ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this possible?

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Want a 17/82 by the end of the year, been looking for one on and off all year now but just never got round to getting one with holidays etc. I want a 182 really just because they are newer and generally lower mileage plus they all come with all the extras where as it's difficult to find a 172 with everything.

However I despise the twin exhaust on a 182 it looks daft IMO, so is it possible to fit a 172 bumper (sprayed the right colour) and then a normal single exit exhaust with a cutout for it on the left/right hand side? Or will that not work because of the way the bottom of the car is designed to house a twin exhaust?

Cheers.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
As I said I want a 182 really as they are newer and lower mileage. Full fat 172s seem hard to find. I also fancy an arctic blue one but want my luxuries so no 172 cup.

Lionel Richie
^LOL!!!

low mileage is the last thing you should care about, service history and cambelt change is the most important

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
I like subtle styling that doesn't make your car stand out and the rest of the styling is subtle but then you get these in your face twin exhausts that look like they have just been stuck there for the sake of it at the last minute so it doesn't look the same as the 172.

The 172 is a bit of a sleeper, take the sport badge off and change the bullets on the side and most people wouldn't know what it was.

A ANIMAL
I like subtle styling that doesn't make your car stand out and the rest of the styling is subtle but then you get these in your face twin exhausts that look like they have just been stuck there for the sake of it at the last minute so it doesn't look the same as the 172.

The 172 is a bit of a sleeper, take the sport badge off and change the bullets on the side and most people wouldn't know what it was.

Fair do's. a 172 bumper would fit no problems and a custom exhaust could be made without much of an issue. Obviously there would be no spare wheel well but other than that if you wanted to do that thens theres nothing to stop you.

It's A Reno
There could be a way to stealth the existing 182 exhaust and save you some pennies, unless you want a cutout.
I'm the same. I am not a fan of the 182 twin exhaust and like the clean lines of the 172 rear end.

There's also some wise words from the Fred up there. ^^^

V6 255 (Illiad Blue)
Just wait it out and find the right low mileage 172. I had one for 5 years and loved every min of it. The benefit of the 172 is a spare wheel in the boot. the 182 doesnt due to the twin exhaust pipes taking up the room. Since you dislike the twin pipes, it makes perfect sense to get a 172 instead

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
I wasn't too keen on the 182 rear end at first, but I have started to like it more.
I was sick of people trying to 'have a go' at my other car so I went for a 172 as it is a little more discreet. Anything for a quiet drive. Went for a sport as I like the way they look and they offer safer overtaking on motorways etc.

I have an 04 172, with air con, cruise conrtol, speed limiter etc, it has just passed 40k and the belts were done ready before I picked it up.

I saw a couple of 2003/2004 plate 172's with all the 'gear'.

53 Clio's & counting
agreed with Scott, don't waste your money getting a 182 fella, just look for a later reg'd (02 on) 172, it should have everthing the 182 has, exept you wont need to worry about messing about with exhausts and bumpers

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
But I want a blue 1 lol. I spose your right tho but not many come fully loaded unless I find a 53/04 plate that's why I figured it would be easier doing it this way.

It's A Reno
But I want a blue 1 lol. I spose your right tho but not many come fully loaded unless I find a 53/04 plate that's why I figured it would be easier doing it this way.

Monaco Blue, THE best blue. imo apart from Mondial ofcourse.....and Illiad

The only thing you lose pre 53 plate is the cruise control IIRC, and I practically never use mine.

320d
Get a realy late 04 plate 172. Its not really worth the hastle or costs fitting a 172 exhaust and bumper.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I really don't understand people who want a performance car but don't want people to know about it. That's like getting an M5 and sticking an SE rear bumper on it because you don't want people to see the quad exhausts.

In relation to your question, I'd personally just hold out and find a mint 172. From what I've read on here and seen for myself, there really isn't alot of difference between the two. Some people on here even after owning both of them prefer the 172 over the 182.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
I really don't understand people who want a performance car but don't want people to know about it. That's like getting an M5 and sticking an SE rear bumper on it because you don't want people to see the quad exhausts.

In relation to your question, I'd personally just hold out and find a mint 172. From what I've read on here and seen for myself, there really isn't alot of difference between the two. Some people on here even after owning both of them prefer the 172 over the 182.

Well some people don't like to stand out like me because then you get bellends trying to race you all the time. If it looks normal then you can pick and choose who you want to have a play with. You also don't get bellends keying your cars out of jealousy or w/e if it looks like it's nothing special.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
^ Fair point. It's a shame it is like that though really, having to put other people's lack of respect before anything else.

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Well some people don't like to stand out like me because then you get bellends trying to race you all the time. If it looks normal then you can pick and choose who you want to have a play with. You also don't get bellends keying your cars out of jealousy or w/e if it looks like it's nothing special.

That's it, I want to be able to have the kids in the car without being hassled by every knob with something to proove. The power is there when I need it.