ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kangoo 172 cup

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
What headlights are you running on the 225 out of curiosity?
Factory xenons up front, i think they were something daft like £800 ontop. Its lux pack so decent spec, climate, pack p, xenons & keyless. The only option it did not have was panoramic roof thank god.

Pic of it in the bodyshop recently, had a minor off at the nurburgring in it last year so went in for a freshen up
7A68205A-639C-48B1-9108-83F42C227678.jpeg

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
How bizarre! I asked because they didn't look like PH1 Xenons in that picture! They looked like some 'nice' aftermarket jobs which is unheard of....

Xenon fwends.... :)

IMAG1614.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Rear suspension

The rear shocks have been on the list for replacement for a while, due to them being original and circa 180k and quite soft. When i rebuilt the rear beam i noticed how similar they looked to to gtt/clio1 16v rear shocks. Bought a new pair of clio1 16v gaz rear adjustable rebound/bump off ebay for £120 new direct from gaz so not badly priced - took a gamble as did not know if they would go straight on.

New vs old - shorter when fully extended so ideal for lowered
20180421_153821.jpg

Fully compressed - only possible on softest setting
20180421_153841.jpg

Minor mod required to top bush - the gaz were 44mm where oem are 40mm so popped insert out and trimmed/trimmed polybush to suit so bolt has clearance off tyre
20180426_193417.jpg

Fitted - bolt straight on - had to trim lower washers so adjusters would fit - arches degreased and power washed - come up ok
20180421_153508.jpg

20180421_153526.jpg
20180421_163956.jpg

Less droop on beam when jacked up with shocks fitted
20180428_163342.jpg

Trimmed rear arch liners and raised torsion bar 10mm - hardly noticeable but gives so much more clearance. I tested clearance by dropping the shocks to softest setting and loading the rear up which put it on the bumpstops and still enough clearance all round - its tight with 7j wheels and the larger sidewalls of the AD08r but acceptable. These mods combined with the shocks set at half way - 8 clicks from soft has made a massive difference - i had the occasional chirp off the rear tyres on large compressions/large bumps with oem rear shocks and that has now gone. The stiffer rear has improved turn in too and the ride is firm yet acceptable for road use with the option to back it off a little if needs be.
20180428_174623.jpg
20180428_200626.jpg
20180428_204724.jpg

In other news i have swapped downstream/post cat lambda around to see if it cures the slight hesitation it has. Its better but still not 100% and no faults present and live data checks out ok so can only assume injector on its way out. Will ride it out for now its drivable. Thanks for reading !

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Chasing the misfire

So not had much joy curing this minor misfire. No codes stored on ecu and live data checks out ok.

List of things done

Coilpack, leads and plugs changed still the same

Cam timing bang on - done it before with cam timing slightly out

Lambdas swapped - both seem to check out ok on live data

Checked injector resistance all 15.8 ohms so all appear to check out - might get them cleaned on local ansu machine !?

Cleaned map sensor and fitted new o rings as only had one loose fitting oring

Cleaned throttle body

Rewired s**t connections to tdc sensor - also cleaned tdc and found out that the bolts were loose when removing !

Shitty crimp and twisted wires
20180505_134503.jpg

Soldered and heat shrinked
20180505_142542.jpg

It drives ok and only the odd cough usually when crawling in 2nd so maybe im being too fussy - probably runs and idles better than most 172/182s. Its getting to the crystal ball of swapping every part which gets expensive and tedious so will ride it out a bit longer.

Have been keeping ontop of the bodywork since machine polish still looks great. Been using it a bit too great on fuel 35mpg all the time cant argue with that for a 2.0. Thats all for now !
20180507_175004.jpg

20180507_174945.jpg
20180507_210317.jpg

I've only just seen this, it think it's the dogs!!! Your write ups are nice too (I've just read them all) Plus your driveway & garage's are looking ace! ??

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I've only just seen this, it think it's the dogs!!! Your write ups are nice too (I've just read them all) Plus your driveway & garage's are looking ace! ??

Cheers ? built the garage from scratch last year, Ill dig out some pre pics to stick on. Garden is 90% complete need to get a couple of little bits done but nothing too major.

You got a thread for the extra van . ? Or pics ?

I have a big thread on TurboRenault for the extra https://turborenault.co.uk/threads/extra-turbo.686/

I might just bang all the pics of the current cars on here when i have updates if thats ok with everybody ? keep it all in one place.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Small update

Had the Kangoo weighed and come out a lardy 1138kg ! Its quite superleggera too with no airbags or abs etc. I reckon it would be a struggle to get it under 1000kg without going really agressive taking everything out. As i quite like it as it is interior is quite a nice place to be, the plan is to add power to overcome the extra weight.
20180513_144629.jpg
20180513_144142.jpg

In other news clutch release bearing has started to screech and gearbox is not great with knackered 4th gear syncro. Ive pushed my luck and done 3x trackdays on it so had my moneys worth! The gearchange is shocking so have been looking out for a PMS setup for it. After keeping an eye out for them in stock on the pms website but always missing the boat and missing the group buy on here i seen Kev@kamracing post that he had one in stock so snipered it.

