ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jenic's Cup Project - Another bloody clio!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Another year, another clio.

A friend told me about this yesterday, so I went to view last night and bought it!

Picked it up this evening from a member in Leeds as a non starter, has some decent enough mods (KTEC stealth/KTEC coil overs).

On the truck when I collected it:

a83e8a6a.jpg

Unfortunately we completely destroyed the splitter getting it off the drive and onto the truck (need to lift the suspension, struggled to get it down my drive!) but the splitter was already cracked so will have s trip to skoda some time.

Anyway, my mate had an idea what might be up with it, it cranked over but never started. Got home, charged the battery, had a little fettle and boom, away it went :D

Needs a bit of money spending on it, refurbed wheels, new tyres, rear brakes, MOT, Tax, cambelt and a full service but I got it at a price I'm happy with so don't mind spending a little money on it :)

The trophy is still with me, when this is up and running I'll decide which to keep...

Last edited by a moderator:
  Maybe a 172 Cup..
Was tempted myself by this. Local and seemed a bargain, just a couple of months to early for me. I'll follow with interest. Particularly when you decide which one you're keeping..

340i
Thought you might of brought this ;)

If I hadn't just paid for the Megane insurance I would have snapped it up!!

Total bargain.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, it's the one from Wallis.

It's looking like a TDC sensor issue, put a known dodgy one in and it fired up straight away so I've ordered a new one already.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Oohhh, will be interesting to see which you prefer...That said, this is on cheap coilies and not the cup suspension.

I've already owned a car on KTECs so I'm guessing it will be similar. There is no denying the cups always feel a little faster though so it may be a little different but not a lot I wouldn't have thought. Ultimately the decision will probably come down to money, it makes sense to sell the T and run the cup while I'm at uni.

Got it started another 3 times today, the battery needs replacing, I've checked current draw and it looks to be fine so putting it down to the battery being stood for 8/9 months to it losing charge.

The 2nd time I started it I got the injection warning light (I think, dead centre under the fuel light) and the revs held at 2k rpm and the throttle did nothing. I've been told this is also down to the dodgy TDC sensor?

I've cleaned the throttle body too as it was rank :dead: and replaced a fuse to get the blowers working again.

Were you going to break it though?
No mate was looking for a cheap car to learn some circuits while mine is off the road and then would of probably sold it on! Think once working a car like that is worth more in one piece than in bits :) As you say TDC sounds like it could be the culprit, had one go on mine sounds like a similar problem!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Sorted a few bits on this.

Raised the front suspension, it was all really free moving and easy to do which was a surprise for a car that had been stood a while.

I also fitted a brand new TDC, why renault had to change the connector and have you f**king around with a wiring kit at the back of the engine is beyond me, I'd of happily paid twice the price of the sensor to save that hassle.

I also did the rear brakes, the old disc came off and the bearing had split in 2 and was oozing grease. This didn't look good to me!

3b66fb31.jpg

Anyway, nice and new, thanks to G172 :)

1ad68b25.jpg

MOT is booked in for next Monday, a local mechanic my family use is picking it up for me to save me insuring it too.

Hoping it passes, can't see what it would fail on.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I love this project mike, really really like it. Car looks nice anyway, I'm sure after a machine polish and a few bits tidied up and it will be awesome.

If the light you're on about coming on had a box with a squiggle through it, chances are its the throttle body nackered, common fault these days I've had it a few times, sticky revs, no reaction to the accelerator pedal input etc.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Passed its MOT today :D

I think I've decided to sell it though, the Trophy is a better car, and the extra I'd make keeping the cup simply isn't worth it to me.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Selling both? What's next, Mike?

As soon as one of them sells, I'll likely keep the other. I don't mind which I own, I prefer the Trophy but if it sells for a price I am happy with then the cup will do me fine.

I go to Uni in October, so I need all the money I can get, which was the point of getting the cup in the first place, but I'd rather keep the T than let it go cheap just to pocket a little extra cash.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
As soon as one of them sells, I'll likely keep the other. I don't mind which I own, I prefer the Trophy but if it sells for a price I am happy with then the cup will do me fine.

I go to Uni in October, so I need all the money I can get, which was the point of getting the cup in the first place, but I'd rather keep the T than let it go cheap just to pocket a little extra cash.

Good way of thinking bud. The Cup will sell all day long at that price.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Well the Trophy sold today to a local member, pretty sad to see it go if I'm honest. Been a sad day all round, I left my job, sold the T and Moyles has left :(

Anyway, I insured and tax'd the cup, took it for a spin. Seems a decent little car, the KTEC suspension isn't too crashy, the exhaust has a really nice quiet tone to it and it seems really fast. Faster than any of my other clios, but it may be the 'cup effect' kicking in.

It does need alignment though, my mechanic said it was a bit out, but it's quite a lot out I have found today. Me setting the camber with a spirit level can't of helped :eek:

Another note is the seats are dead uncomfy, give me trendlines back any day, my back is in pieces after being in them. Still, it's only a runabout so i'll live with it.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
was it this cup i saw in newcastle today?

Nope, not left Yorkshire yet.

A tiny update:

I had a little problem with the cup not starting, but since it fixed itself it has been faultless. Had to replace a rear light bulb holder/cluster due to a bad earth which has sorted my indicator problems (rear fog was coming on with the indicator).

But mainly, this car feels so fast, the fastest clio I've driven for sure. I want to get it RR'd, although daren't as the belts need doing. I won't be getting the belts done though, as it would cost nearly as much as the car did, will risk it and if the cambelt snaps I'll break it.

Brakes are really good too, took a few miles to get them working properly again. The last owner said it had DS2500s but I don't think they are, no idea what they are as the writing isn't visible on them.

So yeh, bargain cup project.

As I'm keeping it, costs so far:

Car: £600
Recovery Home: £60
Rear brakes: £60
Wheel: £50
TDC/Service Filters: £30
MOT: £50
Bulb holder: £10
Tax: £250

Sold the spacers that came with it: -£20

Total so far: £1090

It needs an oil change, I have the filter, just need the oil. Is 10w40 better for a high miler?

Hoping apart from oil, it won't need any more spending on it to keep it going until next years MOT.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Best part of £500 with the dephaser which you might aswell do at the same time. I'm really pikey :eek:

I was going to get them done, but a certain ipodsandguns told/persuaded me not to ;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
So save £400 and risk it dying, then going to a LOAD of hassle breaking the car. Go out and find a new car. Insure new car.

Spend £400 and have a nice cheap reliable car to drive.

Yeah, good one.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
It's if something else goes aswell though, say I do the belts, then the gearbox goes. Or the starting problem returns which could be as simple as a bad earth or a faulty UCH from the symptoms I had. It'd be uneconomical to repair it as they are jobs I can't do myself and I'd be breaking it anyway.

It's a bit of a lottery, I've got plenty of time should it need to be broken, although I appreciate I probably don't realise the hassle of breaking a car until I do it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
FLOL!! If you've never done it before, I'll keep quiet. Come back to me once you've done it!

Me and Luke had an hours conversation on it the other day. I refuse to do it now! I'd rather give the money away to charity.