ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-tec Gearbox Mount Problem - See post No112

Si

RS Clio 172
Re: K-tec Gearbox Mount Problem

will maching 4mm off the bottom of the top fitting no be a 100% fix then? I cba to get it fitted only to have to sort it out myself a few days later.

182cup & 172 racecar

My recess was big enough but the whole thing was just to long.I was lucky in one way as I took the whole out to do it,so I noticed it straight away,I think it would be more difficult to pick up if done in situ.

Clio 172 PH2 (Y Reg)

Well this is annoying, I got mine last week and just dropped her off today for a load of work doing, will have to let the garage know tomorrow to skim 4 mm off the bottom then!

I hate cars!

Last edited:
  172 Cup

I find this strange, my set is 100% ok, does not rattle or come loose and the mount thread sticks out the top of the nut! Now im thinking i fitted mine correctly and all this mess about vibra technics maching them wrong is a load of balls. i spoke to k-tec when fitting mine, tbh the bloke i spoke to after andy didn't really know what i was trying to explain but however i decided to crack on. Because there are no instructions, i fitted as the first few pics have been in this thread, it didn't look or feel right so i looked at the picture on the old website which showed the assy layout.

1. Remove old mount

2. fit small washer to gearbox mount thread

3. fit rubber mount piece with dome facing up

4. fit casting surround and secure with supplied nuts/bolts

5. fit top washer and mount bolt!

This should fit a treat and beings the dome sit's flush into the casting, this prevents the movement!!

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps! I can supply pics if needed tomorrow!

:D

That's exactly how all of us have fitted them

It's not 'a load of balls' - the casting is 4mm too long so hits the hexagon part of the gearbox bolt and doesn't fully tighten up. Not really keen on your attitude accusing all of us of fitting them wrong - it's not exactly rocket science is it

Was yours delivered during this month? Have you even checked afterwards to see if the bottom washer is loose after fitting?

The only thing I can see that you've done differently is you've put the rubber bush under the metal casting - instead of on top - which isn't how they are meant to be fitted - look at the pic I posted of how they come cable tied together - that's the order they're meant to be fitted in!!

I am calm - But after KTR have said all 45 sets are machined wrong - I find it a bit off that he comes on and says its "a load of balls" and we've all fitted them wrong :(

The way he's suggesting they are fitted makes the metal casing completely redundant and is completely wrong

Si

RS Clio 172

he was just trying to help. hell. it's not as if he didn't do a hub nut up, Phillip.

TrackCar & F30 330d

I find this strange, my set is 100% ok, does not rattle or come loose and the mount thread sticks out the top of the nut! Now im thinking i fitted mine correctly and all this mess about vibra technics maching them wrong is a load of balls. i spoke to k-tec when fitting mine, tbh the bloke i spoke to after andy didn't really know what i was trying to explain but however i decided to crack on. Because there are no instructions, i fitted as the first few pics have been in this thread, it didn't look or feel right so i looked at the picture on the old website which showed the assy layout.

1. Remove old mount

2. fit small washer to gearbox mount thread

3. fit rubber mount piece with dome facing up

4. fit casting surround and secure with supplied nuts/bolts

5. fit top washer and mount bolt!

This should fit a treat and beings the dome sit's flush into the casting, this prevents the movement!!

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps! I can supply pics if needed tomorrow!

:D

Thats actually the wrong way of fitting it!

But if it worked for you then fair enough.

182cup & 172 racecar

Good rant anyway.I even made some desperate phone calls late at night because I thought I had fitted it wrong.

LOL It's the only criticism I had of the mounts - it wouldn't be hard to do a quick assembly drawing

I opened the box - saw there was no fitting instructions and just thought "oh - s**t"
A bit of common sense and taking your time when fitting and it's ok - but still it'd be nice when spending so much money to get some instructions lol

Ph1

Got to say this is fantastic service from Ktec to rectify this fault very swiftly and well done to the OP for this topic lol - Proves that forums can be very useful places at times

I reckon their should be instructions, just a basic black and white 3d type diagram would have done.

Si

RS Clio 172

yer hats of to ktec. my car wont move now anyway so even if i had the replacement part i wouldn't be able to get to my booking at rentech next tuesday. lol.

172 Cup

The old website pics showed a different assembled order which i followed! It worked 100% better and looked perfect! i have done approx 3000 miles now of fast road and track driving, still no faults!!

Could you link us to this assembly pic?

And how did it work 100% better? That kinda implies it doesnt work at all as being a gearbox mount without doing it the way you have LOL

172 Cup

Could you link us to this assembly pic?

