ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JC5 172Cup Gearbox final drive

Just wondering what the final drive is in Diff , 172Cup PH2 2003, is it 4:1 or 4:4 and whats available?

Regards Russ..............

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Think its 4.1 , phase 1 is 3.89 I have a sheet somewhere will post it up.
Agency transmission knows whats available but depends on the bearings in the box.
Only other c/w and pinions are made by gripper.......

Cheers Colin,

4:1 is fine may look 4:4 if available in the future, will give Agency a call nearer the time

Regards Russ......

182cup & 172 racecar
Be careful,there is one type of box that you cannot change the final drive on.Thats why we had to sell our other box,Agency will advise you anyway.

Again Cheers Tony, handy bit of info, will probably stay with the 4:1 as standard, I'm just asking questions early on as this is well down the line, do Agency sell boxes none exchange as I'll be looking at them fitting a Quaife as well, idealy I'm looking at keeping this engine and box as one unit soI can easily put it back to standard.

Regards Russ......

Be careful,there is one type of box that you cannot change the final drive on.Thats why we had to sell our other box,Agency will advise you anyway.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I think the box is the one with a taper bearing , like mine :(

Anyway heres the chart

gearboxratio.jpg

172 Cup
If you want to lower the final drive do you have to go for the gripper lsd and then choose which c/w and pinion ratio you want? I take it the gripper c/w and pinion will only fit onto their plated diff?

If you want to lower the final drive do you have to go for the gripper lsd and then choose which c/w and pinion ratio you want? I take it the gripper c/w and pinion will only fit onto their plated diff?

I think there is another available but it's from an earlier box and not very strong after speaking to Agency, but I went the the Gripper Diff and their CWP route, it has totally changed the car
for what I'm doing with it, 4 seconds a lap at Anglesey along with tyres and suspension, and wet quicker and achieved PB's at every event, just need an engine with more HP and revs, the engine is still stock by the way but running an EC1 and cable throttle with single TB and stock inlet.
This is an old thread lol

Regards Russ......

172 Cup
Think its the route I will be going too Russ. I would preferably have gone for a quaife purely for the fact you can fit and forget but i dont believe they offer a lower final drive.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
For my Ph1 I went Quaife with the 4.07 final drive rather than the 3.89. Gearing is pretty good, just needs ITBs now. Something like a 4.27 would be perfect imo.

Think its the route I will be going too Russ. I would preferably have gone for a quaife purely for the fact you can fit and forget but i dont believe they offer a lower final drive.

If it's your daily then I'd say Quaife, but the Gripper is a different animal tbh, I've based mine on a 3-4 year service plan for the box and diff, I do about 2-3k miles a year and the rest is at Sprints and the odd test and track day. What surprised me was Aintree which is a power venue 2 x 90 bends and a long open bend all more or less flat, I thought I'd be slower there, I went a full 1-1/2 seconds faster but lost 8mph over the finish line, my slowest terminal speed even as a standard car. Just to add I oil change every 6 months on the box.

Regards Russ.....