ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JAMason's Clio 172

Clio 172
I introduced myself in the new members area and have been chatting to a few people. And that's lead me to starting a thread in here for my own records and to bring everything together!

I will keep the introduction brief. I'm Jack, I'm based in Chester and iv come from the 106rr after a brief stint (2 years!) of owning an Audi TT.

my old rallye
IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

I use to run this rallye as a daily drive, before it iv had a couple of Saxo VTS's and a couple of basic 106's as well as another rallye. This will be my second Clio...although my first one was a 1.2 Clio Oasis from 1995!

Now onto the Clio 172! I picked the car up last Friday from a dealer in Nottingham called "Nottingham Auto Point" in Colwick.

Spec and Photos!

103,600 miles
3" Piper Cat back exhaust
Yellow callipers with new pads and discs
Lowered suspension all round (we will come onto this later...)
piperX air filter (I hate it and want a standard airbox!)
Completely standard interior in good condition
6 months tax
12 months MOT

image_zpsfc244bd5.jpg

image_zps65c0cf76.jpg

image_zps1495f667.jpg

I bought the the car to replace my TT as that was becoming a money pit and I wasn't getting anywhere with it. Lovely car, just too much to run! The idea was for the Clio to be a sensible yet fun car and not a project...how wrong was I!?

I have been driving the car for a week now and have assessed it needs new tyres on the front. Toyo T1r's are bloody terrible and I can't understand why people rate them so much. A set of Kumho's will be going on soon. The airbox will want putting back to standard with a new panel filter from K&N or similar and the suspension...that suspension!

On first inspection I though it was just lowering springs...but after talking to Andy at Birchdown it's been confirmed it's home brew cut springs that have been bent to fit. They are only fit for the bin.

F490225C-1EE5-4DC1-B4A2-0E3475E2EF66_zps2wr2vftu.jpg

so tonight I went and met a member from the forum called p@blo and he sorted me out with some new coils from a 182 cup. These should improve the handling no end and give me confidence back in the car! :)

802B112B-53F9-4D46-AEAC-31A416E2B69C_zpsjh5e0nto.jpg

will hopefully get these on this weekend or next! Will 100% be giving the car a full detail and wax tomorrow though! First one I will have given this car so it's getting the full works!

Jack

Attachments

• IMG_1264.jpg
    IMG_1264.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 87
  Clio 172
Glad to see you managed to get some springs sorted! :)

So am I. Massive load off my mind...and my shocks as well to be fair!! Ha. Will hopefully get them on this weekend and then the car will be loads better to drive. These springs are terrible that are fitted!
Jack

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Loving the Rallye Jack, how long had you spent detailing it in those shots?!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Rallye looks great!

You weren't at the RR day at EFI last year/the year before were you with it? I ran a Mk5 ZS there and ran the same power as one :/

Get yourself over to some Chester meets. Ash. does most of the organising up that way and his meets are always a good laugh.

Clio 172
Loving the Rallye Jack, how long had you spent detailing it in those shots?!

The rallye spent most of its life getting a good wash and wax!! That was the first wash so it would have been HOURS I was working on it there.

this was shortly before I sold it...
IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

Gave it a full interior strip (the dash was out at one point to clean behind there as well!) and cleaned everything up fresh! Who knows. Maybe the Clio will get under the skin as much as the rallye did and will get the same attention and cleaning! Going to give it a full hand detail tomorrow, see how that goes. If it needs the DA, I will set some time aside and go over it with one in the future!

Jack

That Rallye looked great, love them so much and rare now, in S1 guise they have that "special" feeling to them IMO.

Clio look's and sounds a good base to start from, already got a decent Exhaust so that's one job done, as standard OE Exhaust systems are expensive and crap, and just having them fresh Spring's will transform it completely.