And how did it work 100% better? That kinda implies it doesnt work at all as being a gearbox mount without doing it the way you have LOL

well kinda yeah. Why is everyone having problems with it coming loose, not tightning down fully etc but me?? Cant remember if i said, but like the pics show in this thread, i tried it that way first and struggled like fcuk! so i trid the other way which is spot on! Im sure its not the shim being slightly too thick. If im wrong ill hold my hands up high and be the first to admit i was wrong but mine are fine the way i have fitted them. I tried last night to find the pic's but they have been removed for the website revamp. Maybe KTEC still have them, it was pic 3, i remember it well.

I will take some pics tomorrow at work and post up tomorrow. Im unable to get on here at work so it will be the evening when their here!

TrackCar & F30 330d

Hi Guys,

Just to add to Fuzzy's comments, there has indeed been a problem with the mounts received from 01/03/2010 into our stocks. The Top Hats have been machined too tall and without enough clearance to clear the post when tightening down. We have tested our stock here to find the same problem. For this reason, any members having ordered, but not received their gearbox mounts will be doing so once the stock has been rectified.

Sean.

well kinda yeah. Why is everyone having problems with it coming loose, not tightning down fully etc but me?? Cant remember if i said, but like the pics show in this thread, i tried it that way first and struggled like fcuk! so i trid the other way which is spot on! Im sure its not the shim being slightly too thick. If im wrong ill hold my hands up high and be the first to admit i was wrong but mine are fine the way i have fitted them. I tried last night to find the pic's but they have been removed for the website revamp. Maybe KTEC still have them, it was pic 3, i remember it well.

I will take some pics tomorrow at work and post up tomorrow. Im unable to get on here at work so it will be the evening when their here!

There is somthing wrong with the top hats, are you stupid and cannot read?

We have assembled them correctly but if you can read K-tecs comment the mounts are wrong.

172 Cup

My set is not a new set brought after march 1st so in that case other batch's have been wrong aswell! No im not stupid and yes i can read, thank's for asking! Im saying that it fits better and works as it should the way i have installed it! Im at home today now so will get a couple of pic's when the missus is back with the car, see what you think and have a go?! It may mean to a few people that they wont have to wait for the new top washer!

What the hell - so your batch isn't even a faulty one

You've just fitted it wrong then - for no reason lol

The way you've fitted it the metal casing does nothing - you've got the bush upside down completely

TrackCar & F30 330d

Deffently fitted it incorrectly.

I wasnt even sure you could fit it that way.

Get some pics and we'll have you fix it! lol

Phase 1 172

will be looking forward to seeing these fitted as i would like to invest in some myself :)

172 Cup

What the hell - so your batch isn't even a faulty one

You've just fitted it wrong then - for no reason lol

The way you've fitted it the metal casing does nothing - you've got the bush upside down completely

The ali cast piece is doing its job, it is keeping the bush solid but slotting nice and flush over the top!
Im sure if it was wrong it wouldn't fit properly, have play/movement but hey ho, im not having issues, im happy!! My engine does not move at all. I fitted the same way as the assembled order on k-tecs first website pics. There is no explanation into why the new pic's are different!

I'll head out soon and get the pic's

Ph1

Washer

Spacer block

Mount / bush fitted with blue marking face up.

Top hat slotted in.

Bolt up.

Thats the right way is it not ??

TrackCar & F30 330d

Washer

Spacer block

Mount / bush fitted with blue marking face up.

Top hat slotted in.

Bolt up.

Thats the right way is it not ??

Yes thats the way i did it and it the way i showed on the first page of the thread :)

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2

Hi guys,

OK, so here are two pics to hopefully clear this one up. One shows the revised top hat against the incorrect ones. As a side point, if people have the taller top hats from previous batches, i.e. before March 1st, do not be concerned, the overall assembly height was the issue, the easiest remedy was to adjust the top hats. It is in fact the case the mount body has reduced in heigh, very slightly, but this cannot be remedied with ease.

The second image shows the correct assembly order, loose of course. This is photographed on the gearbox pin.

Top to bottom, it goes as per website pic:

1. Nylock Nut
2. Washer
3. Top Hat Aluminium
4. Rubber Mount
5. Casting
6. Rubberised spacer, bevel side down.

Sean.

Attachments

• DSCF3034.jpg
    DSCF3034.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCF3035.JPG
    DSCF3035.JPG
    458.6 KB · Views: 183

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
New mounts from our stock have started leaving today, replacement parts from Vibra-technics should start leaving from tomorrow, please allow for the Bank Holiday weekend in the delivery times.

Sean.

Si

RS Clio 172
Cheers, Sean. I'll get mine turned down at work tomorrow so I can fit it Tuesday :D

is there an exact measurement of the correct height anywhere?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Coooooool, very quick turn around.

I think K-tec should give me a free-bee for finding this problem in the first place lol, (only joking) ;)