ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K4M Rally Build

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
Next up I decided to remove the boot as it was a bit scratched. I then in my wisdow smashed the glass and will replace it with a polycarbonate window. Again sanded down, few coats of primer and a few coats of black.

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
Mid progress

Attachments

• IMG_20191119_160753.jpg
    IMG_20191119_160753.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 65

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
My next plan was to grind back the subframe and insert the m8 rivnut bolts ready for the PMS sump guard. Few coats of zinc primer followed by a few coats of black and clear lacquer.

Attachments

• IMG_20191114_184608.jpg
    IMG_20191114_184608.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20191114_184710.jpg
    IMG_20191114_184710.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 94

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
over the last few nights I have been paying attention tot he bottom end, I have had the block pressure washed and blown dry. I was looking into getting it honed but I cant help but notice it being in very good nick indeed. So I popped to the local machine shop to get the crank picked up, all measures out perfectly along with it nicely polished.

The next step I decided to do was to measure all the mains and big ends by a final re assembly with plastiguage. Just giving me even more peace of mind.

all parts laid o
IMG_20191113_163333.jpg
ut prior to assembly.

could not find a picture of the piston ring location anywhere but @bloke came to my rescue.

all pistons were decoked and de carboned prior to fitting new piston rings. Came up like new in the end, and wash happy the way the engine build was progressing.

piston.jpeg

maybe after 2-3years of development i would like to build a fully forged engine later on down the line.

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
that's about as far as I got with the engine up until now.

some rally p**n on the back wall for motivation.
cylinder head inspection.jpeg

few more things I need to do to the cylinder head before fitting the head gasket and bolting them together. But the majority of the work is done there new stem seals, lapped valves in, new 75deg thermostat fitted.

cylinder head.jpeg

cant wait to get this all back together with some 197 cams fitted.

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
and lastly but not least was turning my attention to the front hubs. These looked in a sorry state when I took them off the car, so invested in a 12 tonne bench press and got the old ones pressed out, well if only that easy.
old bearing.jpeg

bearing exploded upon touching them and had to weld a bead around the inner that was remaining. Then it was much easier to remove. I saw this trick on YOUTUBE worked a right treat. Then it was time to get the wire wheel over them.
hub.jpeg

soon to be treated with 3 coats of zinc primer, 3 coats of VHT silver and 3 coats of lacquer, before finally having a new set of bearings pressed into them.

bearing press.jpeg

the end result doesnt look to shabby if i dont mind saying myself. All clean and easy to work on at the local track if required.

hub new.jpeg