ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jim's Black Ph2 172 (Just like everyone else's!)

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Good, that's what I was leaning towards, but like you said - I wanted to avoid a parts-cannon approach!

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Okay so more as a way of keeping track of things for myself, my plans for the winter rebuild are as follows:

1) Solve exhaust vibration at high revs.

2) Change oil & filter, plugs, leads, fit new cabin filter.

3) Sort out hose routing for power steering cooler, install, mount cooler core & swap fluid for high temp stuff.

4) Figure out if the rad fans are actually functioning. Its never overheated but I don't recall ever hearing them running...

5) Fit the Jon Foz subframe and dropping the steering column.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172

3) Sort out hose routing for power steering cooler, install, mount cooler core & swap fluid for high temp stuff.

4) Figure out if the rad fans are actually functioning. Its never overheated but I don't recall ever hearing them running... They work, thankfully.

The reason I could check, is I borrowed a code reader with a test function, to figure out why the STOP and battery lights came on this morning. Car is doing 12v while running according to the code reader (on a scale of 0-12v) but I'm going to check the alternator with a multimeter tonight. No codes either.
Will throw the battery tester on it when the mechanic at work gets back in.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Should be around high 13s/low 14v with engine running. Alternator dead or wiring issue at a guess, check positive wire ring terminal has not broken off where it connects to the alternator.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Brill thanks will have a look! I remembered it should have been higher than 12v but the scale on the live data readout for the code reader only said 0-12v so I'm hoping its an easy diagnosis.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Battery came back fine on the tester, so threw the multimeter on.
11.7v across terminals, so its goosed. Luckily I can get it rebuilt through a friend of a friend so not a total financial nightmare.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Update 8/1

1) Solve exhaust vibration at high revs. I've used a cable tie to pull the exhaust mount poly bush over to one side, but I suspect it will need further adjustment when I can get it in the air. The exhaust is definitely touching the exhaust mount though. I suspect it'll need slackening off and some jiggling. Or I may just bend the hanger.

4) Figure out if the rad fans are actually functioning. Its never overheated but I don't recall ever hearing them running...

6) Remove, repair, and subsequently refit alternator.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172

That was this weekend's job!

Still get kinda surprised when I remember I own a house. A work in progress, but got a shot of the other work in progress at the same time!

IMG_2764.JPEG

Bumper off!

IMG_2769.JPEG

Closeup of my tumble dryer hose bespoke self designed brake ducts

IMG_2768.JPEG

IMG_2771.JPEG

God bless whoever found out this jubilee clip trick for the tensioner (I was halfway through getting the belt off, don't worry!)

IMG_2777.JPEG

Pretty tricky getting it out of the engine bay actually, must have rotated it around every direction. However it finally emerged, like a dirty metal egg.

IMG_2778.JPEG

Now its off to get rebuilt and should be back by the end of the week.

Car looks in a bit of a sorry state!

IMG_2792.JPEG

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
As mentioned previously, I've tried a few times to polish my headlights with no joy. There's this cloudiness that you can feel from the outside. Is it inside the lens or do I just need to polish more? The lenses are pretty smooth...

IMG_2793.JPEG

IMG_2794.JPEG

martynrg

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
It’s on the outside. I’ve used the Meguiars headlight restoration kit on my lights and works well, finished off with some UV sealant.

It’s almost an annual job though, but it is rewarding

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Was that by hand or with a machine? I've tried by hand with sandpaper, the Turtle Wax restoration kit and also using a drill with a flexipad and sanding discs.

martynrg

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Sounds like a similar sort of thing. The Megs kit comes with small pads of different graded wet and dry that you use by hand and also a woolly buffing pad you use with a drill along with the supplied PlastRx (I think it’s called) to polish them up.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Update 8/2

Mocked up the cooler, I've since made some ridiculous billet blocks to act as brackets, because why not?!

IMG_2928.jpg

I've also been buying bits, so along with the 8AN fittings, Aeroquip hose etc, I've also ordered a set of Grams springs, and a Volantech cruise control steering wheel mounted panel. Tempted with that PMS rear ARB in the classifieds at the minute, but want to do one thing at once really.

B95CD6A0-2E1B-4528-8DFC-47710D6183D1.JPG

As well as that, my birthday coincided with realising I needed to buy some tools that me and my Dad had been sharing whilst we shared a garage.

Any excuse (Wera fanboy)

6026B961-E428-4C3A-9538-E0CE2E91DE30.JPG

Always fancied a battery ratchet so looking forward to breaking plenty of bolts with this!

