ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K4M tappet cover question

Clio
Hi there,

Those of you who are familiar with this kind of engine, more so the head...
The tappet cover, does it hold the cams in place, or are there horseshoe brackets that hold the cams in place?

If tappet cover holds cams in place, then the next question is, if I get the cam/timing kits from Renault, will that hold the cams in place if I take tappet cover off without removing the timing belt? Or do I have to remove the timing belt regardless if you remove tappet cover?

Reason for the questions is I need to check for a dodgy hydrolic lifter or alikes, possibly the tappet which runs on the square lobe on the exhaust cam. Called a backlash compensator apparently (source: Renault).
Rather than taking everything apart and finding nothing wrong, then the rash of piecing all back together for nothing.

90% sure my metallic rattle (bit like a marble in a tin can) between 2k5 and 3k under slight throttle isn't dephaser, and 99% sure that its not bearing knock as the tapping has been there since new, and since clocked 60k over 3 years with a few trackdays in between. Dephaser is generally noisy at startup when cold at idle. Bearing knock disappears generally when hot and above 2k rpm. Oil type and quality doesn't effect rattle sound or intensity.

Definitely not exhaust manifold or associated rattle as tapping matches rpm frequency between 2.5k rpm and 3k rpm and is deffinately loud enough to be internal moving part related.

Advice/ideas/suggestions all welcome :)
Thx

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The top covers do indeed double up as the cam carrier so to remove it you will need to remove the cambelt and the camshaft pulleys to and for that you will need access to some special tools which we use for carrying out the timing belt service. Also, when replacing the cover you must first remove all traces of the old sealant and then re-seal it before refitting it. Silicone is not a safe sealant to use in this area either so don't chance it ;)

Mick

Evo
Seems like your in a back corner mate, obviously something sounds wrong but thanks to Renaults silly design you cant just pop the cover off to have a look :(

Good reason to do a cambelt change though? What mileage is it on?

Clio
Thanks for the headsup guys!
Silly design but what can we do hey. I still ask myself why I love Renaults sometimes... but then when I sit behind the wheel reminds me why ;)

Car has 70k on the clock.
Spoke to a ex-Renault guru today and he seems to think its insufficient oil pressure, which makes the dephaser knock, faulty oil pump. He's had exactly the same happen on a Megane and Scenic with the k4m engine, he replaced oil pump after testing for low oil pressure, it solved the noise. So going to test oil pressure and see what it uncovers.

Clio
nah it's just the dephaser pulleys are REALLY s**t on the K4M. Not changing the oil often enough will contribute too

That's the general consensus I get back from most guys.
I've serviced every 7500kms instead of every 150000. So twice as much as recommended, and with the best oil available. Its made noise from new, its only now I've got to the point of f@#king sick of it and going to fix it regardless