ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just driven a Cup with Eibachs!

Im not sure what the fuss is about with the Eibachs, in normal driving it seems fine but throw in a challenging road and the damping is confused and slow to react once things get moving. This led to the car bouncing on a particular road..

I told my mate this, obviously he wasnt too happy to hear my opinion. I said hed be better of putting the OEs back on and getting better dampers. Who does these?

Thanks,

-Rob

Rob, the proline springs make a difference, the spoortline springs make a big difference, I did the dampers as well, and the handling fundamentally changed.

/y0z

Ok, how old are the dampers?

Have you driven one standard?

Are you expecting them to be as good as coilovers?

The car is 2 years old.. yes i have driven the same car, and on the same road..otherwise it wouldnt be much point comparing.

As good as coilovers. What do you mean Pete? Coilovers arent a magic word..they are just different springs and dampers.

The car felt tighter at normal speeds, going around a roundabout and what have you..but failed to impress on worse roads and at higher speeds.

Anyway, i asked a question...anyone care to answer, Yoz, what did you have?

-Rob

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

I have been it petes car and have to say they glue the car to the road like nothing i have ever been in, the speeds he was carrying through corners etc was awsome!

Quote: Originally posted by Little Newms on 13 December 2004

I have been it petes car and have to say they glue the car to the road like nothing i have ever been in, the speeds he was carrying through corners etc was awsome!
Fair play, i noticed that too but i felt the damping/ride went to pot on some roads.

-Rob

Ive no idea...not really a conversation topic is it..lol. He has standard tyres and wheels so you would presume the recommended pressures.

Nippy white cup

My sportlines did pretty well on Sat. Although the back wheel doesnt lift as easily now. Much more stable imo. If you really want to see the difference try going round a long sweeping bend with std springs, it tends to twitch all over the place. Now it stays very stable

Chris

I run Eibach Pros on my Cup. Big improvement, car sits flatter and flows as opposed to becing twitchy at the limit on standard springs.

Weeman sucks ****

Ive had Eibachs pros, APEX and now H&Rs on mine and theyre all different.

Eibachs are nice and progressive, soak up the small bumps and reduce body roll so much more than the standard ones through the corners.

APEX feel similar through the corners with reduced body roll but not as much as the Eibachs but hit a small bump and your rattles know about it!

And H&Rs, not much to say about them...theyre ok:p

IMO as always.

eibach pros transformed my driving of the cup, dont know if it handles better but it gives me more confidence to throw it in the bends!

I would agree about the ride rob, but as ever lowering a car can improve the cornering at the expense of rise quality!

I had Eibachs prokit on my standard MKII 172, definite improvement, nothing wrong with the damping or bouncing. Low speed ride was a bit harsher, but a worthwhile compromise as at higher speeds the car felt more planted on the road, had less body roll, increased grip on the majority of the roads Id driven on. There are in fact 2 versions of the prokit (different part numbers), one for the petrol upto 1.6 engine size and one for diesels as the engine is heavier. There wasnt one specifically for the 172. I had the diesel version as the engine weight between the diesel and 172 are very similar.

Not a Clio anymore.....

Ive got full eibach suspension on my 1.6, shox and springs and the handling is unbelievably good. Major difference from just having the springs.

R

rich[182]

Are the Eibachs black and offer less noticeable ride height drop ? ie less obvious to renault dealer than Apex (which Ive been told are yellow !)

130i, 306 hdi, vrs

Im thinking of getting the pro kit for my 172 , just wondered if anyone has any pics please.

I presume the H&Rs arent progressive? I think it all depends on how you drive. No one can make a genuine arguement on pure driving terms for the Eibachs as how can a progressive rate ever be matched to a damper? You cant.

Anyway, so does anyone do shocks, my question has fell on deaf ears?!

Also, anyone got spring rates for the Eibachs (and any alternatives)?

Cheers,

-Rob

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 13 December 2004
The car is 2 years old.. yes i have driven the same car, and on the same road..otherwise it wouldnt be much point comparing.As good as coilovers. What do you mean Pete? Coilovers arent a magic word..they are just different springs and dampers.The car felt tighter at normal speeds, going around a roundabout and what have you..but failed to impress on worse roads and at higher speeds.Anyway, i asked a question...anyone care to answer, Yoz, what did you have?-Rob

I had sportline (and persuaded chris n nic to get them too) and the car did really change when he put them onto the standard car. Roamers proline kit made a big difference to his.

Maybe the dampers were worn out?

/y0z

ive raced with eibachs bilstiens cusco and proflex eibachs are a great spring so much so ive still got them on our rally car but esssentially the damping needs to be correct springs are good but useless alone. have you thought of asking leda etc to make some custom dampers it sounds like your after sumthing serious from this car. obviously progressive springs will dramaticly change ride quality aswell are these mated to std worn or old oe items ?

Im trying to help him buy decent VFM money mods, coil overs are the hot topic of late but i dont think it would be too hard to match them with a few phone calls to other companies..

Leda is a good, convienient company but i think Bilstein are better..comparing their top of the range stuff the Ledas need rebuilding well before, and yet are normally just as expensive.

The car will be used on some trackdays but nothing more serious than that, what dampers are you using bondy? I have looked at k-tecs and noticed Eiback have dampers to go with the springs, so it looks like the one to go for..though theyre nothing special.

-Rob

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 13 December 2004

Are the Eibachs black and offer less noticeable ride height drop ? ie less obvious to renault dealer than Apex (which Ive been told are yellow !)
Yes they are black and ride height on mine fell about 10-15mm when actually the springs said -30mm on the box

Weeman sucks ****

Pros WONT drop a cup! Unless theyve released new ones.

And my H&Rs are progressive at the back, the coils tighten on the spring. The fronts have 2 sets of springs on each shock.

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 13 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 13 December 2004

Yes they are black and ride height on mine fell about 10-15mm when actually the springs said -30mm on the box
Its -30 on a non 172 model.

Ive bought my 182 with cup suspension pack, after reading extensive reviews of how there are faster cars but the clio goes round corners so well, and assuming that cliosport spent a lot of money perfecting the handling.

Does this mean I would have been better putting on a set of £300 aftermarket springs and dampers to get the best from my car?