ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just had my pads/lines/fluid done, and brakes seem worse?

Nissan 350Z
OK, last week i had my OEM pads which were worn, changed to the new green stuff pads, and while i was at it, i had the brake fluid changed (castrol DOT4) and metal brake lines installed.

What I noticed at first was the much better pedal feel on the brake (that'll be the metal lines presumably), and the brakes seemed to work in a positive fashion.

Today i took my car out on a blat across the countryside. I'd like to say at this point that although my driving was spirited, it was certainly a long way off being flat out fast driving. Nevertheless, I felt the brakes now performed poorly. :S

It was not long until that familiar spongey feeling was back, and before long, i had to pull over because to be quite honest, the brakes had become dangerously poor and I got out to have a look and sure enough the pads were smoking away.

I couldnt quite believe this as I had not even got close to abusing these brakes really. Just normal spirited driving, using engine braking where possible and only really using the brakes for the really tight corners, and yet here they were after not very long starting to really lose their effectiveness.

If I'd driven with any sort of intent, they literally would not have lasted more than a couple of minutes IMO.

Will these pads get better with use? Because as it stands I have very little confidence in the brakes of the car now, which seemed better on OEM as it stands, and I was led to believe this would be a good improvement.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
They might need longer to bed in . I thought you were supposed to treat the greenstuff pads like any other pad and not abuse em too much for the first couple of hundred miles so they don't glaze over ?

You could try taking them out and rub down the surface of the pads with some emery cloth , see if this helps .

ph1 172
you could easily overheat the brakes if they werent properly bedded in. Until they are bedded in they dont have the whole of the pad in contact with the disk so all the heat is concentrated

Nissan 350Z
As far as i know it was all bled properly and fitted properly. The bloke who did it for me builds racing minis and is / has been a mechanic with his own business. I've had plenty of stuff done by him before and its all been ok.

I'll just see how they develop over the next few hundred miles or so.

I didnt actually realise you had to pussyfoot the brakes when you get them.

I know when I had new pads on mine (Pagid Blue) I had to drive around for a couple of hundred miles doing gentle braking only to wear the pads into the shape of the disks.

Once I'd done that I had to do about 4 lots of hard-as-you-can braking from 100-50 then a final go from 100 down to 30, then drive around to let them cool off.

(or something similar to that anyway!)

Megane225FF
I've got the greenstuff pads on mine & never suffered from this spongeyness feeling.. sounds like something's wrong. Get it checked out.