ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is Windows 8 utter crap?

Looking for a new Dell laptop (my current Dell has been excellent)

Just can't get one with Windows 7 on anymore, it's 8 or nothing.

Im currently running Vista, and want a newer version of it, hence windows 7.

Is Windows 8 really crap as I don't want to get one with it and regret it massively.

Thanks.

Clio 197 f1
its one of them.... you have to get used to it, at first its complicated and annoys you but once played around with it for a while it gets to be ok. i think it was designed to be more of a tablet/touchscreen setup you can use it like you would normally see the desktop screen but it always starts up like a windows phone just boxs one saying media player one says internet like different colors. google windows 8 and you will see the screen i mean then you have to click something if you want to use it the old way.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I fcuking hate it.

Get used to seeing this:
ihatewin8.png

Note that there's no cancel button.

Oh and Metro's s**t.

Listerine & Poledo
Any minute now, the iClique are going to burst in.

But yeah, as above, you'll need to get used to it but its all windows. Thing is, if you couldn't hack 7 (which mine is set to work just like '98) then god help you ;)

Clio 197 f1
i don't see why you couldn't tbh, but what i would recommend is if you have a version of windows 7, why don't you just buy a laptop with no operating system on it this for example http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/novatechnspiren1532.html if you wanted that laptop you can choose what os you want on it or none at all, you cant do this with pc world tho as they have to have an os go to a proper computer shop. i dont know of any in your area but this one is close to me.

Titanium 182
Please don't buy dell, they are so bad! I've had 3 in my family and they've all gone to s**t. The batteries are the worst. They're cheap for a reason.

Go Sony/Acer/Asus imo

SQ5
Dell are the only battery I've had that's lasted. Still get 2 hours off charge and its 3 years old!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
My asus is the dogs tbh. All of my old computers have had flaws in one way or another, GPU> CPU, CPU>GPU, unstable frame rates, poor cooling e.t.c. This Asus has everything just right and feels much more solidly built.

Tangoed Works
Had 2 dells only used for emails and typing. After one year slow after 2 years complete and utter

Had 2 dells only used for emails and typing. After one year slow after 2 years complete and utter

lol @ this, so have you ever defragged it or performed any sort of maintenance? This is windows after all..

Being slow is down to user error, unless the hardware actually failed? (in which case you'd have nothing).

SQ5
Exactly. Mine gets a disc cleanup every week or so then a defrag once every few months. It starts up quickly and opens most program's in a reasonable time.

340i
I've had a Dell laptop for 7yrs now, still works perfectly.

infact it was only this year I rebuilt it as it was starting to slow down, great after a rebuild again!

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Click 'Desktop' when you get to the start screen in Windows 8... and there you have it! Windows 7 :) (basically) it's 80% the same I'd say, with a few s**tter things, and a few better things. They're mostly very minor though, for instance I love the volume increase on-screen (when you have a compatible keyboard) but I hate the fact that shutting down is now a 5 click process.

Yaris Hybrid
Don't listen to people on other forums who knock Windows 8.

Windows 8 runs a lot faster than Windows 7 in my experience with better support of modern hardware and things like USB3.

All you need to do is install this:

http://www.classicshell.net/

Once you have that installed then for 99% of users it is identical to Windows 7 but faster.

SQ5
Cheers for classic shell link. My dads just got a new PC and he's not getting on well with windows 8 coming from XP

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Don't listen to people on other forums who knock Windows 8.

Windows 8 runs a lot faster than Windows 7 in my experience with better support of modern hardware and things like USB3.

All you need to do is install this:

http://www.classicshell.net/

Once you have that installed then for 99% of users it is identical to Windows 7 but faster.

I OWE YOU A BEER!

This is awesome, its fixed my screen resolution, and I have a start menu!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Please don't buy dell, they are so bad! I've had 3 in my family and they've all gone to s**t. The batteries are the worst. They're cheap for a reason.

Go Sony/Acer/Asus imo

I have purchased, probably going on for over 200 Dell laptops.. there was a couple that needed a new battery sure, but they were used daily (business use) and were 5 years old. On top of that you recommend Acer PMSL. Seriously, not being funny but even the CEO of Acer said their laptops were crap.

On the Windows 8 front, just no.. it's like Vista all over again. Best thing you can do is what Toypop recommended.. classic shell gives you windows 7 (almost) again.

clio 182 black /gold

Go Sony/Acer/Asus imo
I have had a Dell it was very bad. The disc drive went. Then the ram went then the main processer went. I paid £800 about 7 years ago. Never again. I have windows 8 but not tried it yet.

Polo + Micra
i'm still on the side that my dell laptop was better with vista than it is with 8 (non responsive and hangs + bluetooth no longer works)

i'm going to try that classic shell see if it gets any better

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
There's nothing wrong with windows 8. the UI is better then 7 imo once you get used to it and learn all its tricks. most users wont even need to enter the desktop mode if all they are doing is browsing the web and emailing. If you can afford a convertible touch screen model, do so; you will benefit loads by having the ability to use it like a tablet when you just browsing apps/internet, but have the power when you need it when using desktop apps like photoshop.

Evo 5 RS
Unless you are running it on a touch screen device it's purpose is mute. It's that simple. It's practically unusable otherwise IMO

Fiesta ST
Unless you are running it on a touch screen device it's purpose is mute. It's that simple. It's practically unusable otherwise IMO

Unusable? really?

