ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jc5 torque limit?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
As above , messing around at work with dci/dti engines,
we've converted a Clio 1.9dti ( fly by wire mechanical pump) to a fully mechanical cable pump.
now we can fuel a s**t load more and obv put a large turbo (maybe VNT) but what we are worried about is if the jc5 box on it will handle 2x the standard torque or more.

guessing they're good enough as the turbo boys run them without popping them

any specs sheets or data welcomed

thanks

raz

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure of the exact measurement, but much more than this and it's game over..

SIMS03.jpg

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I know the 6speed conversion, but that needs a adaptor plate and special flywheel. Which will all be different to a dti 1.9 block.

Only want ant something that can hold torque ( around 400nm or so) it's a pissabout car , so will see a track at some point

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
I ran a JC5 128 (DCi 80 box) at 341 BHP and about 317LB/FT, no problems what so ever. What killed it was shock loading the box, when cornering and accelerating hard out of a bend as the inside wheel gripped, spun, gripped, spun etc...... it spat the circlip out at first then when I moved to 374 BHP and 340LB/FT it stripped 4th gear completely.

Trophy Turbo :)
the parts in a DCI box are the same according to a Very good box re builder on here. How ever as Steve says he had no issues ( untill he broke it chasing a evo, Steve drove his car properly ) , this may be the fact the gears are longer and it doesn't put as much strain on the parts. I ran a 182 Box for a year with 326Bhp and 319Lbs with track abuse with no issues at all, i think its luck of the draw. :)

Ive fitted four 6 speed 02M Boxes now with great results, but the job isnt cheap :( the NDO box is a lot better but im much prefer to fit a Vag 6 speed.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
my experience with JC5 boxes hasn't been great under boost, mine runs about 270lb/ft and I've been through 13 gearboxes of various guises (laguna, megane, clio, R19) all JC5 and all lasted around 1k miles each

however I put a 172 phase 1 JC5 in around 3 years back now and no issues, well other than its getting noiser and noiser but its done 10 odd track days and several trips to santa pod as well, so been well and truly shock loaded and still going.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I think they're officially rated to something close to 151Nm of torque but that's not overly hard to push past with mediocre engine mods... thankfully the N/A F4R is gutless so its only you boosted fairy's that need worry lol

I think they're officially rated to something close to 151Nm of torque but that's not overly hard to push past with mediocre engine mods... thankfully the N/A F4R is gutless so its only you boosted fairy's that need worry lol

Fuuuuuqqqqqueeeeee!

And don't bring in the fact my 5th gear made a bid for freedom either. That was 100% Luke_Exc's fault. ;)

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Well I'm thinking the head will blow off before the box gives in with max fuel and the boost cranked up to chronic boost levels

it's ment to be a fun track/abuse car so no worries of it going pop on the road

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
What's a boosted f4r produce torque wise?
im thinking I can easy get 400nm out of this 1.9MDTI lump until it starts needing engine strengthening

late 2003 172cup
I am on a rebuilt 182 box with the helical quaffe fitted and higher spec paddle clutch with between 300-400lbft going thru it. Done 3k so far! Lol. Box builders on standby!!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
haha in short, it depends on what day renault built the gearbox in it. if its friday then i give it 1k on max engine torque lol.

circlip will go first irrcc

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
no necessarily, as said I've been through many boxes and not once popped a circlip yet. its gears I find that strip, that's the biggest cause of death

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
nice thick used engine oil is your friend ;)

caution: do not attempt this at home, coops enterprises is not responsible for any damage to your drivetrain,