ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just a bit of advice please on Mk1 172's

Just joined the site and i went to look at Mk1 172 today...just wanted to know if they have any common faults/reliability issues ie are they a bit fragile or do they break alot like a 106gti i had once....
sad_smile.gif

the guy said the only thing wrong was the airbag light was on but thats due to the wire on the seatbelt pre tensioners coming loose,under the seat he said that all thats give bother in 2 years of owning it...

the rev needle sat at 500 revs which i thought a bit odd and the engine seemed to hunt slightly and was also rocking very slightly when i had the bonnet open, the owner reckoned it was the induction kit and magnex

any comments on this welcome as i want to be sure about the car before i put any money on it

cheers mateys
thumbs_up.gif

burt

500rpm is a bit low 850 is the supposide normal but it its idling at 500rpm you'd know as it wouldn't sound right.

Not much obviously wrong the engine are good gearbox and clutches can be week engine mounts can be week and need doing but there cheap. wiring well its French so enough said but there not bad.
The phase 1 in mine and other opinion is the best 172/182 out there.

Lots of Alfas
The seller was probably right about the airbag light a little play under the seats cures this, make sure its got a service history and a cambelt change around 60-72k. Its normal for the idle to be lumpy but mine doesnt idle that low.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
500rpm is a bit low 850 is the supposide normal but it its idling at 500rpm you'd know as it wouldn't sound right.

Not much obviously wrong the engine are good gearbox and clutches can be week engine mounts can be week and need doing but there cheap. wiring well its French so enough said but there not bad.
The phase 1 in mine and other opinion is the best 172/182 out there.

^^^^^ Yep MK1 all the way

yeah i thought if it idled at 500 revs it would be near cutting out,it seemed to idle ok sound wise just the rev counter gave a differnt storey.....

can they suffer from idle issues and dodgy electrics?

i owned a 106gti for a while it was a nightmare....2nd gear synchro went in it, it broke a driveshaft, blew the headgasket and used to cut out on me and also revved by itself! it was a mad car

i was hoping the 172's didnt have the same french characteristics as a pug :nono:

its a year 2000 with 52k on it and a full service history from a main dealership in Belfast

one other thing, the car has only done about 3000 miles in the last 2 years and just passed mot and given an oil change but there was a we bit of white under the oil cap not like very noticeable though, my mate reckons this is normal on a car if it hasnt been driven in a while they can get a bit of condensation on the cap

Cheers
Burt

Vectra :(
Hi mate

My 172 idles at 700ish so 500 seems a little on the low side if that helps.

Mk1 172's are the way forward tho ;)

no way dude, your winding me up are'nt you??;)
are they that bad?:dead:

Cheers Lam7r i'll have to inspect this idle issue a bit more...would you worry about the oil cap?

Burt

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
make sure the cam belt has been done if it's been stood pretty much for 2 years (3k is nothing :p). Needs doing between 5 years or 72, although earlier is recommended.

Otherwise a few common problems, window regulators like to go on them, cheap tyres, rear discs can be relatively pricey as they have the bearing already pressed in.

And whilst for a "performance" car they aren't that expensive to run, they aren't exactly cheap either. Hate to think what I've spent on mine in 2 years :/

2 minor services
1 major with belt change
new springs
new shocks (front leaking but changed them all)
Passenger window regulator
4 tyres
New discs and pads all round
Exhaust as renault one fell off
Cam Tensioner

But 36mpg average isn't bad, and I still love it :) (well until I can get a Focus RS :p)

Personally I'd probably avoid that one, or at least take someone along to give it a thorough going over, white stuff inder the cap isn't good, esp as it's been sat for a while/rarely used.

Last edited:
They are not the smoothest of engines at idle. My old one which was a really good strong engine would sit at idle and judder the car a bit.

