ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brigsy's other cars - formerly kangoo 172 cup

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I love France, this was parked round the corner from the Extra:
1000046922.jpg

It's old and still being used everyday I bet, none of the new plate snobbery that you get here.... Not outside of the big cities anyway.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
RRG update.

Took the Extra van to Mallory Park for Retro Rides gathering a couple of weeks ago. RRG is one of the best Retro car shows of the calendar year and is a mega day. I had booked the Extra on the 2 lap sprint in the afternoon for full send laps on high boost.

Id done a bit of prep and logging beforehand and all seemed OK after Anglesey. Noted boost pressure seemed less stable than usual and high boost was not as high as usual seemed to be down a couple of psi. Whatever afrs were good and it was safe so i blamed higher ambient temps when testing.

I done a few checks before setting off and all good. Coolant needed a little top up, hardly anything but done it regardless as its a long trip and im travelling light i.e. not a van full of spares as on the sprint.

Sets off and all going well. Stops off mid point to rest ears and piss.

Looks clean.
20240810_173529.jpg

Mrs points out that its pissing out coolant.
20240810_174939.jpg

Luckily this was an easy fix. Basically when id topped up coolant pre journey the seal on the header tank cap had decided to not seal and fold itself inside the cap. As the engine runs really cool on normal driving it didnt cause an issue but system was not holding pressure and it caused the coolant to raise/come out with the lack of seal when engine is switched off hot and coolant not circulating.

Ive had this issue before and have bought a few new caps including oem and they have all been shite quality, some not sealing from new. I had a spare cap with me in the flight box in the back and swapped seal over. New seal fixes the issue and header tank is sealed. Coolant was still on the max too as it was hot, looked like loads but hardly any lost, just needed a small top up the next day when cooled down.

Sets off and does another 100miles no issues at hotel the night before. Brim tank with tesco 99 ready for sprint laps.

Show day comes and get into Mallory park eventually after leg ache paddle clutch in traffic.

Surrounded by retro motors.
20240811_085605.jpg

On the TurboRenault stand.
20240811_101342.jpg

Afternoon comes and get over for the sprint. Its absolutely scorchio 25-28degrees so take numberplate off for max airflow as it will need all of it.

Queing up in the pitlane with @Renny 5
20240811_134929.jpg

20240811_135326.jpg

Mega banter with @Renny 5 as usual and we have managed to group up for the sprint runs. Mine c1j, Marks 5 172 powered with throttle bodies, lad behind (forget his name apologies!) Has a f7p engine on carbs from memory.

Anyway its usual comments of full send as its a sprint run so no tyre and brake warmup just get on it. My tyres still have a s**t load of pickup from Anglesey so not the best but full send it is!

Im first out in our group and straight out round gerrards from the pits.

Trying to warm up tyres on the job its fat out on exit of Gerrards late braking into Edwinas. Turn into Edwinas which is a sharp left and absolutely sideways on cold rear tyres which was not expected but manage to get it back fast without spinning.

Complete the lap and fast as poss round Gerrards as tyres seem to be on grip wise. Flat out on the exit of gerrards in 3rd gear, the engine is feeling super lively and i hear a massive bang out of the exhaust. I assume ive hit the hard cut rev limiter although rpm seemed lower than usual, bang it into 4th gear and it just feels a bit flat. Look at boost gauge just before devils elbow and boost pressure is right down to wastegate 12psi and fluctuating all over the place and my high boost switch is doing nothing its low boost or low boost.

Flat out exiting Gerrards and shot gun bang.

As its a sprint the 2nd lap is up and i get it back into the pits. Open bonnet, its about ten thousand degrees under there but i notice the Mac valve for boost control has self destructed and the centre is gone!

20240811_211026.jpg

I assume the bang exiting gerrards was actually boost cut and it was bleeding off more boost than it should have been, but luckily the engine is mapped for 27psi and boost cut is 300kpa (29ish psi) so nothing was hurt.

I call it a day at that and be thankful that it has not ejected a piston, liner or headgasket in the process.

Not very often that you see 2x Extra vans these days.
20240811_162848.jpg

Set off home at steady pace and made it back no furthur issues. Win some you lose some eh.

Last edited:

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
A few pics from on track. Its a shame i never got a few more sessions in as i like Mallory, its a quick circuit.

f4c1fc712ddb.jpg
eded901e70dc.jpg
IMG_20240824_225747_075.jpg
IMG_20240824_225742_872.jpg

A few days after Mallory i dug my spare mac valve out to fit. Was originally on the trophy briefly..test it and works OK so wire it up.

New one on the left.
20240814_163252.jpg

Fitted and static test that its working ok. Hook up laptop in prep for some datalogging in the future.

Wari software.
20240818_122216.jpg

Quick test on the street and wastegate pressure is back to solid 12psi and a quick tickle of high boost it goes straight up to 21/22psi in the mid range. Need to take it out on an evening and do some datalogging in 4th gear and tweak if necessary.

Had a job for it today. I had located a spare rear beam off a breaker Extra van and needed to collect it, and it aint fitting in my blue clio or kangoo compact so this was the vehicle for the job.

Short trip to Doncaster.
20240824_162825.jpg

Used as an actual van!
20240824_162850.jpg

The extra van beams are quite hard to come by now as they are about extinct. Plan is to refurb the rear beam and upgrade the bushes to a bearing kit thats available and can fit it straight on. The current rear beam bushes on the van itself are well worn and sloppy due to age/mileage and well overdue replacement.

Im going to see if i can sniff out either a whiteline rear arb for clio 1 williams/16v or something similar and fab up brackets to suit.

Thanks for reading!!

Renny 5

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 280 & R5
That KABOOM 💥 shame you didn’t get anymore Track time… mine was flying even though it was like being in Spain! Cant wait till next year, think Mallory is perfect for our motors. Always good to see everyone!