ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this real or fake? (Steering wheel content)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
My GF has bought me a steering wheel for the ph1 as my current one is cheap and bendy. She see this advertised on another Clio Facebook group. She knows I'm after a MOMO team 300mm and this looks exactly like it... But the writing on the wheel is in black unlike this common yellow.

Did they revise this said wheel or is it an different wheel by MOMO or is it a fake. I know there's fakes on the market so I dont want her to pay £90 if it's fake. Cheapest I've found them is £154 new and this said wheel is in very good Condition.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
IMG-20150827-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20150827-WA0001.jpg

RenaultSport clio 182
Does it matter? You like it and can't tell the difference and it was a bargain. If she paid full price then it would matter but it was cheap and you like it! Looks good to me.

Ph2 Meg 225
The momo writing looks to have been coloured in as it's darker than the anodised metal wheel, looks nice either way!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
It does matter in the fact I bought my current wheel cheap and it's VERY bendy, in fact it's dangerous. Now its not a big named wheel (omp/momo) but it still unsafe. Being that there is fakes out there I don't want her to buy it, me get it and fit it and it have the same problem

The seller has sent her a few decent pics with part numbers and it turns out its actually a MOMO D30 steering wheel. It looks like a team but slightly different. I like it so I'm keeping it :smile:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Me too. In fact I prefer it to the team as the momo engraving is more subtle, but is the same size and design as the team (perforated leather on the inside, all black, very similar shape, etc) but £60 less for a nearly new wheel :smile:

That's why I was asking as I'd never seen this wheel before so I wasn't sure if it was the real deal or a fake.

RenaultSport clio 182
Cool. I thought you already had it when I posted. Never occurred to me that a cheap wheel could be bendy and unsafe...I've inly ever had sparco and omp wheels ( in 205 gtis). Glad to hear your keeping it, it looks good.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Tom. Once the new wheel arrives I'll video my current one, it's comical.

I've had omp and sabelt ones. Always fancied a momo but the prices were a bit steep.

330i. E30 Touring.
I'd never buy a cheap/fake/replica wheel after seeing some of the videos on YouTube.

E.g.

I crashed my old 106 whilst holding onto a fake OMP. It's proper bent.

Luckily i was going backwards into what i hit. lol.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I took a vid of my old steering wheel which I'll upload. Now it cost me £50 which is a bit than I've paid before. I've paid £75 for my last omp one. This was new and looked decent in the catalogue and was in 320mm which I wanted to try, however this is big time unsafe. Tbh I'm surprised they can sell this.

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
It does matter in the fact I bought my current wheel cheap and it's VERY bendy, in fact it's dangerous. Now its not a big named wheel (omp/momo) but it still unsafe. Being that there is fakes out there I don't want her to buy it, me get it and fit it and it have the same problem

The seller has sent her a few decent pics with part numbers and it turns out its actually a MOMO D30 steering wheel. It looks like a team but slightly different. I like it so I'm keeping it :smile:

That is actually a Momo Team by the way mate.

One the back, yours will say 'Typ D 30'. The 'D30' you mention is not the style/model of wheel, that relates to the diameter, i.e. 300mm. If you get the 280mm Momo Team, it would say 'Typ D 28' on the back.

So that is actually a 300mm Momo Team. I used to have one and that also had 'D30' on the back. It just tells you what diameter version of the wheel you have.

Looks good by the way, and a good price.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Ah I see. It looks exactly like a team but with black rather than yellow writing, hence my post. Having fitted it, it certainly feels and looks genuine!

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
I always remember the Fifth Gear review of a Westfield by Plato, and how bendy the steering wheel was. Shocked it was even allowed to be sold like it...