one which is stiffer lower suspension and anthracite wheels.

It could just have one cup pack. There is also no such thing as a cup chassis, the chassis is exactly the same it's just the suspension that's different.

However that does have a cup spoiler.

I think it's had the front bumper resprayed. The lack of 'little black squares' show that. That's not so bad, but check to see if it has been in an accident etc.

Transit & Death trap
Looks like a FF to me.
Price seems more than reasonable imo, have you done a HPi check?... if not, do one just to be sure.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
No strictly true, as theres two cup packs. Aero one which is the cup spoiler and splitter, then the suspension one which is stiffer lower suspension and anthracite wheels.

It could just have one cup pack. There is also no such thing as a cup chassis, the chassis is exactly the same it's just the suspension that's different.

However that does have a cup spoiler.

Whilst that is true straight out of the Renault options list ( & thanks for splitting hairs forum police- everyone calls it the cup chassis), the reality is 182's specced with cup chassis but not spoiler are almost nil.

Ive only sold 80 182s- so maybe I don't know.

Its not the end of the world either way & the buyer wont be able to find out unless the original invoice is there.

S
Seeing the pics - almost impossible to tell but the ride height looks high.

Last edited:

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Looks to have cup spoiler. So maybe its FF cup cack...

Just make sure you HPI it because as already mentioned the front bumper has been sprayed.

S

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Aye the front bumper has been painted so its likely the splitter was either damaged or just not re-fitted..

Hpi it though.

Good price that. I would snap it up then spend a few quid sorting little niggly bits etc.

Don't worry about dephaser or cup packs as near on everyone changes the suspension setup anyway. Only down side is if it does have the cup suspension the options of aftermarket shocks and coilovers is few and far between.

Also these are now near on 10 years old so they are not going to be in showroom condition.

My advice is buy it!;)

Oh and the bumper may well have been resprayed due to stone chips and an OCD owner.

Clio 182 FF
Cheers for the help guys. I can see talk of cup packs is a fiery topic here!

The car is HPI clear, that was the first thing I did.

Will give the guy a shout to see if he still has it.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
HPi and if that's clear, buy. 2k for that is cheap imo

people on here just drive down the price of these cars and parts as they are all cheapskates (they learn that from me ;) )

same things happened to the mk1 scene about 5 years ago, no its dead :(

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Don't worry even if it doesn't have cup packs, can very easily be added by yourself.

And suspension just means you have more choice for aftermarket ones ;)

Looks good to me. Seems very cheap.

It looks to have cup suspension and a cup spoiler. I'd assume the front splitter wasn't replaced when the bumper was sprayed. Might have just been done for stone chips.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
IMPORT? where from and when I wonder? Somewhere sunny could mean has hasn't been exposed to our $hit weather. .

Clio 182 FF
I did wonder if it was an import. Makes no difference to me. I know Motorpoint used to sell a lot of import 172/182's, they were brand new with delivery mileage. Not sure where they came from though.

133/225/CLS AMG
Wouldn't worry if it's an import as it's been made in the same factory as all the other 182s, should be the same spec as well. Likely that it's only even been driven in the UK anyway.

As for the front bumper, I had my one resprayed on my 172 as they covered the little black inserts too. That was only because of a scratch along the front. Worth checking there's serious damage but could purely be for cosmetic reasons rather than anything really serious.

Looks like a pretty good buy to me, as long as it's HPI clear and in the condition it appears in the pictures. For that money the Cup chassis isn't imperative, some after market suspension will make it handle as well as Cup anyway.

Wouldn't worry if it's an import as it's been made in the same factory as all the other 182s, should be the same spec as well. Likely that it's only even been driven in the UK anyway.

As for the front bumper, I had my one resprayed on my 172 as they covered the little black inserts too. That was only because of a scratch along the front. Worth checking there's serious damage but could purely be for cosmetic reasons rather than anything really serious.

Looks like a pretty good buy to me, as long as it's HPI clear and in the condition it appears in the pictures. For that money the Cup chassis isn't imperative, some after market suspension will make it handle as well as Cup anyway.
They're not though, lots don't have a factory cat 1 alarm on them, or locking wheel nuts. They are things that have probably been put on it by now though.

133/225/CLS AMG
They're not though, lots don't have a factory cat 1 alarm on them, or locking wheel nuts. They are things that have probably been put on it by now though.

Sorry I should of said, virtually the same spec but on a £2k car, do those two fairly minor difference make a big difference? As you say, locking wheel nuts, probably bought already and provided it's got the immobiliser the difference at this price range is negligible.

Mines an import shipped in from spain new by a perfomance car company up north (have the import papers somewhere) and iirc only difference is that they don't have etched glass or alarm system, locking nuts and window wipers are the wrong way round!!

As Coops said prices are being pushed down quite badly now due to folk thinking they can buy a minter for £1200 so £3000 is too much according to most lol.

Clio 182 FF
Well, agreed to buy the 182. Loads of paper work with it, had belts and VVT pulley done in 2011, a new clutch, and poly bushes fitted. The guys even agreed to service it for me.

Collecting the car tomorrow

Clio 182 FF
Oh and one good thing about being an import. It's not fitted with a toffee steering wheel, it's a nice perforated leather job.

I have a black 182 55 plate, 61k full fat 2 owners, all serviced, new pads all round, newish tyres but cheapos tax/mot bought from a mate who looked after it (but never cleaned it!!), all in decent condition IMO really considering the age.

and I paid less than that... But I think I got a proper bargain :) a lot of car for 2k