Looking forward to see how Renaultsport ownership goes for you :)

Clio 172
welshname - No, I have never been to a rolling road event! I sold the rallye back in 2012 and regretted it ever since. The now owner and I are still in contact and he use to take it to shows and events so it might have been him. Where is EFI I can see if it's local to where he lives!? I had this one on the rollers once after the engine was rebuilt and I mad 105.8bhp at the fly. The book figures were 100 at the fly so I was happy with that! It was a lively and very rev happy little engine! I'm sure I will get over to a meet if something gets organised by Ash. Be nice to see a few other Clio sports and get some inspiration!
Jack-C - Thanks. Give it some time and I will see what can be done with the sport. I'm still new to the cars and have no idea what areas need strengthening and work doing. The rallye had the common jobs done pretty quickly after I got it to a good working standard. I imagine that the sport will go through the same process after reading other progress blogs and seeing what improvements there are to be made without ruining the car!
Smiffyboy1990 - they are a brilliant car for raw driving fun. It's the only car iv had that has made me grin like a Cheshire Cat every time I started it up. The group N exhaust would pop and spit small yellow flames pretty much from start up!! Just running to the shops and back was drama and excitement! Haha. B road blasting it was brilliant fun, and so photogenic. To say it was only a 106, it would get people asking you about it because of the PTS stripes down the doors. It's a rare and brilliant little car, very under rated in my eyes, everyone talks about the 205 GTI and there isn't much attention shone on the S1 rallye that carried on the mad "lift off over steer" driving style of the 205 for years after the 205 finish production!
AlexCarter - Hi Alex, it's nice to be remembered from the 106moaners forum! ;) I can't say I Remember what 106 you were in I'm afraid, iv not been on the moaners club for a number of months. There was not much love for the Audi on there and iv learnt the forum has since changed hands and the ban hammer has been out on a few of the old members for "trolling" in their usual way! Seems like some of the fun has been clamped down on and iv had no reason to pop back on there! It's a shame really because it was a funny forum with loads of activity!

Cheers chaps! :)
Jack

AlexCarter - Hi Alex, it's nice to be remembered from the 106moaners forum! ;) I can't say I Remember what 106 you were in I'm afraid, iv not been on the moaners club for a number of months. There was not much love for the Audi on there and iv learnt the forum has since changed hands and the ban hammer has been out on a few of the old members for "trolling" in their usual way! Seems like some of the fun has been clamped down on and iv had no reason to pop back on there! It's a shame really because it was a funny forum with loads of activity!

Cheers chaps! :)
Jack

I must admit I was only mainly active on there about 3-4 years ago when I was 13 and had my 106 field car, then started to turn a diesel 106 into my first car before I got bored and sold it. Don't worry, I'm not hurt that you don't remember me :p

I haven't been on there in probably a good 6 months, the place has been going down hill over the past year, 18 months or so like you say. Such a shame really! Hopefully you have a better time on here!

Clio 172
What do people think to Clio 16v Turbines?! Iv just been offered a set by the chap who bought my rallye! :) they would be white...but I would probably spray them anthracite or silver.

And cheers Fletcher. :)

Jack

There's a few on here that have makes it look dated IMO, much prefer OZ F1's or Turnini's. But it's your car, It wouldn't hurt to use them and sell them again if you wanted to :)

Clio 172
There's a few on here that have makes it look dated IMO, much prefer OZ F1's or Turnini's. But it's your car, It wouldn't hurt to use them and sell them again if you wanted to :)

Im going to leave them. I like the look, I'm a fan of old cars and the retro style works on the Ph2 shape in my opinion, but they need tyres and you couple that with a refurb in a better colour and the price, would be better off just getting mine done and having new tyres fitted!

Today I set about cleaning the car for the first time and getting the paint protected. The previous owner seems to have cared for it as it had been waxed previously...didn't stop him cutting the springs though did it! :/

First stage was strip the wax and protection with some snow foam, investigate if I needed the DA for any swirls. I was pleasantly surprised as the paint was in a good way, the roof needed claying and was the worst part for swirls, and even then they were pretty minimal for a 12 year old car. The rest of the car was ok and doesn't need the DA going over it really, a perfectionist would want it correcting but I can live with some swirls and marks on a daily drive!

Gave the car another clean after claying the roof and arches, towel dried, SRP'd the whole car followed by some chemical guys EZ-cream glaze to really make the car pop! Topped off with some Dodo Juice purple haze (I know it's for dark cars, but it's a bloody fantastic wax and it really makes the paint sparkle!!) tomorrow I will go over it with another coat of purple haze to seal everything in! I'm chuffed with how it all came together!