Its a great bit of kit, really well made. I will need to make a 20mm collar to drop it slightly so the shifter rod does not hit the subframe as kangoo tunnel is slightly taller than clio.
20180529_135750.jpg
20180529_135428.jpg
20180529_135417.jpg
itching to get it fitted not sure whether to hang on until new gearbox is fitted. Will be done for cs festival as i want to get it out on track.

Also a few random pics when out and about. Thanks for reading all !
20180516_200158.jpg
20180516_200134.jpg
20180519_194646.jpg
20180519_194456.jpg

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Love this!
Can you give some more info on the conversion please? Can you use the Kangoo fuel tank/pump etc?

Edit: Assuming you started off with a petrol engine.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Love this!
Can you give some more info on the conversion please? Can you use the Kangoo fuel tank/pump etc?

Edit: Assuming you started off with a petrol engine.

Mine was originally diesel and as far as im aware its still the diesel tank. I didnt do the conversion however have pretty much rebuilt every part of it due to bodges. Its currently got 172 sender and pump with the float off the kangoo sender so the fuel gauge reads correct at the top. 172 sender goes straight in.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Give the engine bay some tlc last weekend. As bought - functional
20180324_135001.jpg

Whipped inlet plenum/fuel rail guard off and give them a clean up with wire brush on a drill.
20180610_111217.jpg

I had some carb restore paint kicking about so give it a light coating as free and in stock.
20180610_112124.jpg
Had a new inlet gasket in stock so stuck it on as the one fitted had been re used a few times in my ownership. Regret not painting camcover whilst i had it off when resealing it/doing belts last year.

20180610_112204.jpg

Refitted when dry. Degreased the painted surfaces and give them a polish/wax by hand and some trim gel on the plastics. Its no show winner but tidy enough for now. Will do engine mount to suit when i get more paint.
20180610_173022.jpg
20180610_173016.jpg

Fired it up and running fine. Come back to it a few hours later fire it up and slight misfire on idle and can hear a ht lead arcing out on the inlet ! Moved the leads and it stopped - guess leads are well past their best so have ordered a new set of oem renault leads so will need to strip the plenum off again next weekend lol. Hoping it will cure the occasionsal misfire it has.

Quick wash off and trim gel on the outside
20180610_173211.jpg

Also rebuilt a R5gtt Solex 32Dis for a gtt im working on, turned out quite nice. Nice lazy Sunday of light spannering in the sun.
20180610_170031.jpg
20180610_170040.jpg

I have also got a valeo clutch in stock ready for gearbox swap soon £68 from gsf. Itching to get my pms shifter on ! Thanks for reading
20180610_203904.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Update

Ordered new oem Renault beru leads to replace the knackered ones fitted.

Cant beat new oem parts in the original packaging.
20180613_214839.jpg

Quick stripdown had to be careful not to chip my painted inlet.

Old vs new, lead that goes to cylinder number 1 looks damaged where it meets the plug when looking at them carefully. Note new leads are 90deg compared to the old ones that come straight up from the plug.
20180615_131356.jpg

Fitted
20180615_133243.jpg

Runs & idles bang on now, the slight hesitation it had has gone. Its nice and smooth compared to last weeks poppy 3 & 1/2 cylinder idle so quite pleased with that as i feel like ive been chasing this for a while.

Next job was to try my new ecu/uch & key. Basically my uch has a fault - rear door is always open lighting door open symbol on the dash and the rcl does not flash when locking the doors. Its minor but annoying so want it fixed before any future mapping etc. I assume somebody has put the immobiliser chip out of the 172cup uch into a n3 out of a povo spec clio as the engine is listed as d4f as pic below.
20170910_142830.jpg

Received a package on Wed this week with new N3 uch/ecu and key
20180613_214829.jpg
batt negative off and pulled my ecu out - mine is on the left and different ecu.
20180615_142242.jpg
Pins matched so stuck it in and fitted uch, 5 mins job done as uch is easy to access. Stick batt negative terminal on and tried central locking off the key which worked correctly giving 2x flashes of indicators when locked and no door warning illuminated so my wiring is good and old uch is faulty. Ign on and a solid immobiliser light - locked/unlocked a couple of times then ign on immobiliser light went off - fuel pump primed up and fired up.

As expected asr/eml and serv light were on as mine has no abs etc and this uch is configured for stock 172. Scanned it with my cheap bluetooth dongle as not got a can clip at the mo and post cat lambda fault stored from previous car. Cleared it and only other issue is high idle for some reason 1200rpm ? Unsure why this is as no air leaks and no issues on old ecu.
20180615_140609.jpg

Need to hook it up to clip when my new clone can clio turns up and see whats going on, may be related to lack of abs/asr? Will reconfig uch reset throttle parameters and go from there. Refitted old setup for now so can keep using it with normal 800rpm hot idle.

Thanks for reading ?

Last edited:

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I always enjoy reading your updates ^^ All that sounds exactly like something I would do!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Update

Jc5 129 with speedo sensor collected, get that fitted soon
20180702_195119_001.jpg

Took it to FCS last weekend, steady drive there and back drives great with new leads on, no hesitation or nowt. As still on knackered gearbox took it steady as 3/4th gear crunch is quite bad now.

