ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just bought a trophy! do i space it out???? after performance not looks!

le 205 GTI le trophy
Hi

Just bought a trophy got to say im very impressed but i feel there is more to come! I have ordered sportline springs and polyflex engine mounts but dont know if neg camber bolts and hubcentric spacers are worth a go???? does anyone have any experience of a spaced out trophy on the road by any chance????? i realise this is a bit of a long shot lol

SG9 Forester STi
Hi

Just bought a trophy got to say im very impressed but i feel there is more to come! I have ordered sportline springs and polyflex engine mounts but dont know if neg camber bolts and hubcentric spacers are worth a go???? does anyone have any experience of a spaced out trophy on the road by any chance????? i realise this is a bit of a long shot lol

Welcome to Cliosport Pidge!

Personally I wouldn't change anything as far as suspension goes on the Trophy (but that's just me). Definitely don't get spacers. If you're after performance then spacers shouldn't be on your list :).

Enjoy the car and the site!

I wouldn't get spacers - the wheel offset is different on Trophys anyway. I also wouldn't be touching the suspension! The only thing I would add is a Whiteline rear anti-roll bar. Heard nothing but good things about them.

le 205 GTI le trophy
Cheeers Lads also sorry about the s**t username was stuck for ideas!!!! spacers are off the cards then I guess lol will look into that ARB though! no-one have any opinions on running neg camber???? and if so how much????

Lotus Elise
Camber bolts and some decent geo setting really compliment a Trophy. Where are you based? Whiteline rear antiroll bar is the icing on the cake to be honest.

If you become a full member you will be able to see the traders section which is very helpful.

le 205 GTI le trophy
oh right, how do i become a full member???? its probably been covered loads of times but i am a spastic with computers lol Im in Bristol! I would imagine a bolt is a bolt but is there any particular camber bolts i should go for? I think i might buy that ARB tonight to be honest! going to have a busy day at the garage with sportlines, sachs dampers, ARB and camber bolts needing to be fitted!

Lotus Elise
Get the proper Eibach camber bolts and torque them up properly, adding camber adds toe in so that needs to be adjusted after the bolts have been fitted. BTM Performance sell Whiteline RARBS.

le 205 GTI le trophy
Thought i just replied but it doesnt seem to have gone through so apoligies if it comes up twice! Am i right in saying i should get the car set up on a hunter 4 wheel alignment system when all the mods have been to done??? Im looking to use the car for fast road use and maybe the occasional track day so maybe 1 or 1.5 degrees neg camber and a medium setting on the ARB??? what do you guys think?? also would you bother running neg camber on the back?

Lotus Elise
Id advise fitting the springs and then ARB wait a week for them to settle a little then go for Bolts and alignment, -1.5 camber and 0 toe or 0.5degree of toe out. Cheers Wayne thought I might as well shoe horn it in, keeps the boss happy ;)

Feel free to have a chat with Fred or myself on 07769712624 :)

le 205 GTI le trophy
Cheeeers will put your suggestions into action over the next week or two and elt you know how i got on!...also is there any demand for a brand new exalto tyre????? I have one part worn and one brand spankers tyre free with the car but dont know what to do with them (thinkng of binning the part worn)

182cup & 172 racecar
Id advise fitting the springs and then ARB wait a week for them to settle a little then go for Bolts and alignment, -1.5 camber and 0 toe or 0.5degree of toe out. Cheers Wayne thought I might as well shoe horn it in, keeps the boss happy ;)

Feel free to have a chat with Fred or myself on 07769712624 :)

Thats the same I advised him on.

le 205 GTI le trophy
I run -2.5 because I am a bad man.

Tony you are so wise.

because i am a bad man hahaha

went out for a spin last night, went to turn it in on the brakes and sparks started flying past the off side window! think it could be time for new pads!!! just ordered mintex 1144 pads for the front and ate superblue fluid!

The car is in the spray shop at the moment getting the paint work sorted out then on the weekend i have to

get the old eibach springs off the sachs shocks and see if they are knackered - if not then fit the new sportlines

fit the polybushes into the dog bone mount

fit the new pads and bleed the brakes

fit the ARB

and sort out a head unit and set of speakers

going to be a busy weekend i think!!!!

le 205 GTI le trophy
Of course!!!!! picked up the car on friday and including an increased insurance premium of £500 I have spent £1500 on it....looks like im eating 12p noodles for the rest of my life

Audi A5
Sounds good mate. One thing you may want to consider is mark fish springs as they are rated quite highly by some of the trophy boys and it will give you a little drop as well which is always nice.

le 205 GTI le trophy
i ahve no idea how to join but i will have a go at doing it later on when i get home! i have already bought the sportline springs, from what i can see thye are a bit cheaper than mark fish items so probably would of had to settle for sportlines anyway! Just realised a slight creaking/knocking noise coing from the suspension on full lock....CV joints possibly???? starting to regret buying that whiteline Anit roll bar now i've realised so much other stuff needs doing!

le 205 GTI le trophy
just became a member! my card is literally smoking from the abuse its been getting over the last 5 days

A ANIMAL
Hi Pidge!

CBA to read the whole welcome but i used to own #225. Suspension wise a small drop is worth it but you'll want the dampers refurbed 1st. Have read about the re-furb's at all? if you want soem suspension advise just have a look here or over on cliotrophy.co.uk and search for the Mark Fish set-up.

Any advise just ask, i know the bloodythigns inside out!!

le 205 GTI le trophy
cheers for that! will see if the dampers need a refurb when i have taken the old springs off, fingers crossed they don't as i am running out of cash fast.....

A ANIMAL
Lol - yeah its not a cheap job either!! i wouldn't worry too much. Theres a lot of scare storys out there but mine were on 60ish k when i sold it and were just fine, just keep an eyeon it, and just bare in mind they will need doing to keep them at their best. BG Motorsport in Silverstone are the ones for that jon when it comes round.

le 205 GTI le trophy
the bloke i bought the trophy off had cup suspension on it when i picked it up, he said he took the sachs off to have them refurbed because there was a knocking noise but the knocking noise turned out to be a bottom ball joint, he says he preffered the ride of the cup suspension so left them on the car (seems a bit of a suspect story to me) the car is on 100k now so figured it makes sense to refurb them anyway while they are off the car! the guy has a 400hp audi rs2 and a modded porsche boxster, the trophy has a full renault/porsche service history so he doesnt seem like the bloke to skimp out on a refurb though!!!! what to do?????

Audi A5
Lol - yeah its not a cheap job either!! i wouldn't worry too much. Theres a lot of scare storys out there but mine were on 60ish k when i sold it and were just fine, just keep an eyeon it, and just bare in mind they will need doing to keep them at their best. BG Motorsport in Silverstone are the ones for that jon when it comes round.

if you were to buy a trophy how would you know if the damper's need refurbing? would it be a case of checking for leaks or ride quality? if the later what kind of symptoms would you look out for i.e soft ride, knocking...

le 205 GTI le trophy
push down on the front corner then let go, the car should go down, back up then stay level. if it bounces the shock needs refurbing! do this on both front corners.....a rebuild isnt the end of the world but it will cost £430 from BG motorsport

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
push down on the front corner then let go, the car should go down, back up then stay level.

Well no actually, when you push down on the corner it should be practically solid, a slightly better way is to open the door and push up. If it then behaves like a jelly get the wallet out.