BAF6FE0B-6E51-44F4-9C96-233034A6C4DD_zpsbr1brksj.jpg

30941B50-8A65-4887-AFC7-2E3DDE51E15D_zpsshnfkumg.jpg

C60B6884-D909-4F96-9B93-0FA803CDA4FE_zpsnxtndpdy.jpg

B1172918-7EA5-4DA8-B130-A6644B25C6D5_zpsdxf4zdsf.jpg

shines!!!

Jack

Clio 172
Productive day. Got the 182 cup springs fitted. The car would benefit from new front shocks and top mounts, the rebound on these has suffered and the bump stops look like they have had better days. Over all though, the car drives better than before. I'm much happier.

Got all the tools out!
75bd6568bcf3735002cf3005794b8345_zps21b21c40.jpg

Rears done first, here they are side by side.
0f81c30bcccca4f4668022516e2a94f7_zps80ac15c2.jpg

Then onto the front.
305d9f88d60b9a4b4a6f85e29f11194d_zpsb1c2ce94.jpg

New springs fitted into the shocks.
30ecc0024f9f3de8d3091b11d53817a7_zps55c0da86.jpg

Back to normal!
5f77913d3cf70449aba508f5e0169681_zps551734dd.jpg

25561286dc235952ef1162fd35a7a6cf_zps9fdbf831.jpg

e9d23cf6e7c7b14209046b6cfd9fea79_zpsf141fb0b.jpg

Another reason to avoid Nottingham auto point... They told me they were replacing the locking wheel bolts as the key was missing... Centre caps off revealed this...
622A4691-C0F7-4FF0-9D1C-C5AC8950E698_zpsptzqnhrz.jpg

missing a bolt on each wheel. I know it's down to me to check these things, but when you buy from a dealer you don't expect these corners to be cut. Lucky for me, my local halfords had a full set of locking nuts that fitted my car! Job done today.
b36bd62216bc9d2e6157dfcdece17c8d_zps237de92e.jpg

car feels better to drive and I'm chuffed with the work. Cheers to @p@blo for the springs and my mate Chris for providing the impact gun to to get everything off the car! :)

Jack

Last edited:
I would be contacting the dealer about the missing locking nuts.

If they said they would replace them they should have done it.

Clio 172
I would be contacting the dealer about the missing locking nuts.

If they said they would replace them they should have done it.

I have actually contacted a solicitor who I am friends with for his advise. I need to double check that I actually have a case to chase them up over this. The sales receipt states "sold as trade" so I think that covered them slightly...or so they think! The fact they sold me the car as roadworthy at the point of sale when it clearly wasn't should go in my favour. All I want is an apology and maybe £36 back for the the wheel nuts and for them to realise how dangerous their actions were!!

Jack

Clio 172
Come up nice that

Good to see you got sorted with springs

Cheers pal. Am I right in thinking you're the guy to talk to about wheel bearings and disks? Could do with all wheel bearings and some rear disks including those little spacer things!

Jack

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
I can certainly help out with brake discs and pads (oem spec and uprated) if you need any Jack. The rear discs I stock/supply come complete with bearings in and abs rings attached so straight fit, the spacer washers , and rear hub nuts aswel- all genuine Renault

Send me a PM if you ever need anything or want to know prices for anything mate

Cheers

172monaco*&*passat
judging by the rallye i bet that clio gets some attention, looks nice,.. used to be on rallye regester myself once over.

Clio 172
judging by the rallye i bet that clio gets some attention, looks nice,.. used to be on rallye regester myself once over.

I would love to give this car the attention the rallye got. Give it time and we will see what happens! :) new wheels would be nice, and some 172 cup dampers...new ARB and some pollybushing...ha. The list begins!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I remember seeing that rallye advertised ages ago, looked lovely. There was a story with it, cant quite remember what it was now? Clio looks good mate :)

Clio 172
I remember seeing that rallye advertised ages ago, looked lovely. There was a story with it, cant quite remember what it was now? Clio looks good mate :)

How long ago are we talking?! The previous owne before me sold it because he needed the money for a more family orientated car instead if his other daily drive. I sold it because I was staring a new job and was doing some stupid mileage every weekend and also wanted something newer but unfortunately couldn't keep both cars so this had to go! :( and the guy I sold it to (Andrew) also needed something that could do more miles so sold it on about a month or so ago.