Late night greasy spoon on A453 night before fcs as the harvester pub at the travel lodge had ran out off chicken!? Eggs and chips was awesome and mega cheap. Recommended if near Donington.
20180706_212931.jpg
20180706_212919.jpg

20180706_213154.jpg

A few pics from FCS, weather was awesome.
20180707_094626.jpg
20180707_094640.jpg

FB_IMG_1531238223706.jpg
FB_IMG_1531238323822.jpg
FB_IMG_1531238233677.jpg

New clone Can Clip turned up yesterday. Bought the gold board model which supposidly has the 'high quality chip'. Works great at the moment see how long it lasts ! Should get the new ecu and uch set in and reconfigured this weekend.
20180711_224058.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Check out the vin number on the current uch lol also case says n3 uch on the cover but scans as n2 ? Feck knows no wonder the rear door is always open.
20180711_232225.jpg

Thanks for reading ?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Weekend update

Refitted later 172 ecu/uch and fired engine up from cold - idled normal and settled down to 800ish rpm idle when hot. I scanned it with clip and a load of old faults were stored relating to ct temp sensor etc assuming off the old car - cleared them and no furthur idle issues - had no faults before and none returned.

As for esp light that is now gone. From a quick search of the boards i had thought it was not possible to remove - as uch/ecu was very cheap just went for it and had a couple of hours going through all settings and not worrying about it if it all goes wrong.

Started by reconfiguring the multiplex network to set abs and steering angle sensor to missing. This removed the multiplex faults that were present.
20180711_231056.jpg
20180711_231134.jpg
Serv light and esp were still on at this point so searched through settings - found course (Trajectory) control system which assumed esp light. Changed that to without and changed speedo to sensor instead of abs.
20180714_173704.jpg
esp light goes off and Serv still on. My airbag light does not work and knew airbags were not connected so recalibrated to suit.
20180714_174334.jpg

Serv light still on lol. Faults test says side sensor config.
20180714_174757.jpg

I get a feeling either a sensor is plugged in or wiring shorted - theres no airbag ecu or sensors etc the wiring is stashed behind centre console.

Pull wiring out and find one lone sensor connected up - lateral sensor ?? Disconnect it and serv goes straight off.
20180715_083533.jpg

Job done ?? Nearly. Go down the road and the raid setting on central locking is not working - mess about trying to make it work holding button down no joy. Its handy to have working to lock the doors when moving with it being a van.

Plug the airbag sensor back in and reconfig it to accept sensor and raid working again - maybe coincidence but im sure its tied into the central locking to unlock the doors in the event of impact ?? Anyway no serv light on and the main reason for swapping the lockset was to fix the door always open symbol which worked great.

Test drive to make sure all is ok

20180715_152158.jpg

Test drive goes ok but notice throttle not as responsive - map appears to be stock with 7200rpm limiter and 5k crossover but just feels a bit off - mainly noticing needs more throttle using heel and toe on the downshift (this is to stop crunch on gearchange because of knackered syncros lol)

So i get clip back on and reinitialize and learn the throttle position/fuelling adaptives. Fire engine up and can tell a difference straight away the idle is nice and smooth. Take it for a drive to run through the pressure zones as instructed in the workshop manual and throttle response is improved and back to normal.

I know a few of you might think its mad going to all this effort for a couple of warning lights but to me its well worth doing. The interior lights work properly now the door warning symbol is off and the indicators dual flash when locked - no more funny issues with uch going to sleep etc. Maximise what i have too and its all running great at the moment. I quite lile the n/a setup however it might be short lived as i have just agreed to buy a forged meg r26 lump?

A quick pic of a few of the cars lined up at the weekend to finish as pulled the 225 out of the garage for a blast. Thanks for reading !
20180714_145853.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
EPIC EPIC EPIC

But the beans hanging off that plate would send me wild!!!

Nearly had the beans all over the table haha. I rarely go to a greasy spoon but this was awesome, massive plate of filth

Good work on the eletronics ?

Could be a useful addition to the thread about 'what dash lights are needed for the MOT?', or whatever it's titled lol

I hope its of use to people in the future ?

Love the van! Needs some clear side repeaters imo...

Cheers mate, i have some clear side repeaters and some headlamps off the last of this shape kangoo with clear indicators. Bought them and not fitted, might try them one day and see how it looks?

I was zooming into the numberplates on the cars trying to work out wtf you were on about and I've only just realised you meant the food!

Looks great as always brigsy and good news on the esp situation

The funny thing is... I’d written “did they not fancy serving your beans correctly” in the reply section... then read further on... saw the reply about the beans and went back through the photos because I thought I’d missed something ???

Attention to detail is absolutely perfect on this build!

Can I send you my ECU and UCH for you to code stuff out of it and send back to me? Just a long shot ????

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I quite like it with the orange repeaters etc, it makes it look less modified (if you see what I mean ?)

I think when a a strapping bloke comes screaming past you in a van with some tricky camber, white 2118’s and lowered I think you’ll forget about the orange repeaters[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]