IMG_3018.jpg

Think it passed inspection :LOL:

So to make it a neater list:

Maintenance/Mechanical bits
1) Change oil & filter, plugs, leads, fit new cabin filter
2) Plumb in powersteering cooler, refill & bleed system.
3) Fit lowering springs
4) Fit Jon Foz seat subframe

Cosmetic/Fiddly bits
1) Fit gearbox driptray
2) Drop steering column
3) Fit Volantech cruise panel
4) Fit sunstrip
5) Decide if sunstrip looks w**k or not
6) Replace brake duct hose

I mainly made this post to ask a question, but thought I'd give you something to read so its a bit give & take!
Question: I'm running cup shocks with PMS solid topmounts & strut brace. I have a terrible memory, and can't for the life of me remember if I can take the complete strut off the car in one piece, or if I need to get the spring compressors on to remove the tension, and then take the shock out without the topmount. Which is correct??

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Update for the 2 people that read this!

Maintenance/Mechanical bits
1) Change oil & filter, plugs, leads, fit new cabin filter
2) Plumb in powersteering cooler, refill & bleed system.
3a) Fit rear lowering springs

3b) Fit front lowering springs
4) Fit Jon Foz seat subframe

Cosmetic/Fiddly bits
1) Fit gearbox driptray
2) Drop steering column
3) Fit Volantech cruise panel
4) Fit sunstrip
5) Decide if sunstrip looks w**k or not
6) Replace brake duct hose

This is a bit of an anthology of the last few weeks when I remember to take photos.

First off, I had a proper go at polishing the headlights. They came up great. Not sure why I never got results like this before. I used a drill and a velcro foam backing pad, and 2" discs from 800grit up to 3000grit, the finished off with Mothers polish.

I've got some UV proof lacquer to finish them off too, but I bought some cutting compound (for another job on the daily driver) so fancy having another bash.

IMG_3538.JPEG

IMG_3537.JPEG

Next job was to sort out the powersteering cooler. Whilst the L brackets I used for the test fit/mock up, look a bit neater, I wanted to totally over engineer these mounts and have no chance of failure. It was enough of a pain getting the PAS pump changed etc that if something happened and I lost fluid and killed another pump I'd be furious :lol: so better safe than sorry! Made some mounts out of ally bar drilled and tapped.

I cut the PAS return to reservoir pipe just before the hardpipe section, and used some spare hose to catch the spillage drain it off.

IMG_3725.JPEG

I've used -8 Aeroquip hose, and push on fittings. That said, due to power steering issues being the bane of my life on track (cut short two trackdays) I've used jubilee clips as well. Most likely totally redundant, but like with the brackets, if something goes wrong I can rule out underengineering!

I've used a reducer on the pump return to the -8 cooler feed line, -8 right angle to -8 screw fitting to cooler core, then the reverse of that feeding to the other side of the return hardpipe up to the reservoir.

IMG_3727.JPEG

I've cable tied this to the fan shroud to avoid any fouling against the sensor plug/wiring.

Also, these fittings are a right b*****d to get into the hose. Saw a good tip on YouTube - soak the end of the hose in pan of boiling water.

IMG_3728.JPEG
IMG_3729.JPEG
IMG_3730.JPEG
IMG_3734.JPEG
IMG_3731.JPEG

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Re-assembled and not looking like a scrapper for the first time in weeks!

IMG_3738.JPEG
IMG_3739.JPEG

A few days after that I decided to make a start fitting the new springs. Due to the way my brain works, my thought process goes:
'Should I start fitting the new springs?' -> 'Can I finish it today?' -> 'If no, don't bother'
But then I realise I've been doing that since February.
After remembering how simple the rears would be, I made a start last weekend.

Despite a generous application of WD40 a day prior, these were quite tight! I've finally ordered an impact wrench but its not due in till next week.

IMG_3792.JPEG

IMG_3794.JPEG

IMG_3796.JPEG

Looks like I need to add "brush the rear beam and apply some rust converter" to my to-do list!

IMG_3797.JPEG

Whoever mentioned on an older post that the springs drop out with a rather satisfying clang is 100% correct!

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I shouldn't love this colour as much as I do, but its almost a shame to hide them away!

IMG_3801.JPEG

IMG_3802.JPEG

I made sure this was properly seated after taking the pic.

IMG_3804.JPEG

Lowered the car off the stands and trolley jack and was a bit surprised at how high it sat.

IMG_3806.JPEG

Then I removed the handbrake and rolled it a few inches and it all got a bit more sensible.

I then looked up and noticed I had a hidden supervisor:

IMG_3805.JPEG

I also fitting a new slam panel/bonnet seal as the old one had split and was winding me up.

IMG_3807.JPEG

IMG_3808.JPEG

Hopefully tackling the front springs this weekend!

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
One thing I did decide on, was that despite having some NASA spec heat proof sleeve for the aeroquip hose, I left it off as I could only see it being an absolute massive pain in the dick to slide on, and I hoped the cooler would reduce temps enough. Only time will tell!