Make sure the belts have been replaced on them (both cambelt and auxillary belt), check the alarm works, lights can come on the dash when turning a corner (this is usually low brake fluid), abs light is connections under passenger seat, sometimes the red petrol light can come on even with 1/4-1/2 a tank of fuel...go by the needle but the red light usually goes off after a bit.

yeah i think ill get a mechanic to come with me and give this a good goin over.....

i appreciate all your replies im a bit fussy when it comes to 2nd hand motors as ive been done over before plus ive had the relaibilty of a vti civic for the last year, but time for a change i think and some torque!:approve:

burt

went to look at another one last night 2000 phase 1 172 with only 28k and in immaculate condition, hasnt been driven in ages and when started it went first time but once it had warmed up again the revs went back to showing just over 500rpm on the rev counter and it idled lumpy and hunting lots...this is relaly puttin me off im hearing they are s**t for reliability, electrics, gearboxes etc.....looks like im gonna have to change my mind and leave a 172 altogether

audi a6 3.0tdi
I've got a 2001 mine idles just above 500rpm and feels a little lumpy not had a problem yet though. mines on 46k.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Don't be a fairy. My ph1 172 has been the best car (both reliability and performance) ive ever owned. and i've owned at least 17/18 cars.

Once you own it, you'll wonder what you've been doing piss assing about with other cars.

Golf R/Leon FR
agree with dan ive had mine for nearly 2 years now not had a single problem with it, as long as it is serviced correctly and looked after you shouldnt have a problem with them.

mine is on 71k now and still drives sweet :)
best car ive had imo

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
never had a problem with mine, they all are abit rough on idle, they lean out for emmisions apparently. Trust me, take one for a good b road thrash and you'll love it. I'm going to get another when mine is tired.
Mine is currentky on 63k and loves it!!!! Nissed a beat

Megane R26
went to look at another one last night 2000 phase 1 172 with only 28k and in immaculate condition, hasnt been driven in ages and when started it went first time but once it had warmed up again the revs went back to showing just over 500rpm on the rev counter and it idled lumpy and hunting lots...this is relaly puttin me off im hearing they are s**t for reliability, electrics, gearboxes etc.....looks like im gonna have to change my mind and leave a 172 altogether

No way mate, ask alot of 172 owners. Ph1 great car. Just make sure it is serviced and looked after like any car, and will always put a smile on your face :)

Lionel Richie
are you reading the rev counter correctly??? the mark below 1Krpm is 750, it should sit bang on that when warm

i doubt it would idle at 500rpm

Burt, the engine hunts at idle, it's normal.

Don't shy away from these things (MK1's that is) find a good one, use the forum and you'll find yourself in an extraordinarily quick little car, brim full of character, bags of fun and not at all bad reliability wise. The engines are bullet proof and any issues are usually quite minor and easily/cheaply sorted.

I sold a Golf GTI to buy mine and it's vastly better than the VW.

This is my 6th car this year (MX5, GT Citroen, Golf GTI, Cooper S and twin turbo Legacy) and this is the only one I want to keep.

Have faith.

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
Yeah, it's quite normal for engine to be lumpy under idle, nothing to be worried about. The engine itself is very good, it just all the bits around it that are potentially dangerous. But service it on time and nothing should go wrong.

Also, when not exposed to continous exesive abuse, the gearbox will do a 100k no problem, just make sure to change the transsmission oil when you get the car.

Also, other things that may seem off are the whining power steering pump and the famous 4k rattle. But don't worry, just give it some beans and turn up the radio a notch and you won't notice a thing. ;)

Cheers for the replies lads esp the one telling me not to be a fairy lol the car is immaculate in every other way even the front brake disks and calipers are like brand new, has a brand new exhaust aswell...that would be coming off though:evil:
i had a 106gti before and it used to idle like s**t, then it would cut out on me without warning which was dodgy as f**k also used to rev by itself??

think it had a dodgy stepper motor, well thats what i was told....when i heard the 172 idling i thought id end up with the same problems

are the phase ones a better motor all round?

thanks

burt

No issues apart from the obvious wear and tear.
Cambelt replaced nice and early, only judders when on cheap fuel.
If you can keep the revs up around 4.5-5k you'll brim with excitement :)
I've have the airbag service light illuminated for nearly 2 years now lol

The build quality is slighty better than the proceeding 172 I'd say.

Horses for courses

Get a black one - clearly the fastest ;)