I sold it after a full head rebuild and bottome end service with lots if new shiny parts! It also sold with a full front suspension kit including pollybushes, top mounts, new bolts...everything to rebuild the front suspension and make it feel fresh and better than new, Andrew then had all that fitted and a new rear beam followed by new tyres on some S2 steel wheels.

unfortunatly the guy he sold it to suffered a water pump failure. He stripped the whole engine thinking it was head gasket! So it's currently getting yet another refresh!

These are the last photos Andrew sent me before he sold it.
B1C577D9-F1AB-4EDD-B47F-BAE3182CC449_zpsfby4axjp.jpg

D6F4A0FC-0594-47A5-837C-1C7789697A5B_zpsujircjsh.jpg

17D086C0-C0F6-498E-A390-7C600B869BF6_zpspbolv7xg.jpg

the rallye seems to be getting more love than the 172 so I will drop a link to the project from my ownership here.
http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/showthread.php?t=78779

Jack

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Glad to see you got the springs fitted Jack, is it feeling a bit comfier now?

Clio 172
Glad to see you got the springs fitted Jack, is it feeling a bit comfier now?

Loads comfier, and handles loads better. It's clear I will need need new top mounts and bearings soon though. The rebound rate of my front shocks is terrible as a result of the cut springs also, so I'm on the lookout for a set of 172 cup shocks as an upgrade from standard. :)

plan to re paint the wheels in antricite as soon as iv got my new tyres. Thinking if getting some Avon ZV5's fitted. An all round good tyre that I use to run on my Audi TT 225, good enough for that car, will be good enough for this one!

Jack

Clio 172
Easiest 20bhp iv ever made. Because we all know stickers make 5bhp each!!

Members pack arrived, as did my Renault f1 team decals.

CD31C02D-2D67-4512-B1D5-154B52F92651_zpswtdkcs4p.jpg

D5670174-FEE7-4BCB-9597-6656633526ED_zpswfhftpqw.jpg

031239D1-5F2B-47C4-BAA2-EE54CE8C0F5C_zpsclw5r6vo.jpg

7F6947B2-A1D3-4337-8627-F565010E5539_zps8qsy7x8y.jpg

01AB84EE-2468-49DF-BC5B-B107025EC9C3_zps2p3ipxo8.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
28C498DF-F829-45F3-B955-E3C62AF16C96_zps3pf5g2id.jpg

[/FONT]

Looking good.

Are your headlights a little hazy?
If they are have a look in the detailing section or YouTube and wet sand and polish them. It makes a huge difference and really freshens up the front end.

Clio 172
Looking good.

Are your headlights a little hazy?
If they are have a look in the detailing section or YouTube and wet sand and polish them. It makes a huge difference and really freshens up the front end.

Cheers. the near side one isn't too bad, it's started to go along the top edge, the off side one has condensation on the inside though... It's properly annoying. I'm just living with it for now though as there are other jobs to get done first. :)

Clio 172
Got home from work today and made a "to do" list for the Clio. The Red parts are urgent and will be see to ASAP, the amber is to be seen to as and when and the green is just things I would like to do but isn't essential!

Tyres
Timing belt kit
Cylinder head seals
Dephaser pulley
Auxiliary drive belt kit
oil filter
5litres elf oil
Top mounts and bearing
Rear brake discs with spacers and bearings

Pipercross panel filter
standard airbox
172 cup dampers
Front wheel bearings
refurbish wheels in dark grey
aux input/iPod connector

that is everything I can think of off the top of my head and from driving it this last couple of weeks. That should tidy it up nicely and make it smarter and more reliable! :) will get the red stuff seen too ASAP. I have already priced up the parts for the belts and tensioners, and I might get the tyres done this weekend for my own piece if mind.
Jack

Clio 172
Went out to change this today...

0adcfb7bee3dabc4ba3ac6da13fde882_zps86d67fff.jpg

was planning to put this on with a standard filter for now...

416271f128ac79e05ce5d0f975a4403d_zpsa63837b8.jpg

Not to much surprise the previous owner has butchered the elbow to fit the hideous piper cross..