I've been using it for months in the IT industry and it's far from unusable. Some people just don't like change.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep

Unusable? LOL

I think Win8 is brilliant. Fair enough, some may not like the Metro but its one button or even "WinKey + D" and your on a desktop which is Windows 7.

The apps on Win8 are way better. I like the fact I can have Netflix and Sky Sports all in live tiles on when I boot it.

Classic Shell is good to if your really not getting on with it.

People who say Win8 is crap is because they haven't give it time. Like people saying the clio 4 looks crap when they aint seen one in the flesh. They'll like it after a few weeks!

Polo + Micra
yeah on a tablet i think win 8 would work well but when you got a cpu that can do decent number crunching it's crap

the e-mail app looks like it was designed in ms paint on a win 98 machine

I wouldn't say Unusable, but a PITA to do anything.

Want to do something in Windows 7? 2 clicks.
Want to do something in Windows 8? About 10 clicks, and then you either can't find it and need to Google, or you've found it and it's moved.

S3, Polo

Christ, really?

It's basically the same OS as 7 with a few trinkets that take some getting used to!

While Metro can't be turned off (without a Registry hack) it can be tailored to house all of your application shortcuts, like your task bar, so that when Windows starts, it gives you the option to open your favourite app atraight away.

No start button means the Windows key needs to be used more in 8:
Win+W = Settings & Search
Win+E = Explorer
Win+D = Desktop
Win+F = Files

Want to shut down? Tap the power button.

Log off? WinKey then click on your name.

Roll over the top right-most corner and get access to a 'start bar' - Search/ Devices/ Settings.

It also boots faster than any previous iteration of Windows, IMO. Time will tell if it slows down over time like 98 and Vista.

Some people just don't like change.

Nail. Head.

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST
yeah on a tablet i think win 8 would work well but when you got a cpu that can do decent number crunching it's crap

the e-mail app looks like it was designed in ms paint on a win 98 machine

How is Windows 8 crap at number crunching? don't understand what you mean?

Email I use Outlook so no different to Windows 7

Want to do something in Windows 7? 2 clicks.
Want to do something in Windows 8? About 10 clicks, and then you either can't find it and need to Google, or you've found it and it's moved.

What takes 10 clicks in Windows 8? please give me an example?

Last edited:
  Polo + Micra
How is Windows 8 crap at number crunching? don't understand what you mean?

i mean i don't need light weight crap looking apps with a infinite supply of power and a decent cpu like you would on a tablet/phone.

yeah i had outlook express in vista and what do i get with this s**t?

Fiesta ST
So don't use the store apps? Use normal Desktop applications? just because Store apps are available to you doesn't mean you have to use them at all - you can remove them completely if you like.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Another issue with Windows 8 - it sends my Logitech G15 keyboard into disco-inferno mode!

Accidently catch a key on the keyboard and the whole board lights up and flickers like a b**ch - even though the PC is physically switched off. That issue doesn't happen with Windows 7. Must be some power-waking horse within Windows 8.

Personally, I'm more than happy to stick with Windows 7. The 'benefits' of 8 just don't apply to me on my desktop.

D.

Evo 5 RS
Christ, really?

It's basically the same OS as 7 with a few trinkets that take some getting used to!

While Metro can't be turned off (without a Registry hack) it can be tailored to house all of your application shortcuts, like your task bar, so that when Windows starts, it gives you the option to open your favourite app atraight away.

No start button means the Windows key needs to be used more in 8:
Win+W = Settings & Search
Win+E = Explorer
Win+D = Desktop
Win+F = Files

Want to shut down? Tap the power button.

Log off? WinKey then click on your name.

Roll over the top right-most corner and get access to a 'start bar' - Search/ Devices/ Settings.

It also boots faster than any previous iteration of Windows, IMO. Time will tell if it slows down over time like 98 and Vista.

Nail. Head.

I'm a gamer, and it's slower than windows 7 currently. Nor does it have any benefit over Windows 7. You've not actually given me any reason as to why it's an improvement for you personally either, only explained changes. In fact half of those are in W7 anyway.

You're aware they're working on a multi platform replacement for it already?

S3, Polo
I'm a gamer, and it's slower than windows 7 currently. Nor does it have any benefit over Windows 7. You've not actually given me any reason as to why it's an improvement for you personally either, only explained changes. In fact half of those are in W7 anyway.

You're aware they're working on a multi platform replacement for it already?

I didn't realise that I was suggesting there were benefits? I was merely contesting the fact that you said it was practically useless, which is nonsense.

In real terms there is no real benefit in upgrading from 7 (unless you managed to get the Pro upgrade for £25 from 7 HP and want to connect to a network), but if you're buying a new PC it's not the rubbish OS that you claim - far from it! And, as you also and I have both said: most of the features are in W7 anyway:

I've had to use it as part of a roll-out at work and not found that it's hindered me one bit. In fact, in a work environment (where I use massively graphically intense applications like ZBrush, Maya, Max, After Effects, Premiere Pro, VVVV and Unity) it's just like W7 and these applications will place similar loads on my system that even high-end games will place on yours. There's been no discernible difference or slow-down. A stab in the dark, but maybe your drivers aren't compatible/ up to date?

Bearing in mind it's a work machine, here's a reason it's an improvement for me:
It also boots faster than any previous iteration of Windows, IMO.

I'm also aware that MS working on an OSX-like roll-out for the next iteration of Windows, yes. Not sure on the relevance of that when contesting that W8 is aimed at mobile devices and is useless, though?

Last edited: