ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Iv been hussled!

Family Bus
Eek! Whats the latest??

quite interested to see what has happened here?

Can never be too careful when buying cars can you :S

2002 DCi 65
Bought as seen....end of.

if as a buyer you fail to check the basics - Logbook v's chassis/engine numbers - vin plates etc - then you buy at your peril

nothing will come of this i can guarantee you.

you just learnd the hard way

182 RB FF
Interested to see what happens with this, although what ever the outcome its not going to be good.

Gutted for you mate.

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
so whats the engine number then?

C005020 ? ;)

Lol thats what it should be ;)

I can confirm it hasn't had a new engine under warranty.
We have never seen the vehicle at Westover Renault in Bournemouth.

yeh, hpi hardly ever gets updated with the number when a new engine goes in, so if its different to that someones been fiddling under your bonnet :dapprove:

whoever says 'Sold as Seen' = no comeback is totally incorrect.

'Sale of Goods Act' states that the item must be as described and fit for the purpose its intended.

You purchased a car that wasn't as described in the advert and definitely wasn't fit for the purpose as you are now having to repair it.

Personally if it was me the car would be driven straight through their front door with me demanding my cash back.

Iceberg 172 Cup

'Sale of Goods Act' states that the item must be as described and fit for the purpose its intended.

You purchased a car that wasn't as described in the advert and definitely wasn't fit for the purpose as you are now having to repair it.

Personally if it was me the car would be driven straight through their front door with me demanding my cash back.

Stop talking cheese.

Private sale! You cant prove jack s**t. With a garage/dealer as stated in your previous post maybe.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

Would not be viable on a private sale.

However, if it did, the seller could then just revert any "action" to be taken straight back to the manufacturer of the product, under the Consumer Protection Act

Chelsea tractor

If you bothered to read more of the act than just that quote, you'd discover that it has to be a sale "in the course of business", as others above me have pointed out...

Mini Cooper S sport

No they're not, they're totally correct!!

From the RAC on buying privately:

Your rights

The seller must not mis-describe or misrepresent the vehicle - to this end if the car is described as having had just "one previous owner" and this should turn out not to be the case then the car has failed to conform to its description and a claim for compensation or rejection might follow. As above the description must have been made prior to the sale and must have been a factor in deciding to buy the car.
As you can see the usual rights that you expect from a dealer are not applicable and there is usually little that can be done about a car that has developed a defect after sale unless the sale was prompted by a mis-description.

So what's happened to the guy? I want to know if he's checked it!

BTW, I've just found a REALLY useful form for anyone who's selling a used car:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg_sellerscontract.html

Last edited:

If you bothered to read more of the act than just that quote, you'd discover that it has to be a sale "in the course of business", as others above me have pointed out...

Clearly you don't have a clue :S

The sale of goods act covers both business and private sales!

Private sales are harder to contest as there will be less of a paper trail to support the false pretenses.

I've just spoken with my director, a qualified lawyer who works in London and graduated from Oxford so i think he has more knowledge on the subject of law than you.

The downside of a private sale is that the term 'caveat empor' applies which means 'buyer beware'. This means that if the car was exactly as described in the advert then he wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

However in this case hes saying that the mileage doesn't match the advert so that means that section 13 of the sales of goods act can now be enforced which states that the item sold must match the description!

see Q12 http://www.berr.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page38071.html

Last edited:
No they're not, they're totally correct!!

From the RAC on buying privately:

Your rights

The seller must not mis-describe or misrepresent the vehicle - to this end if the car is described as having had just "one previous owner" and this should turn out not to be the case then the car has failed to conform to its description and a claim for compensation or rejection might follow. As above the description must have been made prior to the sale and must have been a factor in deciding to buy the car.
As you can see the usual rights that you expect from a dealer are not applicable and there is usually little that can be done about a car that has developed a defect after sale unless the sale was prompted by a mis-description.
So what's happened to the guy? I want to know if he's checked it!

BTW, I've just found a REALLY useful form for anyone who's selling a used car:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg_sellerscontract.html

LMAO learn to read! As from the AA webiste you've just quoted

The only legal terms that cover a private sale contract are:
  • the seller must have the right to sell the car
  • the vehicle should not be misrepresented
  • it should match its description:
    • for example, if the ad states that there is a valid MOT, there should be a valid MOT.

Last edited:
  www.renparts.co.uk
if i were you i would pay to have the top end rebuilt and you will be given a warranty with the work, the car was quite cheap, your probs looking 500 for the work, and then it should be perfect again. Forget trying to claim for sale of goods act etc, you pretty much have no leg to stand on and the guy who sold it to you isn't going to admit it as there is no way to prove he changed the engine etc if it has been changed.

if i were you i would pay to have the top end rebuilt and you will be given a warranty with the work, the car was quite cheap, your probs looking 500 for the work, and then it should be perfect again. Forget trying to claim for sale of goods act etc, you pretty much have no leg to stand on and the guy who sold it to you isn't going to admit it as there is no way to prove he changed the engine etc if it has been changed.

If he has the original advert in which it states that the car only had 40,000 (or how ever many miles it was) he does have a leg to stand on.

It will be the sellers responsibility to prove that his advert was valid. If its legit then he should just be able to show that things like...

MOT certificates match back to the mileage.
Engine No. matches the V5 etc

I'm not trying to annoy anyone. I'm currently training to be a management accountant and work in a legal & accounting firm so I'm only trying to help.

Last edited:
  BLACK GOLD 182
hahah nice one, i reckon you should even go see the feds to see what can be done with this cowboy! what a knob! but least you have a 182....i still got my shat fez mk6!

Chelsea tractor
Clearly you don't have a clue :S

Wrong.

I've just spoken with my director, a qualified lawyer who works in London and graduated from Oxford so i think he has more knowledge on the subject of law than you.

That's nice. But in reality that means diddly squat. For instance today I was helping to teach one of my supervisors about performance bonds, and he's been qualified for about 6 years. I'm not yet qualified - go figure.

The statutory right of "fitness for purpose" implied in s.14 is only for business sales. Go read on OPSI / LexisNexis if you're that bored.

OPSI said:
14 Implied terms about quality or fitness

(1)Except as provided by this section and section 15 below and subject to any other enactment, there is no implied [F1term] about the quality or fitness for any particular purpose of goods supplied under a contract of sale.
[F2(2)Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality.

Eat sh1t

However in this case hes saying that the mileage doesn't match the advert so that means that section 13 of the sales of goods act can now be enforced which states that the item sold must match the description!

s.13 "Sale by description" applies where the buyer has not seen the goods, and is relying solely on the description.

Who do you work for then?

BLACK GOLD 182
bit too technical for me i would say just go see the "awful person" (wanted to say summet but would get me banned begging with c and ending in t)

FLOL at all the b****cks been copied and pasted, its a private sale, sold as seen. There is no way I proving that the previous guy knew the engine had been changed, and knew it was going to break, the cars out of warranty, cars go wrong, it was also far to cheap, you get what you pay for.
Rather than googling consumer law b****cks just compare the engine number to the V5 and the HPI report next time, theres no point even doing a HPI if you don't compare all the numbers.

m-tec bmw 325 ci spo
just because the engines got paint on dosent mean its been changed when i used to work on the garage some times we would put a dab of yellow or red paint on the nuts that we had done up tight

and if your goin to get a top-end rebuild your looking between 1000-1500 pound been there done that got the t-shirt

If the OP would actually check the numbers and post up in this thread :rolleyes: we could actually know what the situation is, rather than theorising till the cows come home...

A Flamin' Red one
At the end of the day a large majority of cars that are sold privately are sold because there is work that needs doing to them.

www.renparts.co.uk

If he has the original advert in which it states that the car only had 40,000 (or how ever many miles it was) he does have a leg to stand on.

It will be the sellers responsibility to prove that his advert was valid. If its legit then he should just be able to show that things like...

I'm not trying to annoy anyone. I'm currently training to be a management accountant and work in a legal & accounting firm so I'm only trying to help.

www.renparts.co.uk

the mileage only refers the odometer reading and used cars don't have verified mileage, plus how was he ever to know the engine was changed? most people do it without changing it on the v5, buying a car privately unless its stolen there will be no chance at all of getting anything back, besides i don't know what he is complaining about, he has a tapping top end, its not the end of the world.

Civic Si

FLOL!!
Ever heard the expression innocent until proven guilty???
the guy doesn't have to do jack. it's down to you to prove he's lying.
thats like saying in a murder trial the accused has to prove he didnt do it when he reality the prosecution have to prove he did.

but as has been said, sold as seen, the OP has no leg to stand on.
if he wasn't happy with it he shouldnt have bought it. end of.
you may work\now people from a lawform but you clearly know didly squat.

i'm feel sorry for the OP, lesson learnt and all that.

A Flamin' Red one