ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JMS 182 Racecar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 3 years of road car use my own 182 is finally going to be taken off the road and be converted into a fully fledged Blue Book standard race car, it will then be entered into some amateur championships for my first taste of competitive driving.

I'll be back at Brunel Unversity in a years time to complete a masters in Motorsport Engineering, but before then I want to get stuck into some motorsport in a similar style to old Jay & Tony with Burpspeed.

Now I know buying a cup racer does all the work for you blah blah blah, but it isn't half the fun & the knowledge gained doing the conversion yourself!

The first step was to secure a daily driver/tow car & trailer. Along came the Volvo:

France%20Skiing_41.jpg

After 3 years of driving the clio day to day & with over 35k a year covered the V is a lovely daily driver, can cram it with rubbish & people and it still pulls like a train, heated seats, 50mpg etc etc.

Still on the look out for a BA clubman trailer, will hopefully pick one up in the next couple of weeks, something like this will do the trick:

IMG_1727.gif

Right onto the car:

DSC_1892.jpg

It began life as a ff 182, the road spec was effectively a mild braking setup, RS2 Manifold & AST coilovers valved to suit track orientated spring setup. A couple of Bimarco Seats and that was about it.

FCS1017of74.jpg

Moving on I've drawn up and bought the rough spec list for the build;

Chassis:
- ASTs (rebuilt by AST to race spec) - AST Top Mounts
- Rolling chassis setup inc. the use of spacers/camber shims etc.
- Standard Calipers CL RC6 Pads
- Internal brake lines with balance adjustment.
- Poly bushes (wishbones etc) & a bearing kit for the rear beam instead of the standard rear bushes.
- 2118s & A048 tyres.

Interior
- Full caged rollcage
- FIA Expert Seat
- FIA 6 point OMP harness
- Sabelt Steering Wheel.
- Reworked loom with switch/control box for all auxiliary controls. Drycell battery.
- Plumbed in extinguisher system.

Engine
- RS2 Manifold
- Headlight blanks with direct feed to filter on the RS2.
- PMS Aircon Removal Kit
- Miniature cooling fan kit.
- BTB 182 Exhaust & Competition CAT.

Extra project work includes:
- relocating the heater matrix with a miniature barrel fan to demist the front screen.
- relocate the gearstick aprox 50mm further toward the rear of the car to allow the seat / steering to sit in an ideal location.

The first shakedown for the car is on Saturday 27th November @ Brands, so lots to do! I'll wack the updates in here as it develops.

Last edited:
Either or; the engine will still be used for our ongoing development on the Xtra.

It already has aerocatches etc.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
So this is what you've been busy doing ;)

Looking forward to seeing the progress, I can see mine taking a similar route over time.

Lotus Elise
hehehe i look forward to reading this one. My aim is to build a 182 race car for use in tin tops or something similar but my dealine is 2012. may even see you on track some time.

Yeah, it will be happening quite quickly as all the parts are in stock etc, I just need to use the evenings to build it! :)

Black 172 PH2
Good luck with it.
Your 182 was looking a little sorry for itself when i saw it lol.
Like the Volvo ;)

Ollie's Silver Cup
Sounds good!

Looking forward to seeing updates in here :)

Will it be the normal RS2 you'll be using? Or, the longer runner version?

I've chosen it over an offer from Cranfield, they are both very similar in the rankings etc, both run the formula student etc.

I studied Ind Design & Engineering at Brunel and still use all of the facilities there for various work - so it make sense to stay :)

Sounds good!

Looking forward to seeing updates in here :)

Will it be the normal RS2 you'll be using? Or, the longer runner version?

Undecided at the moment, the RS2 is more rev happy; however we have not finished the RS2 xtra development yet...

Lotus Elise
Undecided at the moment, the RS2 is more rev happy; however we have not finished the RS2 xtra development yet..

If you are racing in a championship that is done on power/weight than got for the one that produces the most torque as it will be the torque that gives you the advantage.

If you are racing in a championship that is done on power/weight than got for the one that produces the most torque as it will be the torque that gives you the advantage.

The kits have two very different deliveries, namely the RS2 stock prolongs the torque high into the RPM band, were as the RS2 Xtra tends to drop off earlier - we'll see :)

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
sounds promising guys good luck with everything. Who's the air con removal kit from ?, just a 172 cup alternator and belt? wanting to take mine out as iv never used it and the alternators packing up.

We stock the Pure Motorsport Kits as of last week. It implements the original alternator, a 4pk belt and a set of lovely lightened pulleys.

I'll stick the pics up next week once it's fitted!

See you point Fred, however it's on a 102k so worth peanuts.

I know the engine & car in terms of reliability / service history and know it's a strong engine.

+ I'm attached to it :eek:

Lionel Richie
keep an eye out though, there's some going for daft money (ie £250!) i've got a spare shell knocking about if you need one

Yeah I know, Mike picks up Ph1 cambelt failures from the North West on a weekly basis for about £250.00 a pop!

Oh dear, and your going to race it? Did you not see what happened to me at the weekend?

Attached in a different sort of way, it's already got a 6 inch gash to the paint on the passengers door were my missus dropped a ladder against it. Polishing, washing etc - pfftt.

Status
Not open for further replies.