0119c128ae847e965a307e84544e0c27_zps19bda5d7.jpg

gave up at this stage. Will get my self a new elbow next month when I order the pioercross. Going to clean the rusty bolts as well, not a fan of those... Saying that, every other clip and bolt is rusted to crap as well... So may not bother.

Jack

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Got back from work early today and the sun was still out so decided to get the road filth, Sahara dust and bird crap off the car.

Filthy 172!
ce047784b0865a1a99598a7bdbb5b1b8_zps7758521b.jpg

2d04aa45ba015ffcad913bfd2abd871f_zpsc6c5c150.jpg

5b67c61f7f9a7c518422d44000d513ad_zpsfcc5600d.jpg

dff68d590e89621ea60e596e71cbdaf0_zpsfd1d36bf.jpg

6ebfbba62049c9d5038e866a82f6bb40_zpsb5d229e0.jpg

I gave the car a blast with the hose to get the poo off and try to lift the dust, then went over it with a microfiber mitten and some auto glym shampoo before hosing it off again. The protection from the last (and first I gave it in my ownership!) detail the car had was still there under all the dirt!! :)

bae2ad641acb7d43c9326a9e25272d64_zps6d9a22ae.jpg

28202df984214fc2f0e27982fe1cafac_zps21637909.jpg

d73155ee2291e161d28fc62d1827e8c2_zps0af8eefb.jpg

On went the wheel cleaner and it was left to dwell while the big blue was left to do its job!

8d3ecfb6d8d45dbc52c61c5f25a79c5f_zpsa5dc7829.jpg

78426050f27caffe9aacc5e14ad9aed4_zps5d39f63e.jpg

Agitated...they were GRIM,

89d3e2238b520f61332cbe3d31d9ecb6_zps0ff68912.jpg

f6b65e26ee9bace35a33bd7792590e41_zpsff36d83b.jpg

After rinsing them all off, I gave all the tyres some mags tyre gel to shine them all up, I also treated all the exterior plastics to give them a fresh look and it didn't really need anything else. The finish from the last detail was still there!

6f08c13100474ac72dc53c88877145d8_zps3c27f7df.jpg

2909ec7705cec2ab553e7c09633f6ad7_zps89396e2b.jpg

8fd0a5b5c7d2dacf636626d06410c287_zpsd975b47b.gif

e53fffd55e8083d75e6e65bb9de4a963_zps3502d79c.jpg

But still, to be on the safe side of things and to keep it all locked in I gave it another coat of Dodo juice wax. I went with the purple haze as it's designed for dark cars and gives lighter cars a more wet look from my experience! Left me with a rather clean car after only an hours work!

c4f0d571ef494c9be90dc836c1a9d94d_zps2509bd89.jpg

4d36990a925df4d7f37ac97ec107fd05_zps4ab18158.jpg

0516d08ffecd8caf32f77dcf93fc01be_zps03f2bcc6.jpg

b68792911eab779dd844f3259e8005ac_zpsc32ff4f3.jpg

Jack

Clio 172
Lovely weekend so I went out in the CS and gave it some of the beans and get some Photos! :) I played around with Light Room and the HDR stuff first...Im not really sure about it...

HDR5_zps32ad7726.jpg

HDR2_zps122cd2a1.jpg

HDR1_zps6f08b94e.jpg

HDR4_zps8c5c2580.jpg

HDR3_zpsab564691.jpg

IMG_0514_dark_light_tonemapped_zps06290d78.jpg

Some of them look a little over processed! Here are a few that weren't HDR'd

IMG_0514_zps64307ea0.jpg

IMG_0533_zpseb083844.jpg

IMG_0544_zps17a5c22e.jpg

IMG_0558_zps7cf106ad.jpg

IMG_0565_zpsee64e713.jpg

I like this one! :)

IMG_0559_dark_light_fused_zps3ec9b859.jpg

Jack

Clio 182 - Mini 1989
Just found this photo on my phone of yours and my two together.
This photo must of been the inspiration for me buying my 182 actually.

13938239318_057de0fa96.jpg

...Got a lovely set of wheels for sale if you fancy ;)