ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just installed 197 Cams (7 deg)

So I've just taken my 172 from the garage after the above work & the garage noted it's not holding idle & just dying if no revs are held
So this isn't ideal in a traffic situation as I don't enjoy making a racket particularly

Is this normal before having the car mapped? I thought 7 deg would be ok, I'd hate to think what 8 or even 9 are like!

tia

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Somethings not right. I had 197 cams timed up to 7 degrees, and the car ran fine and the idle was good (apart from being lumpy due to the cams) on the long drive up to EFI for mapping.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Not an expert on this. Would have thought rough idle not cutting out would be the issue.

Like i say, not an expert.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Straight to bad mouthing the garage! They fitted 197 cams and timed them way out of tolerance as requested. The ECU has no chance on a standard map to control idle. It will also be very lean mid range so go easy on the drive to mapping!

As said allowing a small air leak will help for the drive to mapping but it will still be pig until mapped and possibly will still stall on occasions after.. its normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight to bad mouthing the garage! They fitted 197 cams and timed them way out of tolerance as requested. The ECU has no chance on a standard map to control idle. It will also be very lean mid range so go easy on the drive to mapping!

As said allowing a small air leak will help for the drive to mapping but it will still be pig until mapped and possibly will still stall on occasions after.. its normal

I don’t feel it was a request way out of tolerance tbh, I asked previously what people usually time them to and 7 degrees was the norm for 197 cams?

Okay thanks, can cope with the occasional stall but not every time I take it out of gear yknow

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
I don’t feel it was a request way out of tolerance tbh, I asked previously what people usually time them to and 7 degrees was the norm for 197 cams?

Okay thanks, can cope with the occasional stall but not every time I take it out of gear yknow

When you see how much effort and work it takes to map these to run perfectly you can appreciate just how much the calibration is changed, so to expect it to run okay on a standard map isn’t going to happen.

Pull the small pipe that normally goes to the acoustic valve on the front of the inlet for a small vacuum leak, it’ll raise the RPM a bit [emoji106]

When you see how much effort and work it takes to map these to run perfectly you can appreciate just how much the calibration is changed, so to expect it to run okay on a standard map isn’t going to happen.

Pull the small pipe that normally goes to the acoustic valve on the front of the inlet for a small vacuum leak, it’ll raise the RPM a bit [emoji106]

Idek if the car is running on a standard map actually, was in quite a state when I bought it, questionable bodges that have now been rectified but it's a possibility?

We're fitting ITB's soon & then it will be remotely mapped by a third party recommended by Motorsport Electronics before driving it up to EFI for final mapping, that's my plan

Assuming the pipe is the one circled below @incy-spider ?
IMG_2499.jpg
Is there anywhere it needs to be rerouted so is it ok just being disconnected and tucked?

Thanks in advance

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Didnt you research the effects of 197 cams and 7° timing? You should have had mapping lined up for right after, or arranged with the garage to sort it. They've clearly done this before as they have the tool

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
I’d imagine the acoustic valve down behind the bumper has been bypassed with an after market filter anyway. So yeah just pull it and tuck it away. I took a blanking plug that I could just shove on for the mapping

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Didnt you research the effects of 197 cams and 7° timing? You should have had mapping lined up for right after, or arranged with the garage to sort it. They've clearly done this before as they have the tool

That was my point ! I wasn't just bad mouthing the garage just meant that if they have done this before then they should be aware of the issue it will cause and advise you ref mapping and the issues you will have till you do.
Also to do what as been mentioned here to help until then.

Yes I looked at videos & spoke to numerous owners hence my thread wondering what's going on, majority of people have been very helpful and I am appreciative of this
I actually have a plan if you continued to read the thread but thanks for the concern

That was my point ! I wasn't just bad mouthing the garage just meant that if they have done this before then they should be aware of the issue it will cause and advise you ref mapping and the issues you will have till you do.
Also to do what as been mentioned here to help until then.

Yes, as aforementioned in the fifth message, they advised the car will need mapping when I picked it up & I have a plan to get it running close to what it should be before driving it for final mapping

I feel like I need to justify my reason for this thread; as above the information I found differs from how my car has reacted & wanted to get a knowledgeable second opinion for more peace of mind. Jeeez giving someone else a break today it seems

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yes I looked at videos & spoke to numerous owners hence my thread wondering what's going on, majority of people have been very helpful and I am appreciative of this
I actually have a plan if you continued to read the thread but thanks for the concern

Yes, as aforementioned in the fifth message, they advised the car will need mapping when I picked it up & I have a plan to get it running close to what it should be before driving it for final mapping

I feel like I need to justify my reason for this thread; as above the information I found differs from how my car has reacted & wanted to get a knowledgeable second opinion for more peace of mind. Jeeez giving someone else a break today it seems
I did continue to read, but you're always going to need some form of mapping. It's fine wanting to do it in steps but you're shooting yourself in the foot by not bundling some parts together.

I'm surprised the garage didnt advise in advance so you could tell them what you were planning (ITBS).

I did continue to read, but you're always going to need some form of mapping. It's fine wanting to do it in steps but you're shooting yourself in the foot by not bundling some parts together.

I'm surprised the garage didnt advise in advance so you could tell them what you were planning (ITBS).

We're fitting the ITB's & ECU ourselves
Couldn't fit the cams & time them and frankly didn't want the risk of it

So the scenario options were either:
Fit ITB's & ECU then drive it to garage for cams & back and then get it remotely mapped when it's back home
Or
The way we did, standard car down to the garage, cams fitted, back home for ITB's & ECU and then doesn't need to commute anywhere for anything just needs remote mapping which will be done by driving locally

We had a brief conversation with the garage regarding the cars plan & I assume my partner had previously told them that it's going to be remotely mapped before going to EFI

Clio Cup RS2 172 04'
Same problem on my RS2 172 with 197 cams and semi Group N (exhaust only) timing. The engine stalls at every roundabout. I think your timing was done unproperly and that you were in the same situation as mine. The problem is that here in France the special tool for 197 cams doesn't exist, i need to get one shipped to me from UK...

Clio Cup RS2 172 04'
I sayed s**t, the semi Group N timing is 6 degrees on the intake and standard on the exhaust. With the previous timing (i don't know it precisely), my engine was running very well and now with 6 degrees it stalls on idle. I hope that 8 degrees will make a difference ?